45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't really know where to post this, but I thought that the sort of people interested in the 45-tonner would possibly be interested in their smaller (and odder) relatives.  This is volume 3 of the series ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Cranes-rail-mounted-Britain-Breakdown/dp/0860936848/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1522689609&sr=1-20

Railway Cranes Volume 3: 3: Hand, steam and diesel rail-mounted cranes of Britain (Railway Breakdown Cranes)  Hand, steam and diesel rail-mounted travelling cranes of Britain   Hardcover  – 30 Sep 2018
by Peter Tatlow (Author)
  • Hardcover: 256 pages
  • Publisher: OPC Railprint (30 Sept. 2018)
  • ISBN-10: 0860936848
  • ISBN-13: 978-0860936848
  • Like 2

I didn't really know where to post this, but I thought that the sort of people interested in the 45-tonner would possibly be interested in their smaller (and odder) relatives.  This is volume 3 of the series ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Cranes-rail-mounted-Britain-Breakdown/dp/0860936848/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1522689609&sr=1-20

Railway Cranes Volume 3: 3: Hand, steam and diesel rail-mounted cranes of Britain (Railway Breakdown Cranes)  Hand, steam and diesel rail-mounted travelling cranes of Britain   Hardcover  – 30 Sep 2018
by Peter Tatlow (Author)
  • Hardcover: 256 pages
  • Publisher: OPC Railprint (30 Sept. 2018)
  • ISBN-10: 0860936848
  • ISBN-13: 978-0860936848

I take it that this title is yet to be published?

Having bought the first two volumes, I will be in the market for the third, but I've seen no notice of its publication.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...

Two prototypes of the Crane were on display over the weekend at the Bristol Model Railway Exhibition. 

The amount of detail Bachmann have gone into is just outstanding! 

Here's a quick video of the Bachmann Stand, featuring some close-ups of the Cranes.

Hope it's of interest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKM-LBeloeU

post-20663-0-70292100-1526019442_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 2

As noted, the publishing date, ACCORDING TO AMAZON, is 30th September 2018.  However, publishing dates do tend to slip backwards nowadays.

Volu

I take it that this title is yet to be published?

Having bought the first two volumes, I will be in the market for the third, but I've seen no notice of its publication.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John

Volume 3 will be launch at Scaleforum on 22/23 September 2018.  The author (my father) will be in attendance over the weekend.

Mark

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I know very little about these cranes, so my question is... 

Were any of these cranes ever painted in BR yellow livery? 

And if so when would they have operated as such? 

And lastly, are there any photographs around?  I can find photos in BR red livery but seemingly nothing beyond this era... although this photo suggests that there must have been yelow examples at some point...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/67438684@N07/6800598547/in/album-72157629127106743/

thanks

Al

Edited by YesTor

I know very little about these cranes, so my question is... 

Were any of these cranes ever painted in BR yellow livery? 

And if so when would they have operated as such? 

And lastly, are there any photographs around?  I can find photos in BR red livery but seemingly nothing beyond this era...

thanks

Al

As far as I can recall none of these made it into Yellow, by that time I think only diesel cranes were in service (though I expect to be proved wrong)

As far as I can recall none of these made it into Yellow, by that time I think only diesel cranes were in service (though I expect to be proved wrong)

That was my suspicion too, although I'm sure I read somewhere that some cranes were converted from steam to diesel, although again not sure that it applies to the Ransomes crane?  Speaking to the guy on the Bachmann stand at DEMU and he did mention the possibility of a yellow liveried version in the future which only fuelled my curiosity that maybe some did make it into yellow...

And looking again at this photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/67438684@N07/6800598547/in/album-72157629127106743/ and this would suggest that this particular crane has received a donor part from a yellow liveried sister...

Edited by YesTor

...this would suggest that this particular crane has received a donor part from a yellow liveried sister...

or that the 'hazardous' swinging boiler end was painted yellow at some point rather than painting the whole crane!

Re. the above:-

1) None of the the R&R 45-ton cranes that operated on the UK main lines was ever converted from steam to diesel operation. All remained steam powered to the end of their days, or if preserved are still steam powered today.

2) Only one was ever painted in yellow livery, the former GWR No 19 crane, which as ADRR 95213 was painted yellow whilst allocated to Plymouth (Laira) circa 1984, and a very few photos exist showing it carrying this rather unflattering livery. It carried the yellow livery into preservation in 1987 at which time it was repainted black. 

If anyone has, or knows of, good photos showing '213 in its yellow livery I would be extremely grateful to hear of them.

