Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Thanks for posting this Mick.   What is the significance of the "unworked points" just below Royal Oak North box on the diagram?    It's interesting that there's no advanced starter beyond the junction in the Filey direction.   I presume that (steam) locomotives turning would reverse out of the Holiday Camp station around the south curve to the up main and then run forward wrong road through catch point 5 and then reverse back to the Camp on the down north curve?   Sorry, so many questions... 

Thanks again,

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Mark, is the attached signalling drawing of any interest? The signalbox is not Filey Camp, but one of the Junction 'boxes.

attachicon.gifFILEY CAMP 1.jpg

attachicon.giffiley holiday,signal box.jpg

Hi Mick,

A great diagram and I think the signal box may be Royal Oak South looking at some similar pictures in Addyman & Fawcett's (2013) 'A History of the Hull and Scarborough Railway.

It's hard to believe the LNER built all this infrastructure in 1946-1947. 

Roadside beside Primrose Valley Holiday Park in the winter you can easily still make out the platforms and the concrete lamps of the holiday camp station.  Almost ghost like awaiting their next train.   I've never seen any DMU's or diesel hauled trains at the platforms though.

Thanks once again Mick.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I have now "Shrunk" the Filey Camp drawings, here is the full set.

attachicon.gifFILEY CAMP 1.jpg

attachicon.gifFILEY CAMP 2.jpg

attachicon.gifFILEY CAMP 3.jpg

attachicon.gifFILEY CAMP 4.jpg

Those drawings are excellent Mick.

They differ to the ones in Addyman & Fawcett's publication by being earlier.

Interesting how the box was in use and all points were hand worked.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. Firstly, I wish to thank Mick for the signalling diagrams of the Filey Holiday Camp branch which have been reproduced. They are an excellent compliment to those in various books and magazines which I have. I would like to know what a ''Williams one way lever'' is at the end of the platform lines - I believe the points were sprung. I assume that the 'lever' would have been to work those points by hand?

For tonight, I thought we would have a look at Beverley North. I believe, if I remember correctly, that the cabin was demolished in the late '80's. There are two photo' here . One is of the cabin, and the other looking up the line to Beverley station. Both are dated 25th March, 1984.

A1D2AEF9-39F2-4D20-8BF9-F269EADAB496.jpeg.adfc89537c05695df8195902411bc4f3.jpeg

EC01FFB6-84CC-4AF3-B200-D3C7ABADFCD7.jpeg.26c96c7f6cac5045dd298c7c46e05ebf.jpeg

With regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To add the missing photo’s.
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots Rob.

It's interesting how the signal boxes varied in design along the line. 

It almost looks as if Beverley North Box was extended at some point.  Was this the case?

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mark. I think Mick will be best placed to answer about whether the box was ever extended. And here's a photo' which I meant to add to the previous post, it is one looking down the line to Arram in June, 1976. :)

758E99BF-B22C-4823-9AA7-7CBD93B82C5F.jpeg.037a1e64642b9b2feab7a578d775f4a9.jpeg

With regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 3

Yes, Beverley Junction, has is was first known, was extended in 1910 when the Up and Down Goods Lines were provided. The 'box originated from 1874 and originally had a locking frame of 19 levers plus 1 Gate Wheel, 5 Spare levers. Sometime during 1933 the Junction was relaid with "K Crossings" (Switch Diamonds), the first in the area, though I'm not aware of any others.

Compared to other local 'boxes, the barriers came late, and were not provided until Sunday 10 February 1974.The 'box closed as from Sunday 17 March 1985 and was demolished 15 September 1985.

post-702-0-35203800-1442962855_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here is a rough sketch (Not Mine) of the Bridlington South layout and signalling

attachicon.gifBRIDLINGTON Signalling 1.JPG

That looks very much like the late Mr Woolstenholmes hand writing?

I've never seen any DMU's or diesel hauled trains at the platforms though.

Plenty here.

https://flic.kr/p/69WcCF

P

An interesting bit of pointwork, and once on the "Up Side" at Beverley Station, a "Barry Slip", photo taken 1980.

ment=623623:BARRY SLIP at Beverley 1980.jpg]

Mick,

Was this pointwork laid by the North Eastern or the LNER? If so, I wonder why they used this particular formation so rarely, or were there a number of other places (on the old NER) where this arrangement of pointwork was used?

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mick for those photo's. I've often wondered about that slip, and now I think that I've learned something about it.  Also, I beleive that an adjacent running line buckled in some summer heat in the early '60's, and as a result was lifted and not relaid - I think it was the up goods loop.

Tonight I tought that we would have a look at Cherry Tree, Beverley. Firstly, the photo' of the box has been posted before on 46444's thread, but I hope that Mark will not mind my re-posting it here. It and the photo' looking north to Beverley North were both taken in June, 1976, during the long hot summer of that year. Then there is a photo' looking towards Beverley station which dates from late August, 1981. Finally, there is a detail photo' of some structures near to Cherry Tree crossing which was taken in March, 1984.

Here is the box:

28632D0B-F5B0-4B57-AD9A-2A151960D63C.jpeg.c538434108e4b9cd925ca8ba42a474a6.jpeg

And here is the view looking north:

1975AF21-AE36-4059-8E24-C6942E742CA7.jpeg.edfc17abd2bc411bf84e7523d3a1fa48.jpeg

The photo' taken looking towards the station:

92782497-6B2E-4007-BB6B-2A4C65D5D241.jpeg.1c5910db9459ffa2fd0d904e5d1106ed.jpeg

The photo' of some structures - useful for model-making - notice the ground signal:

C3690AAE-8039-4E70-A0E1-1A784F29F646.jpeg.238027cb59acc5b2a7424f25c57578c8.jpeg

With best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To add the missing photo’s.
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A c1970 interior view of Beverley North. At this date and though some five years after the closing of the York Line, the 'box still had the complete frame in situ. A few years later the frame was shortened and the present barriers were installed. Photo' is a poor copy of a copy.

post-702-0-05121800-1443045417_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A view of Cherry Tree signalbox, and one not seen by many, from No29 Down Main Starter. Good modelling detail, roofs are usually the most prominent parts of our models.attachicon.gifCHERRY TREE Locking north - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

Nice shot Mick.

Wonder if that's a Fiat. Lada or Polski Fiat on the crossing?

The photos and information on this thread are brilliant may I recommend a dvd that covers the Hull Scarborough line and others Heritage Diesels on North Eastern lines Cinerail production,lots of green dmu,s etc and good shots of infrastructure including the Filey camp station .Found it by accident but glad I did the opening shots in Hull show how much old was left it was gas lit how long did that last?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, this thread has been a real trip down memory lane for me as I grew up in / went to school in Beverley from 1974-85. Parents still live in the area, but it's been many years since I've been back.

I didn't take as many decent photos as you back in the day, but I'll see what I can dig out to add.

Many thanks!

Thanks also to MickNich as always for his first hand contributions of the "inner workings". And Mark for setting me right to credit Rob for the thread in the first place.. :)

Edited by John B
  • Like 2