Heljan Class 25 in 7mm

Jack

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I've managed to finish the butchery of the Heljan/JLTRT cab fronts.

The results can be seen here.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/987152598004135/

Cheers.

Sean.

Tried to have a look but I don't do facebook so can't seem to view it - any chance of a picture on here as I'd like to see what you have done - sounds good....

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to have a look but I don't do facebook so can't seem to view it - any chance of a picture on here as I'd like to see what you have done - sounds good....

Hi deltic17.

Thanks for your interest. If you pop onto Western Thunder, I have been running a thread there.

http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/just-like-the-helbeat-25.5630/

Or Modellers United too.....

http://www.modellersunited.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1119

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi deltic17.

Thanks for your interest. If you pop onto Western Thunder, I have been running a thread there.

http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/just-like-the-helbeat-25.5630/

Or Modellers United too.....

http://www.modellersunited.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1119

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the update on Western Thunder - all I can say is it looks fantastic and well worth the effort. I have recently cut the cabs off my Heljan class 40 as they were too vertical and refitted them and it looks so much better - I will be posting an update/photos on RMWeb shortly. When you make your first cut to a £500 loco you do question what you are doing but if you plan it well it is worth it in the end.

Do JLTRT sell cabs separately do you know? as I might need to do something similar on the Heljan Peak when it appears as I don't really need a centre split version as is being produced.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the update on Western Thunder - all I can say is it looks fantastic and well worth the effort. I have recently cut the cabs off my Heljan class 40 as they were too vertical and refitted them and it looks so much better - I will be posting an update/photos on RMWeb shortly. When you make your first cut to a £500 loco you do question what you are doing but if you plan it well it is worth it in the end.

Do JLTRT sell cabs separately do you know? as I might need to do something similar on the Heljan Peak when it appears as I don't really need a centre split version as is being produced.

Who said it cost £500 Deltic17.....?

I know what you mean about that first cut though. Always that "have I done the right thing" moment!

I think if you speak to Laurie at JLTRT either by email or at the shows, he will advise what is available. Out of interest, which version are you after as the single piece class 46 type grill is the same dimensions as the split centre box minus the centre bar.

Cheers.

Sean.

Who said it cost £500 Deltic17.....?

I know what you mean about that first cut though. Always that "have I done the right thing" moment!

I think if you speak to Laurie at JLTRT either by email or at the shows, he will advise what is available. Out of interest, which version are you after as the single piece class 46 type grill is the same dimensions as the split centre box minus the centre bar.

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks for your reply - I was thinking of converting one to a centre split 46 and as you say that should be easy'ish'. A later marker light version would also be on my list to create too. I will speak to JLTRT.....

Gone slightly off topic but no worries, I'd say that if the Heljan version is released with the split centre boxes, just cutting out the centre bar and replacing the glazing would give a decent 46. Of course, there is then the triangular bodyside vent to think about.....

Right, getting things back on topic, I have posted progress of my class 25 conversion on FB. Recent work has involved "Dual braking" the model.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/987152598004135/

or you can see progress on Western Thunder or Modellers United.

Cheers.

Sean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A quick question please.

Does anybody know the current consumption of the fan motor in the 25?

Wanting to connect it to a DCC decoder output.

Thanks,

Mick

• 9 months later...

Good afternoon, just thought i’d reassurect this thread, I have just had my Heljan 25/1 finished by my good Friend Jintyman, here is picture below of the work stained mundane Rat, it is 5202 in its 1972 guise from a picture of it when it was stabled at Taunton during its working life.

David has made a stunning job of the sound fitment and weathering, below is the link to Jinty’s WB and on that page is the YouTube video, but for now below here it is on David’s plank, I hope it helps the nay sayers to see what can be done with this model.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115561-jintys-wb-for-7mm/page-32&do=findComment&comment=3137348

post-8721-0-07603200-1524484498_thumb.jpeg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon, just thought i’d reassurect this thread, I have just had my Heljan 25/1 finished by my good Friend Jintyman, here is picture below of the work stained mundane Rat, it is 5202 in its 1972 guise from a picture of it when it was stabled at Taunton during its working life.

David has made a stunning job of the sound fitment and weathering, below is the link to Jinty’s WB and on that page is the YouTube video, but for now below here it is on David’s plank, I hope it helps the nay sayers to see what can be done with this model.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115561-jintys-wb-for-7mm/page-32&do=findComment&comment=3137348

attachicon.gif5CA0A31C-4049-46E1-BC39-12403171B573.jpeg

And thanks to Craig and David / Jintyman, mine will arrive in a few weeks for my North Wales Line. STUNNING.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

David has made a stunning job of the sound fitment and weathering, below is the link to Jinty’s WB and on that page is the YouTube video, but for now below here it is on David’s plank, I hope it helps the nay sayers to see what can be done with this model.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115561-jintys-wb-for-7mm/page-32&do=findComment&comment=3137348

attachicon.gif5CA0A31C-4049-46E1-BC39-12403171B573.jpeg

Lovely job that!

Could I ask please where the speaker(s) is/are mounted? Mine are in the body but are a little muffled.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Lovely job that!

Could I ask please where the speaker(s) is/are mounted? Mine are in the body but are a little muffled.

Cheers.

I can answer that!!!

There are in fact two bass reflex speakers mounted above each gear tower, immediately behind the cab bulkheads on pedestals. Both speakers face downwards.

I also cut away the motor clamps to create a plastikard platform for the decoder to sit on centrally where the original circuit board sat, but with more clearance for the decoder and adaptor board

I use the Zimo MX696S decoder loaded with the Digitrains Activedrive sound project which was originally put together by Paul Chetter.

I don't have any pictures of the installation, but I can give you some idea by showing an earlier conversion that I'd done utilising the ESU Loksound L decoder and adaptor plate with the same speakers mounted in the same way. 

You can see the brass framework I've made up to support the speakers above the cardan shaft and gear tower.

post-14906-0-10134600-1528580895.jpg

The only downside is that the roof fan is not motorised, but simply glued in the correct position on top of the speaker directly underneath the fan aperture.

It isn't a downside for me as I'm not bothered that the fan doesn't work, I prefer the deeper bass sound.

Jinty ;)

Edited to say: Sorry it's took so long to post the answer!!!!! :(

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 2

I can answer that!!!

There are in fact two bass reflex speakers mounted above each gear tower, immediately behind the cab bulkheads on pedestals. Both speakers face downwards.

I also cut away the motor clamps to create a plastikard platform for the decoder to sit on centrally where the original circuit board sat, but with more clearance for the decoder and adaptor board

I use the Zimo MX696S decoder loaded with the Digitrains Activedrive sound project which was originally put together by Paul Chetter.

I don't have any pictures of the installation, but I can give you some idea by showing an earlier conversion that I'd done utilising the ESU Loksound L decoder and adaptor plate with the same speakers mounted in the same way.

You can see the brass framework I've made up to support the speakers above the cardan shaft and gear tower.

Hi. Just wondering what size of resistors are required for the lights?

25 06.jpg

The only downside is that the roof fan is not motorised, but simply glued in the correct position on top of the speaker directly underneath the fan aperture.

It isn't a downside for me as I'm not bothered that the fan doesn't work, I prefer the deeper bass sound.

Jinty ;)

Edited to say: Sorry it's took so long to post the answer!!!!! :(

Hi. Just wondering what size of resistors are required for the lights?

Edited by NIRCLASS80