45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

I do think that the Hattons guestimate has done more harm than good in general (and possibly for their sales). Psychologically people started to get £100 in their minds and now feel put out.

Had there been TBA and then had the new price announced, the shock might not have been so high. Potentially Bachmann should have offered a guide price for the crane when first announced - if it gets to the stage of announcement, commercial viability would have been established by Bachmann, and that would include some estimate (+/- X%) of the final price. After all if it was not designed to a price point, why did they not go all the way and fit motors and DCC control?

I'm not normally one of the RMwebbers who complain about prices, and I was seriously thinking until a few moments ago about buying the Gorton/Newton Heath/Bluebell one when it came out. But not at £250, no chance.

Same, I've spend a lot of time defending prices, especially on Hornby's Facebook page, recently I saw someone complaining about having to pay £29 for a carriage... Ha.

But yeah, £245 in this instance is uncomfortably high.

• Like 2

I do think that the Hattons guestimate has done more harm than good in general (and possibly for their sales). Psychologically people started to get £100 in their minds and now feel put out.

Had there been TBA and then had the new price announced, the shock might not have been so high. Potentially Bachmann should have offered a guide price for the crane when first announced - if it gets to the stage of announcement, commercial viability would have been established by Bachmann, and that would include some estimate (+/- X%) of the final price. After all if it was not designed to a price point, why did they not go all the way and fit motors and DCC control?

Agree with hattons estimated pricing. Its the same sutuation with the Atlantic, estimated at 90 or so and now its £100 more.

I feel if they had dcc'd the crane, it would put everyone who doesnt have dcc plus it would likely be double the price. I certainly wouldn't want to buy a dcc system specially yo run the crane

• RMweb Gold

It's only going to get more expensive next year. So if you want it buy it if it dosent sell well it likely to be a one of production. As for the price well £250 is a lot no getting round that. However the days for most people, buying every thing they like is pretty much gone. It's more about budgeting for the year. If you can justify £250 on a locomotive you can justify it for a crane. as it's only a hobby.

I believe it's a excellent price considering the amount of detail it looks to have an all those working gears. I'm certainly not cancelling my GWR version an can't wait for it to arrive. Never thought we would get such a superb model of a crane like these rtr

Kind regards Neil

• RMweb Premium

Assuming neither the Oxford round-boilered N7 or the Dapol Class 21 arrive before 2019, there's not a single new loco coming this year that I want.  Which of course makes the crane much more affordable. 

It's only going to get more expensive next year. So if you want it buy it if it dosent sell well it likely to be a one of production. As for the price well £250 is a lot no getting round that. However the days for most people, buying every thing they like is pretty much gone. It's more about budgeting for the year. If you can justify £250 on a locomotive you can justify it for a crane. as it's only a hobby.

The problem is that for the budget savvy modeler, you can easily buy 2-3 finely detailed engines for that price if you look hard enough.  Obviously its dependent on the type of engine, but you can very much buy a Q1 (110.00) S15 (69.99) and Drummond 700 (69.99) for the same price.  This is just for perspective. 

The problem is that for the budget savvy modeler, you can easily buy 2-3 finely detailed engines for that price if you look hard enough.  Obviously its dependent on the type of engine, but you can very much buy a Q1 (110.00) S15 (69.99) and Drummond 700 (69.99) for the same price.  This is just for perspective. 

Try rerailing a large passenger loco and tender with "2-3 finely detailed engines" and a few plastic (underscale) sleepers !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

Try rerailing a large passenger loco and tender with "2-3 finely detailed engines" and a few plastic (underscale) sleepers !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Try rerailing a large passenger loco with one 45t capacity crane and you'll be in trouble...

Two cranes (£500!) needed...

• RMweb Gold

'course, if you already have a Q1, three S15s and two 700s...............

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Always good to see that photo, or the others taken on the same occasion.

Interesting to consider that the two cranes (GWR No 1, left and GWR No 2, right) were both 36-tonners yet TGB weighed anything from 92 to 108 tons dry depending on which sources you believe. This means that both cranes are not only lifting more than their rated load, but more than their statutory proof load.

• Like 2

Wow... that scene will set you back 640 pounds to recreate.  500 for the two cranes and then about 140 for the Star Class.  That is a star class, correct?

You could sell the tender on Ebay !!!

Brit15

• Like 1

The jibs are near vertical, which probably allowed more over their usual load limit. ('SWL' in modern terms, iirc). It is possible the GWR were 'showing off' a bit in that pic.

And no, it's not a Star. It's The Great Bear (like wot it says on the pic).

Churchward would probably have sold it to you for about £140.

According to Peter Tatlow when No 2 was ordered the cranes was specified as at 36 tons SWL, but capable to lift 40 tons.

I think John Brownlie in his book referred to cranes being tested to 25% beyond there SWL.

Gordon A

For cranes under 40 tons, proof load is working load plus 25%, i.e., 45 tons for GWR Nos 1, 2 & 3.

That scene cannot be recreated in 4mm, since currently no-one makes a 36-ton R&R GWR crane of either Stothert & Pitt (No 1) or Ransomes & Rapier (No 2) design. It cannot be recreated in 12" either since the only thing in the photo still in existence is No 2 crane (on the right) and there's still a little bit of work needed before it is restored. All the rest including the buildings have gone.

The GWR liked to take photos of new locos being lifted like that, there's a very similar and well known photo of Nos 2 and 3 lifting 4088 Dartmouth Castle in the same location at Swindon in July 1925 which can be seen at www.bdca.org.uk

Both cranes in the photo are working at minimum radius which is the only radius at which the max load of 36 tons can properly be lifted. They are working "propped and clipped" and both have their kentledges fitted, again this is the only condition in which the max load can be lifted. The very sharp eyed will notice that No 2 has all eight propping girders deployed (rather than the more usual four), a GWR eccentricity that no other railway insisted on.

• Like 1

Yep. I take “only” in front of a price as a warning. “Designer” in front of a description has the same effect as does “soon” in place of a time estimate.

you think thats a crazy price £3.25 for a one inch bit of track, or am i missing something here http://www.gaugemaster.com/_upload/imgs/lrg/34713/MN02235.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Oh totally true and I can't disagree but what looks more interesting 3 more loco's in a stud of locos on shed or a crane in a siding or better in a trian with support stock. However I do have a stud of 60+ steam loco's + 10 diesel's so maybe I'm a little fortunate. And not seeing it fare.