Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Possibly, when later fitted with ex Q10 boilers, I would have to check.

Mick,

I've looked at the 12 illustrations in RCTS Part 6C (3 of these with Q10 boilers) and none of the 12 appear to have the "piano front" cover over the top of the frames. There is no mention of any such variation in the text, as far as I can see.

Another great picture - thanks.

Regards,

Roy

Edited by R Marshall
  • Like 1

Boris, many engines got for a sort time the prefix "E" ex LNERly, "M" ex LMSRly, "S" ex Southern Rly and pressumably "W" ex GWRly.

I'm not sure that happened on ex GW locomotives as their numbering system never changed with the formation of British Railways.  I believe they weren't renumbered because of their cast number plates, but they of course had to fit the smokebox number plates.

I really like the thread even though I'm not very familiar with the area. 

Mark.

Q6, 21 June 1931. Dairycoates.

attachicon.gifQ6 2220 Dairycoates 21 June 1931.jpg

This is a really interesting photo. I built a Dave Bradwell kit a number of years ago so the variations in things pop out at me. The interesting things are:

no reinforcing strip to the front foot step

Fog operation gear under the cab. (I think that is what it is)

Not sure if the tender axle box covers are a different colour or it is a photo lighting change

the location of the lubricator high on the splasher

I can't remember if it is a Dia 51 or 51a boiler.

there is the twin whistle on the front of the cab/ top of boiler.

Sandwich bufferbeams (ie steel/ timber/ steel) on the loco

The cut off coal rails. - Not my favorite style as I thought it was a bit too utilitarian.... but I like the full coal rails but the down sweep version is starting to become attractive to me!

thanks for sharing as the photos such as this are invaluable due to the detail that can be gleaned from it !

Edited by DougN

post-24552-0-44376500-1511885013_thumb.jpgDoug,

That's a diagram 50 boiler. Diagram 50A boilers were introduced in 1938 and can be distinguished by the position of the dome - on these boilers it was positioned between the 3rd and 4th boiler bands (counting the smokebox joint as the first).

You can see what I mean on this shot of 63395 (apologies, if I've posted this before!).

Regards,

Roy

• Like 5

Has anyone a picture of the pair of 68's on a Carlisle to Hedon Road working yesterday

Just seen this post so sorry for the late reply.

A long way from East Yorkshire, here they are passing Hexham. Having taken the photo I was caught out by the service being top and tailed so didn't get the number of the rear loco.

post-13274-0-59621600-1511957507.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. Firstly a further thank you to Mick for posting those superb photo's which add so much to this thread. Tonight I have a photo' of the first bridge carrying the Bridlington to Seamer railway over a roadway at the village boundary at Hunmanby. The photo' was taken in the summer of 2009. The bridge has since been renewed by Network Rail with a modern design which is typical for the present day era. The bridge in the photo was steel girders with the rails carried on wood beams.

post-22631-0-50407500-1513547673_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

Has Rob has correctly illustrated there is far more to railways then "Engines". Attached another bridge view, H&BRly Bridge No1 over Hedon Road Hull, c1910.

I like that, lots of period details.  Although I suspect if you put that many adverts on your model bridge abutment there would be cries of heresy!

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, for more excellent photo's. Please keep them coming.

Now it's the season of goodwill to all men, and peace on earth, so here is a Christmas Card which I've made, with some photo shopping help. Beverley Station in the snow from 2010.

post-22631-0-25859600-1514071757_thumb.jpg

I hope you will all have a very merry Christmas.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 6