The ZIMO 'Swiss Mapping' Thread

pauliebanger

ZIMO sound decoders aimed at the H0/00 scale models (and single motor 0 gauge) are equipped with 10 Function Outputs as standard. 

To put that into context, a single ZIMO decoder can, without additional adapter boards, illuminate by individual control, 10 separate lamps or 10 separate pairs of lamps.

So, they can save the need to find money and space for additional decoders which might be needed to boost the abilities of other brands. 

Controlling such a large number of individual features would normally occupy many F keys, which may be needed for other duties. 

To bring some order to this, ZIMO created a function mapping technique which is so powerful and flexible that anyone with a DCC controller and a bit of knowledge can set up without needing to know how the project was originally created or which Function Outputs (FOs) were assigned to what F keys by the author.

ZIMO call this Swiss Mapping since it was originally developed to make it easy to create authentic lighting patterns for Swiss locomotives which can be complex.

Unfortunately, the name and the example used to in the decoder manual illustrate the method serve more to confuse than enlighten.

I have given some of this information in other treads, but it tends to become buried over time. The purpose of this thread, therefore, is to provide a single resource, where explanations of what Swiss Mapping can be used for and how to use it can be gathered.

What Swiss Mapping (SM) cannot do is rewire your loco. To be able to control any individual function in isolation it must be wired to a separate FO.

Provided that the correct wiring has been put in place, SM gives a quick and intuitive way to assign FOs to any F key.

Crucially, this extends to allowing multiple FOs to be assigned to a single F key, or multiple F keys to control a single FO, or a mixture of these, whilst any or all of them may be direction dependant .

SM is, therefore, able to group functions which should act together in a given set of conditions, to the same F key, but it can also use FOs from different groups to create new groups suitable for changed circumstances. 

By the nature of our models, this will be used largely for lighting effects, but there is actually no restriction on what the FO can control, so, for instance it could be used to assign a smoke generator to a favoured F key, or determine which F key controls the roof fan. 

To keep things simple to start with I will avoid illustrations using F key 0 and FOs for forward and rear headlamps. (I will introduce them later, though,as they may still be required). Also for clarity, I will assume SM is the sole method in use (in reality, all types can be used simultaneously if required)

The basic concept is straightforward:

A Swiss Mapping 'Group' consists of 6 consecutive CVs, the first of which is CV430.

Each CV in the group has a specific role which, respectively, remains the same in every group. i.e. the third CV in each group holds the number of the first FO to operate in the forward direction of travel.

A simple example will help comprehension, I think. 

Say you wish to control a smoke generator which is connected to F01 by using F key 21 and you wish it to operate when the model is travelling in either direction.

SM Group 1

CV430 = 21 (the number of the F key which controls this group)
CV431 = 0 (Not required here)
CV432 = 1 (the number of the first FO to operate in the forward direction of travel)
CV433 = 0 (the number of the second FO to operate in the forward direction of travel, if there is a second one required, otherwise enter 0)
CV434 = 1 (the number of the first FO to operate in the rearward direction of travel)
CV435 = 0 (the number of the second FO to operate in the rearward direction of travel, if there is a second one required, otherwise enter 0)

To create such a group, all that is required is that you know the CVs in the group and their purpose, plus which FO is connected to the function you wish to control.

Here's something a little more complex, but very commonly required. Often called 4 function lighting, it allows the tail lamps to be illuminated with the front markers when 'light engine', but to be extinguished when there are other vehicles on the hook. I'll use F key 21 again to operate the lights

In this case, the markers at each end are connected as a pair to a single FO and so are the tail lamps. Assuming No1 end whites use FO1, reds use FO2, No2 end white FO3 and reds FO4.  There are several ways that this can be done. Here's one way.

SM Group 1 (White Marker Lamps)
CV430 = 21
CV431 = 0
CV432 = 1
CV433 = 0
CV434 = 3
CV435 = 0

SM Group 2 (Red Tail Lamps)

CV436 = 22
CV437 = 0
CV438 = 4
CV439 = 0
CV440 = 2
CV441 = 0

If F21 is engaged, white markers at the 'front' will be illuminated, direction dependant.

If F22 is engaged, red tail lamps at the 'rear' will be illuminated, direction dependant.

So,for light engine, engage F21 and F22.

For a loco at the head of train (including coupled light engines), engage F21 only
For a loco at the rear of a train (including coupled light engines), engage F22 only

I'll give other examples, including the use of the second CV in each group, later.

SM was introduced with SW V32.0 with 10 groups available. The number of groups available increased to 13* with SW V34, which also introduced the ability to assign 'Rule 17' speed dependant dimmed/high beam headlights.

