NEW DCC sound COMING SOON!

gooderz

Ivatt 2MT just what I have been waiting for !

As soon as i have got the rest of my recordings, i'll crack on with it!

I first listened to some video of real locos then switched to your 9F DCC sound, and I think it sounds pretty damn good (as does your Black Five). That whistle would make this decoder alright for the Bachmann Stanier 2-6-0, as it sounds about right going off the video I took of  the preserved 5MT 2-6-0 on the North Wales coast while the Black Five sound with hooter would suit the few Stanier 2-6-0's that got this in place of a whistle. 

Thanks for the kind words Larry. They sound much better going round a layout, the deep exhaust really comes out when you're a good couple of feet away. I may add the stanier mogul to my list next year.

• RMweb Gold

As soon as i have got the rest of my recordings, i'll crack on with it!

Thanks for the kind words Larry. They sound much better going round a layout, the deep exhaust really comes out when you're a good couple of feet away. I may add the stanier mogul to my list next year.

I might be wrong but I think Coachman is suggesting the possibility of offering the Black Five exhaust combined with the 9F whistle to give a generic Mogul project. I know I have a SWD Ivatt 2MT that allows either a Stanier or BR whistle by changing a CV (so both whistles available on the same project) - I don't know if that is something that is a) easy to do and b) something that you would consider? There should be a good market for a Stanier Mogul project out there are at the moment.......

I might be wrong but I think Coachman is suggesting the possibility of offering the Black Five exhaust combined with the 9F whistle to give a generic Mogul project. I know I have a SWD Ivatt 2MT that allows either a Stanier or BR whistle by changing a CV (so both whistles available on the same project) - I don't know if that is something that is a) easy to do and b) something that you would consider? There should be a good market for a Stanier Mogul project out there are at the moment.......

The Stanier 8F and Black Five sound pretty much the same. From what I have heard on recordings, the Stanier 2-6-0 sounds the same, so I thought it not unreasonable to ask for an optional whistle on one of the sound files. When I put the suggestion to an outfit producing sound decoders, it was made clear to me they would not have their principles compromised. DCC steam sound is compromised already in small scale locomotives especially with the bloody sound of shovelling coal!  Few exhausts match the 'base' tone of the real thing so, but I accept this and listen for a good exhaust and then reach for a whistle. But I realise now I am pissing in the wind.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Well, If i was asked, i'd have no issues putting a 9F whistle on the black 5 project so you could have either the 9F whistle or Stanier hooter with the alteration of a CV number

Excellent - I think we have spoken via Facebook recently too - I will definitely be putting an order your way in the very near future! Thinking about it, the Black 5 exhaust with a choice of the 9F whistle or the Britannia chime would also cover both variations of the BR Standard 5 as well.

I agree that the videos I've seen of the mogul make it sound very similar to the 8Fs and Black 5s.

I believe the main factors in a locomotive's sound (chuff) are the boiler pressure, super heating and cylinder number and size (all 3 are super heated and have a boiler pressure of 225lb, the 8F and Black 5s have 2 cylinders 18.5" x 28" and the mogul 2x 18" x 28").. When you think that in 00 the models are 76 x smaller than the real thing, it ought really to be close enough, especially if the project can be 'built' with the correct whistle. 

I'm currently using a BR std 4 sound for my mogul, its not perfect but will do for the moment...

The one I'm struggling to find a sound for is the Horwich Crab... 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sounds great Jamie !

Did I read somewhere that you also planned a class 121/122 bubble car sound project ?

Alberto

I have got a 121/heritage DMU planned, every-time i have planned to take 55023 out, theres always been something stopping from recording it

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the 20 is as good as there and have released a video. The turbo whistling has been liked by my phone too much thus has amplified the whistling abit.

Its a unique 20 project as the engine hunts, a lot, due to it having governor issues. wouldn't want a 20 to sound like everyone elses now would I!

I've also finally got round to releasing a video of my slightly worn black 5.

Key features of this one is a leaking cylinder gland, a cylinder cock that will randomly jam open when you use it and its abit more sluggish to drive!

Currently working on the Class 50 and will then start the Ivatt 2mt.

Hope you enjoy the clips

Edited by gooderz
  • Like 3

Although the Stanier 2-6-4T is painful to watch, your sounds are really coming along. There is a lot more base on the exhaust these days, which is good news when it is impossible to fit large speakers in tank locos.

thanks Larry, I assume its painful because the loco is lurching side to side on the rollers?

I used a rather large sugar cube speaker (30x19) in the smoke with a good enclosure which make a huge difference tot he depth of the exhaust

Great news about the Class 50 as there's not a really great one available elsewhere to date.

Please post a video as soon as available, thanks! 

Heres a WIP video of the cold start, shutdown and warm start.

Cold start is virtually there, shutdown and warm start require work. i think another 2 weeks and it'll be completed all being well.

Heres a WIP video of the cold start, shutdown and warm start.

Cold start is virtually there, shutdown and warm start require work. i think another 2 weeks and it'll be completed all being well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrW7moiyQ8U

That sounds brilliant. Really looking forward to the new release.

Would it be possible to have separate single high and low playable horn tones on separate keys please? Cheeky request, I know but I reckon single are better. Anyone else agree with that?

Edited by cravensdmufan

That sounds brilliant. Really looking forward to the new release.

Would it be possible to have separate single high and low playable horn tones on separate keys please? Cheeky request, I know but I reckon single are better. Anyone else agree with that?

Seperate high and low already done :)

There'll be short high, short low, high tone that will play as long as you hold the button in and likewise with the low tone. Theres also a two tone. All in all, 5 horn buttons.

• Like 1

Seperate high and low already done :)

There'll be short high, short low, high tone that will play as long as you hold the button in and likewise with the low tone. Theres also a two tone. All in all, 5 horn buttons.

That's fantastic!  Thanks for posting update.

I can't wait for this - Class 50's were my favourite locos when I worked for WR at Paddington back in the 1980's.

Well, the 20 is as good as there and have released a video. The turbo whistling has been liked by my phone too much thus has amplified the whistling abit.

Its a unique 20 project as the engine hunts, a lot, due to it having governor issues. wouldn't want a 20 to sound like everyone elses now would I!

I've also finally got round to releasing a video of my slightly worn black 5.

Key features of this one is a leaking cylinder gland, a cylinder cock that will randomly jam open when you use it and its abit more sluggish to drive!

Currently working on the Class 50 and will then start the Ivatt 2mt.

Hope you enjoy the clips

Very impressed with the '20'

And no fewer than 6 throttle positions if I'm not mistaken ?