Playing with Hornby Dublo 3 rail again

Jenny Emily

Why i never seem to get time to run trains!.I bought this lot of Trix & Dublo Electric signals plus a large bank of Trix switches for £15 from you know where.The Trix semaphore signals are the lit spectacle models from the 1960s normally lit by a 14v LES bulb in the base & transmit the light through a perspex rod in the post,very effective with the room lights off.The lampholders are missing but that`s no problem,i replace the lamps with 12v LEDsThe dublo signals all work & have been refurbished with a coat of paint on the posts & base & operating wire replaced.

post-4249-0-06192800-1538327961_thumb.jpg

post-4249-0-88619200-1538328005_thumb.jpg

Ray.

• Like 3

The Dublo signals were the best in my view and with a lick of paint do come up very nicely.

I would have liked to use them on my TT layout but a little too large although I may look at replacing the arms with smaller ones to see how they look.  It is a pity Dublo did not do other variations but they can be modified slightly. 

I also prefer the Dublo switches (Trix come a close second) and managed to get 16 isolating ones cheap for my TT layout.

Garry

post-22530-0-67753400-1538329138.jpg

post-22530-0-50203500-1538329376_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Why i never seem to get time to run trains!.I bought this lot of Trix & Dublo Electric signals plus a large bank of Trix switches for £15 from you know where.

That's a really good score Ray. I've paid close to that for a single, boxed, example!  Like Garry, I think that the Dublo signals were the best of the proprietary brands and, as I may have said in Post 682, they are well worth refurbishing. I've had trouble resisting putting a bid on them when they've come up on the local internet auction site, and I've then had to pony up for D1 switches to go with them.

Another brand of signals which may have just outclassed the Dublo ones were the SME signals of the 50s and 60s. But they were a little more expensive, perhaps with more hand-finishing, and seemed to be aimed at the "scale" rather than the "toy" market.  There is a brief discussion on them (with a contribution from yours truly) on this thread elsewhere in the Collectable/Vintage corner of this Forum.  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116828-scale-model-signal-4mm-by-sme-co-ltd-sussex/

• Like 1

Wow.  Looking at the photos I had a flashback to 60 years ago when I would read those boys' adventure books about the discovery of Captain Kidd's buried treasure.  Apparently it wasn't hidden in a chest on an island in the Caribbean, but in Rowville Victoria. I wonder what the "back story" is to this collection. (The 4kg postage cost may be a challenge for the out-of-State buyers.)

Mike

• Like 1

Sometimes,Ebay does me proud,after getting my Hattons EMU repaired by Scalespeed( i can reccomend his service),i was looking for a driving trailer for it,i had a dark green version using my own overlays & what should pop up was this for £19.99,very useful.I had a correrct colour cab end so i just swapped the bodies over.

post-4249-0-76475900-1538521346_thumb.jpg

Ray.

• Like 1

Well,trains are beginning to run at last,still a bit of track fettling to do,one or two rail joints need attention.The 8F is a loco that was bought for me in 1958 when new,a bit stiff at first as it hadn`t been run in about 30 years.a good oiling & away she went,the 8f,48073 which supposed to be in this vid.blew the armature last night,one on order now,some Ringfields seem to be prone to this.The other train is my Wrenn Royal Scot converted to 3 rail & has a train of Trix Mk1 refinshed coaches.

Ray.

• Like 4

Well,trains are beginning to run at last,still a bit of track fettling to do,one or two rail joints need attention.The 8F is a loco that was bought for me in 1958 when new,a bit stiff at first as it hadn`t been run in about 30 years.a good oiling & away she went,the 8f,48073 which supposed to be in this vid.blew the armature last night,one on order now,some Ringfields seem to be prone to this.The other train is my Wrenn Royal Scot converted to 3 rail & has a train of Trix Mk1 refinshed coaches.

Ray.

Nicely done Ray.

I have to say no matter how good the Trix coaches are (you have done a lovely job on them) I don't like them with being low, even in a rake of all the same.  That is my own personal choice though not a criticism.

The Scot runs well as it should.

I was never keen on the Ringfields and they are usually the Dublo motors that give problems, the vertical and 1/2" were perfect. 

Are the signals against the wall ready for an extension through it? :-)

Garry

• Like 1

I think that may be pushing my luck a bit too far!.She puts up with large trains in the garage,in a display case in the lounge & one of the bedrooms but at least she knows wher to find me LOL

Ray.

You mentioning the signals,i wanted a motor for one of the job lot that i bought.This turned up on Ebay,dunno what they`d done to the signal arm but since i only wanted the motor,it didn`t matter.As you can see it comes with two switches so for £15,it didn`t seem too bad a deal.

Ray.

post-4249-0-27663000-1538664546_thumb.jpg

That green push button switch for the TPO is one I'm looking for. Not that I need it (any switch will do for a TPO), but just to fill a hole in the collection....

The 8/9d price on the box explains why Dublo electric signals are not very common!

• Like 1

Finished the REP, can’t share the video on here unfortunately but all working!

Thanks to Garry for the advice re the Bo-Bo running gear, I also need to give a shout out to Andrew Lance of the HRCA for allowing me to tweak his SR EMU cab file and undercarriage designs to create the 3D prints required to complete this.

post-3444-0-62650900-1539369271_thumb.jpegpost-3444-0-42350000-1539369292_thumb.jpegpost-3444-0-07592200-1539369306_thumb.jpegpost-3444-0-28006200-1539369337_thumb.jpeg

Andy

post-3444-0-99663400-1539369413_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well here`s the Hornby model of Sir William A Stanier FRS.It`s a beautiful model.I don`t know if it will go round Dublo 15" curves,i havn`t tried it yet.I don`t know at the moment whether it will be 3 railed but i`ve come to the conclusion that these models are not around for long so you have to buy them while they are available.In front of it is the ongoing conversion of a city to this loco,cabside sheets modified.Next job is to strip the paint & make new firebox extensions to fit under the running plate,at least i`ve got a model to copy now.

Ray.

20190331_233554.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Since the new look,this Forum has now become moribound,however,the latest conversion of a Dublo city loco to an Ivatt Duchess,i know i`ve forgotten to fit the reversing gear reach rod but this can sitll be made & fitted.I`ve got a Comet models tender body kit to make for the correct riveted version.

Ray.

20190513_150629.jpg

• Like 2

Loco conversion finished except for the reverser reach rod which i forgot & can still be made & fitted & a Comet models correct style tender being built.

Ray.

20190516_173749.jpg

20190516_174324.jpg

Edited by sagaguy
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ray

Looking at you Sir William Stanier FRS has got me thinking of doing such a conversion myself, although the last thing I need at the moment is yet another Duchess..  Can I ask you where you got the casting for the trailing truck?

Jim

The trailing truck Delta side frames came from Comet models LS65 kit attached to a modified Dublo duchess trailing truck with rapid araldite as were the live & exhaust injectors & tender body kit which was almost a perfect fit on a dublo tender chassis.

Ray.

• Thanks 1

Well, I might have to find some other way of doing the conversion.  The only supplier I can find for Comet Models kits is Wizard Models Ltd (Peter's Spares do have some Comet Models items, but not this one).  I was going to order one from Wizard Models Ltd but, when I got to the checkout page, they wanted £21.00 for postage.  Another firm crossed off the list of people I want to deal with......

Hmm,that does seem rather a lot for a small package,air mail perhaps?.Is it because it`s white metal,some countries still think it contains lead which may lead to problems in the post.A email to Wizard models might be an idea.

Best of luck,Ray.