You can check your SW version by reading the value in CV7 with the sub-version at CV65.

It remains perfectly feasable to mix SM and normal NMRA mapping or other ZIMO Extended Function Mapping methods.

It is worth noting, however, that from SW V34 many of the ZIMO extended mapping methods have been dropped as being redundant. I believe CV61 = 97 is still operational if required.

Kind regards,

Paul

*from software version V35.27, the number of groups has been further increased to 17 on sound decoders.

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

David,

Funny you should say that, but one of the reasons for posting is the number of enquiries I get about Function Mapping on ZIMO decoders. There are a lot of Function Outputs so this technique is especially useful.

This is so straightforward for me to be able to rattle off the necessary CVs that I can help very quickly.

Of course, your tenner would be very welcome. Lol

Kind regards.

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1

Paul,

A big thanks for taking the time to document how to use this feature.

I have implemented it on one of my sound fitted Farish N gauge class 66,(Zimo MX648) so I can control the white and red lights independently. (as per your explanation)

The alternative as you know was to remap a couple of the sound features to ‘free’ up some of the lower number function buttons, this is a lot easier.

I do have one question, which I am not sure if it’s due to the way I have configured it, or the way Swiss mapping works.

I am using F21 to control the white lights and F22 to control the red lights. If I place the loco on the track and turn the lights on, it functions correctly.

If I now remove the loco, without turning of either F21 or F22 and then replace it, neither sets of lights will come on (both F21 and F22 are still switched on at this stage).

If I then toggle (off / on)  either F21 or F22, then both sets of lights work correctly.

Have I missed a configuration, or is this correct.

Regards,

Gordon D

Paul,

A big thanks for taking the time to document how to use this feature.

I have implemented it on one of my sound fitted Farish N gauge class 66,(Zimo MX648) so I can control the white and red lights independently. (as per your explanation)

The alternative as you know was to remap a couple of the sound features to ‘free’ up some of the lower number function buttons, this is a lot easier.

I do have one question, which I am not sure if it’s due to the way I have configured it, or the way Swiss mapping works.

I am using F21 to control the white lights and F22 to control the red lights. If I place the loco on the track and turn the lights on, it functions correctly.

If I now remove the loco, without turning of either F21 or F22 and then replace it, neither sets of lights will come on (both F21 and F22 are still switched on at this stage).

If I then toggle (off / on)  either F21 or F22, then both sets of lights work correctly.

Have I missed a configuration, or is this correct.

Regards,

Gordon D

Hi Gordon

I have the same issue on a RE Vi Trains 47 fitted with a MX645R.  If you don't switch OFF any lights controlled via Swiss mapping, before removing the loco from the track, when it's put back on the lights don't work even although they are still "switched" ON.  Switching the F keys off and then back on again, the lights then work again as normal.

It may just be a small quirk or compromise in the way "Swiss mapping" works, but I'm sure Paul will have an answer.

Regards

Ken

Hi Gordon

I have the same issue on a RE Vi Trains 47 fitted with a MX645R.  If you don't switch OFF any lights controlled via Swiss mapping, before removing the loco from the track, when it's put back on the lights don't work even although they are still "switched" ON.  Switching the F keys off and then back on again, the lights then work again as normal.

It may just be a small quirk or compromise in the way "Swiss mapping" works, but I'm sure Paul will have an answer.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, it looks like the same issue.

Given that we are both seeing this problem when using Swiss mapping , looks like it must be a ’ feature’, one I can live with given the flexibility it gives you.

Hopefully Paul will be alone soon to confirm if it’s operating correctly or not.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Ken,

Yes, it looks like the same issue.

Given that we are both seeing this problem when using Swiss mapping , looks like it must be a ’ feature’, one I can live with given the flexibility it gives you.

Hopefully Paul will be alone soon to confirm if it’s operating correctly or not.

Regards,

Gordon

I don't think this is a 'Swiss Mapping' issue. I'm not in a position to test this at the moment, but my recollection is that this is the general arrangement with ZIMO decoders, functions and sounds left 'switched on' when powered down are not 'remembered' for when the loco is powered up again.

Never really thought about it as it works the way I would expect it to. Otherwise, if you left a horn sound latched on (but sound has finished playing) when it's powered down, when you power it up again the horn will sound. That's not what you want, surely?

There might be a setting to change this behaviour, but I've never had reason to look for it or ask about it.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

It will be related to the refresh rate of DCC packets, which in turn is down to the command station.