ADRR 95215 (the crane in the linked photo above in 'hybrid' livery) was in that state when withdrawn from Newton Heath and sold to the Bluebell Railway in 1981. The paintwork on the cab does suggest that there was probably an intent to repaint the crane into yellow livery immediately prior to the decision to withdraw. It is not known, however, when the cab was repainted in that way. The crane never carried full yellow livery, and the incongruous parts were definitely not 'donated' from another crane.

(Edited for spelling - oops!)

Edited by craneman
  • Like 1

That was my suspicion too, although I'm sure I read somewhere that some cranes were converted from steam to diesel, although again not sure that it applies to the Ransomes crane? Speaking to the guy on the Bachmann stand at DEMU and he did mention the possibility of a yellow liveried version in the future which only fuelled my curiosity that maybe some did make it into yellow...

And looking again at this photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/67438684@N07/6800598547/in/album-72157629127106743/ and this would suggest that this particular crane has received a donor part from a yellow liveried sister...

None of the 45t ARP cranes were full yellow in BR service, I seem to remember reading the one linked in your post was a preservation paint job. Also none of the ARPs were converted to diesel IIRC, but I'll double check Tatlow's guide next time I have access to it.

Longmoor Military Railway lined Blue however, that is fair game...

Oops, posts crossed. Take cranemans answer over mine.

The crane looks impressive in the video- very compicated and detailed. It is so detailed that anyone worried about the high price will probably find  a few second hand ones that have fallen to bits to buy a bit more cheaply!

Dave

• 1 month later...

post-34881-0-02762800-1534426960_thumb.jpg

Re. the above:-

1) None of the the R&R 45-ton cranes that operated on the UK main lines was ever converted from steam to diesel operation. All remained steam powered to the end of their days, or if preserved are still steam powered today.

2) Only one was ever painted in yellow livery, the former GWR No 19 crane, which as ADRR 95213 was painted yellow whilst allocated to Plymouth (Laira) circa 1984, and a very few photos exist showing it carrying this rather unflattering livery. It carried the yellow livery into preservation in 1987 at which time it was repainted black. 

If anyone has, or knows of, good photos showing '213 in its yellow livery I would be extremely grateful to hear of them.

ADRR 95215 (the crane in the linked photo above in 'hybrid' livery) was in that state when withdrawn from Newton Heath and sold to the Bluebell Railway in 1981. The paintwork on the cab does suggest that there was probably an intent to repaint the crane into yellow livery immediately prior to the decision to withdraw. It is not known, however, when the cab was repainted in that way. The crane never carried full yellow livery, and the incongruous parts were definitely not 'donated' from another crane.

(Edited for spelling - oops!)

Hi craneman, reading your request for a good photo of '213, I have found this one, not so good, taken at Laira 07-09-1985. post-34881-0-02762800-1534426960_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Unfortunately the two flickr photos are not 95213, they're the Cowans Sheldon crane ADRC 95221 which replaced it c.1987 when the Ransomes & Rapier was sold into preservation.

ADRC 95221 was a 45-tonner built as an oil fired steam crane for the WD but demobbed into BR service. It had been converted from steam to diesel-hydraulic operation prior to going to Laira. In fact the reason for the disposal of '213 and its replacement with '221 was to avoid the need for a diesel depot to continue to support steam machinery.

Edited by craneman

Unfortunately the two flickr photos are not 95213, they're the Cowans Sheldon crane ADRC 95221 which replaced it c.1987 when the Ransomes & Rapier was sold into preservation.

ADRC 95221 was a 45-tonner built as an oil fired steam crane for the WD but demobbed into BR service. It had been converted from steam to diesel-hydraulic operation prior to going to Laira. In fact the reason for the disposal of '213 and its replacement with '221 was to avoid the need for a diesel depot to continue to support steam machinery.

Thanks for the reply and explanation. Which is this one?

https://flic.kr/p/Dkdx4w

That one is ADRR 95213, the Ransomes 45-tonner whilst sporting the rather ghastly yellow livery. It is one of only three photos I know of showing it in that livery (it was only two photos until Brentor95 kindly posted the photo above in this thread).

• 2 weeks later...

Although not strictly about breakdown cranes (because it deals with permanent way cranes), those with an interest in cranes will wish to know of the next of my father's books which will be launched at Scaleforum in September this year.

post-7769-0-86941000-1535754653_thumb.jpg

Or it can be bought through the usual sellers and the publisher Crecy.

• Like 6