Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

After a lot of searching, I am coming to the conclusion that these images are from Weymouth.

The shed environs found on a Google search look very similar to those in the first photo.

Looking at your second shot of 73088 I'd agree - Weymouth, and having been there recently (ish!) behind D1015 on a tour I'm even more inclined to think so.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone provide information on this location and working, please?

It is not the best of exposures, and would appear to be close to a power station judging by the number of pylons; and I wondered if it was somewhere in Nottinghamshire, but the class 40 on a coal train tends to add confusion to that scenario. 

post-4474-0-81558300-1508414967_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It is not the best of exposures, and would appear to be close to a power station judging by the number of pylons; and I wondered if it was somewhere in Nottinghamshire, but the class 40 on a coal train tends to add confusion to that scenario. 

It is taken at Stenson Junction, looking south west. It is between Derby and Burton on Trent.

The sidings on the left served Willington Power station.

David

Edited by DaveF

Thanks very much David; although now I feel somewhat foolish because I have asked the question of this location earlier on this thread (although my excuse is - that was in the 1990s and the track had been rationalised even more than seen here). 

I really must try and get my brain into gear. 

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifScan-171019-0005.jpg

Looks like the return empties of a Toton -Three Spires Jct coal working. Saw these regularly at Leicester in the early 80s with Class 40 on the front, although not sure why it would be at Stenson Jct.

Edited by brushman47544

Looks like the return empties of a Toton -Three Spires Jct coal working. Saw these regularly at Leicester in the early 80s with Class 40 on the front, although not sure why it would be at Stenson Jct.

There was also a flow of coal to Garston from Toton during this period that passed through Stenson. Usually in the hands of a Class 58 whenever I saw it though.

Thanks for that suggestion.

You might be right Brian, but I couldn't find the church with a spire (which appears in the background) on the map of that area.

St Andrew's Church? I found this view on Google Earth :- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2742991,-1.3730905,3a,60y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srIIN0EbOTfy264yLcROS6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Genius!  Thanks very much. 

And if you go down the hill on Google Maps and turn left into Cavendish Place, the view from the bridge is closer than the photo, but very similar. Not only that but the large building on the extreme right of the photo, above the trees, turns out to be Barrow Hill Methodist church which is just over the bridge in Cavendish Place.

Edited by jonny777

I am stumped with this view. 

I have no idea even for the region of his location. The curves look a little like minimum radius so I hope they are well secured to the baseboard. 

post-4474-0-70110000-1508605193_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have no problem with the location of this photo; it was taken from a train passing Laira. 

I wondered if anyone could identify the Hymek? There are marks where the numbers have been removed, but I can't make out any of them clearly enough to be sure. 

I think DEG is written on the cab left hand side, and so I have guessed at D7018 for the time being, but any conformation or correction would be appreciated.

post-4474-0-91831700-1508838276_thumb.jpg 

Edited to add that I thought the Western was D1013 because on another view it looked to have red nameplates, but on closer inspection after an emergency visit to Specsavers I now realise those red patches were rust marks where the nameplates had been removed. 

A stab at identifying the Western would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Premium

I have no problem with the location of this photo; it was taken from a train passing Laira. 

I wondered if anyone could identify the Hymek? There are marks where the numbers have been removed, but I can't make out any of them clearly enough to be sure. 

I think DEG is written on the cab left hand side, and so I have guessed at D7018 for the time being, but any conformation or correction would be appreciated.

attachicon.gifd7018 d1013 laira 1979.jpg

Edited to add that I thought the Western was D1013 because on another view it looked to have red nameplates, but on closer inspection after an emergency visit to Specsavers I now realise those red patches were rust marks where the nameplates had been removed. 

A stab at identifying the Western would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

According to 1979 ABC, 7017 was preserved by the DEG at the WSR, while 7018 was by the DEG at Didcot, the other being 7029 at Swindon.

As for the Western, they are listed as 1010 at Merehead, 1013 at SVR, 1023 at NRM, 1041 destined for Didcot, 1048 at NYMR and 1062 at SVR.

Don't know if that helps at all....

Dave

Thanks Dave, but my initial guess at the year has proved to be wildly inaccurate; and I now believe that photo to be taken in 1975. 

I believe D7029 was stored adjacent the GWML at Reading in the mid 70s, and I have a feeling D7017 was at Old Oak Common for a while after being taken out of BR service. 

So, unless the DEG had options on other members of the class, this really only leaves D7018. Mind you, why it was at Laira is something of a mystery.