Some types of packet get refreshed regularly (eg. decoder speed).   The low-number functions (Function Group 1, F0-F4 and Function Group 2, F5-F12) are repeated reasonably quickly.  But, the higher functions (F12 to F28) are not repeated. 

Quoting the NMRA DCC standards document, S-9.2.1 on higher group functions, lines 320-344:
" It is recommended, but not required that the status of these functions be saved in decoder storage such as NVRAM. It is not required, and should not be assumed that the state of these functions is constantly refreshed by the command station."

So, a command station not refreshing (repeating) F21 is behaving correctly according to the NMRA DCC documentation.  When the decoder returns to the track it never sees a new "F21 on" instruction until the user has turned off the function on the command station, and then turned it on again.   

-  Nigel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It will be related to the refresh rate of DCC packets, which in turn is down to the command station.

Some types of packet get refreshed regularly (eg. decoder speed).   The low-number functions (Function Group 1, F0-F4 and Function Group 2, F5-F12) are repeated reasonably quickly.  But, the higher functions (F12 to F28) are not repeated. 

Quoting the NMRA DCC standards document, S-9.2.1 on higher group functions, lines 320-344:

" It is recommended, but not required that the status of these functions be saved in decoder storage such as NVRAM. It is not required, and should not be assumed that the state of these functions is constantly refreshed by the command station."

So, a command station not refreshing (repeating) F21 is behaving correctly according to the NMRA DCC documentation.  When the decoder returns to the track it never sees a new "F21 on" instruction until the user has turned off the function on the command station, and then turned it on again.   

-  Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks for your explanation I can now understand why these functions behave the way they do.

No problem, just need to remember to turn off the function and turn it on again, or toggle them when I return to loco to the track.

Thanks,

Gordon

-  Nigel

Hi Nigel

Yep that's the answer. Having re-set the function refresh on my Lenz V3.6 from F0-F12 to F0 to F28  the lights controlled on F21/22/23/24/25 using Swiss Mapping now stay on IF switched on when removing and replacing back on the track.  Probably not a good idea to set the refresh to F0-F28 if a lot of locos are on the track/in use at the same time, or loss of information could become a problem.

But it proves that this is not a Zimo Swiss mapping issue.

HTH

Ken

I think a tenner is a bargain, I was going to pay him twenty just to read it out loud.......s..l..o..w..l..y....... for me!

David,

I hope you're paying attention. You might need to understand this when you get your Ixion Fowler up and running!

Should be OK though, the Fowler does run ..s..l..o..w..l..y...       Lol

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

David,

I hope you're paying attention. You might need to understand this when you get your Ixion Fowler up and running!

Should be OK though, the Fowler does run ..s..l..o..w..l..y...       Lol

Kind regards,

Paul

It'll have to be geared for "snail pace", and please stop teasing me........the Fowler looked marvelous upon arrival.........with the house move it looks like it'll not be running on anything until early next year.......oh the pain  :no2:

:derisive:

It'll have to be geared for "snail pace", and please stop teasing me........the Fowler looked marvelous upon arrival.........with the house move it looks like it'll not be running on anything until early next year.......oh the pain  :no2:

:derisive:

Top speed is limited by the decoder to a scale 12mph. (in top, downhill with a few unbraked wagons and the wind behind it, Lol)

You don't need track. Just power up the stay alive and she'll run on any flat surface for 30-40 seconds. enoughfor a quick 'fix'.

Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I would really appreciate some guidance with a function mapping/sound assignment problem I have.

I have a DigiDrive E Version 2.1 class 40 sound decoder in a Bachmann 10000. I have connected the red tail lights to Function Outputs 2 and 3 with appropriate resistors and using the swiss mapping have them operating directionally. I wish to have them operated by Function Button 4 but there is a sound assigned to this button. While I can move the sound to a different button, try as I may I have been unable to separate the operation of the tail lights from the sound.

Is this not possible or have I missed something as I have tried, as far as I can tell, all the various options set in the manual via cv61 and almost any other combination of mapping I could find. I have tried using the latest download of DecoderPro  and directly from my Digitrax throttle using POM. Fortunately I have always, so far, been able to restore any function which disappeared as a result of my tinkering.

Thank you.

Geoff

I would really appreciate some guidance with a function mapping/sound assignment problem I have.

I have a DigiDrive E Version 2.1 class 40 sound decoder in a Bachmann 10000. I have connected the red tail lights to Function Outputs 2 and 3 with appropriate resistors and using the swiss mapping have them operating directionally. I wish to have them operated by Function Button 4 but there is a sound assigned to this button. While I can move the sound to a different button, try as I may I have been unable to separate the operation of the tail lights from the sound.

