Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

(Probably nothing

I'd like to start with that because let's face it, it probably is. A little while ago I would have dismissed this straight away but after the sentinels we'll see.

I've just watched Hornby said latest Facebook video on the LSWR 48 coaches. They look great however in the background is an 0-4-0 saddle tank in what appears to the white test plastic or possibly the 3D printer preproduction style. It isn't a production L&Y tank as that is far too old to have a model of this type and there is no motor in the cab. It's also definitely not the railroad caley tank. Personally I think it has a somewhat Peckett look to it but that's a personal opinion.

As I said, it's probably nothing but I thought I'd share it. I have a screen shot too but as its of a Hornby video I don't know if I'd be allowed to post it so I won't for now, if the mods say it's ok I will.

I hope this is interesting and I apologise if it's common knowledge/complete rubbish/speculation)

Edit:

Now the announcement has been made I can confirm this is a W4 Peckett 0-4-0ST announced by Hornby.

Edited by WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

It's also not been unknown for Hornby to drop hints on releases in the background of videos. The main focus in this video were for a start and there's an "engine shed" blog tomorrow

If you remember the last Engine Shed, they did mention a 'small' announcement!

• RMweb Gold

Oh no, Naughty Hornby does it again, trying to steal the attention from the release of DJM's first release in the shops any moment now, or was it the rumour of Bachmanns range of broad gauge stock that my plumber's, friend's dead aunt communicated via her spanish medium, can't quite remmember the source. But it just goes to show the lengths the big H will go to, to crush the opposition.

Edited by Vistiaen

Sadly for me, looking over that it really does look a lot like a Peckett 1687/W6.
msg-14921-0-87453100-1443718536.png 

Compare this to the plan:
http://www.martynbane.co.uk/peckett/drawings/1687-w6.html

The pros for it being a W6 are listed above, but there is 4 cons for me:
1: Cab rear looks to be fairly straight, without the small cut-out (hard to tell as video fades at this point)
2: Saddle tank handrail is sloped, not straight. 
3: Those bearings look very large. Though this could just be due to being an EP
4: No handrails on saddle tank. Again, this could just be due to being an EP...but I can't see holes

So this could actually be a smaller Peckett, or other industrial 0-4-0ST

Edited by 69843

Looks like an R class too me due to the raised buffer beams.

Actually, missed that.

The joys of looking over an image at 3am can account for that one

Edited by 69843

I like how they've started dropping little teases into their videos, like post-credit treats in films. It certainly gets people watching them even if it's for a main product they aren't fussed about!

The distraction of the RR Hall rolling past is also pretty clever, as those who were expecting a treat might have been duped by that (and judging by some of the Facebook comments, several people have been!)

Looking forward to more of the same treats, and for tomorrow's news about the little 0-4-0, it certainly looks interesting!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sadly for me, looking over that it really does look a lot like a Peckett 1687/W6.

msg-14921-0-87453100-1443718536.png 

Compare this to the plan:

http://www.martynbane.co.uk/peckett/drawings/1687-w6.html

The pros for it being a W6 are listed above, but there is 4 cons for me:

1: Cab rear looks to be fairly straight, without the small cut-out (hard to tell as video fades at this point)

2: Saddle tank handrail is sloped, not straight. 

3: Those bearings look very large. Though this could just be due to being an EP

4: No handrails on saddle tank. Again, this could just be due to being an EP...but I can't see holes

So this could actually be a smaller Peckett, or other industrial 0-4-0ST

The variety of cab backsheets on any one particular class of Peckett engines sometimes defies belief. Trying to sort details for any one variation is a major minefield job and trying to find photos of some of them can be even more difficult.

• Like 2

I definitely hope it's a forthcoming release announcement for an industrial 0-4-0ST, I could really use one for my layout.

There's always room for an 0-4-0ST.

A Peckett would be lovely.

Having said that, the Peckett tanks haven't polled particularly highly. From the 2014 wishlist poll it scored 63 votes, which put it near the bottom in the "low-polling" section".

63 SHT/P&M Peckett E Class 0-4-0ST (as in GWR/BR livery) (1141, 1143, 1145, 1150-1152)

Nevertheless it was on a short list of 'recommended subjects' compiled a handful of years ago by a group involved with the MREmag wishlist poll that called themselves "The locomotive team" if I recall correctly. A recommendation with which I thoroughly agree and so, apparently, did everyone who lauded the Minerva O gauge announcement of one.

It's been very high on my personal wishlist for a long time.

I'll have (at least) one in GWR green please.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

It's also not been unknown for Hornby to drop hints on releases in the background of videos. The main focus in this video were for a start and there's an "engine shed" blog tomorrow.

I suggest that using the ex-LSWR/SR coach samples was entirely a ruse. The coach samples are billed as 'running samples' yet it is Hornby's mobile camera set up that is 'running' past the stationary coaches. (They did the D16 video the same way.) The relative motion makes the coaches out of focus.

If you remember the last Engine Shed, they did mention a 'small' announcement!

Yes, we will all no doubt look forward to tomorrow's engine shed.

As long as it doesn't have any company markings I'll have it in any colour.

Me too. Edited by Ozexpatriate

There's always room for an 0-4-0ST.

A Peckett would be lovely.

Having said that, the Peckett tanks haven't polled particularly highly. From the 2014 wishlist poll it scored 63 votes, which put it near the bottom in the "low-polling" section".

The only thing better than an 0-4-0 tank is an 0-4-0 tender loco. :O

From what has been released in recent years it does seem that the big 2 have other market research tools than the polls.

Bernard

• Like 1

I suggest that using the ex-LSWR/SR coach samples was entirely a ruse. The coach samples are billed as 'running samples' yet it is Hornby's mobile camera set up that is 'running' past the stationary coaches.

Also if these coaches are the first running samples what was 'running' in the radials video months ago?