Is this not possible or have I missed something as I have tried, as far as I can tell, all the various options set in the manual via cv61 and almost any other combination of mapping I could find. I have tried using the latest download of DecoderPro  and directly from my Digitrax throttle using POM. Fortunately I have always, so far, been able to restore any function which disappeared as a result of my tinkering.

Thank you.

Geoff

Geoff,

Swiss Mapping is for functions not sounds so changing one should not affect the other unless you wish them to.

What method did you use to move the sound from F4, and to where?

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Geoff,

Swiss Mapping is for functions not sounds so changing one should not affect the other unless you wish them to.

What method did you use to move the sound from F4, and to where?

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul, I set up the function outputs 2 and 3 using the Swiss mapping to get the directional operation I wanted on button f4. I used Input Mapping to move some sounds around, namely the station sounds from f15 to f20, the single horn on f3 to f15 and the double horn on f4 to f3 but that took the tail light operation with it.

Geoff

Paul, I set up the function outputs 2 and 3 using the Swiss mapping to get the directional operation I wanted on button f4. I used Input Mapping to move some sounds around, namely the station sounds from f15 to f20, the single horn on f3 to f15 and the double horn on f4 to f3 but that took the tail light operation with it.

Geoff

Geoff,

Input Mapping is one of the ways to move sound and functions simultaneously.

OK. You've done well to get this far so I think it will help if, rather than just giving the CVs to use, a bit of explanation around the various processes will be more helpful in the long run. 

The problem is that ZIMO Input Mapping does not actually remove the sound from, in this case, F4, but rather, instructs the decoder to regard the new F key as if it were the original. In this case F3 operates whatever is asigned to F4 i.e. the sound assigned in the project and the function you have allocated via Swiss Mapping.

Assuming you have tail lights and a horn sound currently operating with F3 and nothing operating with F4.

The most straightforward way from here would be to use Swiss Mapping to put the tail light operation onto an unused F key, say F25. All this will require is to change the value in CV430 (for Swiss Mapping Group 1) from 4 to 25.

This will prevent F3 operating these lights.

You can now use ZIMO Input Mapping to have F25 operated by the F4 key in the same way that you have re-mapped other F keys.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

• RMweb Gold

Geoff,

Input Mapping is one of the ways to move sound and functions simultaneously.

OK. You've done well to get this far so I think it will help if, rather than just giving the CVs to use, a bit of explanation around the various processes will be more helpful in the long run. 

The problem is that ZIMO Input Mapping does not actually remove the sound from, in this case, F4, but rather, instructs the decoder to regard the new F key as if it were the original. In this case F3 operates whatever is asigned to F4 i.e. the sound assigned in the project and the function you have allocated via Swiss Mapping.

Assuming you have tail lights and a horn sound currently operating with F3 and nothing operating with F4.

The most straightforward way from here would be to use Swiss Mapping to put the tail light operation onto an unused F key, say F25. All this will require is to change the value in CV430 (for Swiss Mapping Group 1) fom 4 to 25.

This will prevent F3 operating these lights.

You can now use ZIMO Input Mapping to have F25 operated by the F4 key in the same way that you have re-mapped other F keys.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you Paul, I understand that. I will give it a go and report back.

Regards

Geoff

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Paul, I understand that. I will give it a go and report back.

Regards

Geoff

Thank you Paul, that worked a treat, all is working as I intended. Can I ask a further question please? Can I use the Input Mapping to move functions such as Mode Switch, Coast and Engine Mode?

Regards

Geoff

Thank you Paul, that worked a treat, all is working as I intended. Can I ask a further question please? Can I use the Input Mapping to move functions such as Mode Switch, Coast and Engine Mode?

Regards

Geoff

Geoff,

Yes, anything assigned to or operated by an F key can be changed to be operated by a different F key by using Input Mapping. This is a non-destructive method; the underlying sound project is not changed in any way, only the F keys used to operate the selected items.Reversal is simple.

Swiss Mapping and ZIMO Input Mapping are powerful tools which end users can employ to customise ZIMO sound projects to match their own requirements.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Geoff,

Yes, anything assigned to or operated by an F key can be changed to be operated by a different F key by using Input Mapping. This is a non-destructive method; the underlying sound project is not changed in any way, only the F keys used to operate the selected items.Reversal is simple.

Swiss Mapping and ZIMO Input Mapping are powerful tools which end users can employ to customise ZIMO sound projects to match their own requirements.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you Paul. Your explanation of how the two mappings work is much clearer than the manual. I really appreciate the time you have given to this issue for me.

Regards

Geoff