OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

IIRC Dave has said the 71 moulds have slides that will allow changes to a 74 relatively easily?

The real things were a lot more effort and it wasn't just a case of cutting some vents in the sides, they were completely de-skinned between cabs and a truss frame installed beneath the bodywork to help take the weight of the newly installed diesel engine and its ancillaries.

Various original electrical bits were discarded with the remaining moved around to get weight distribution etc correct.

Apparently far more expensive to do than originally envisaged, the SR would have been better off buying a completely new design of ED proposed by the designers of the class 73's at the time.

• Like 1

Indeed.  Email enquiry sent to confirm the actual meaning.  TOPS-numbered locos should have a full yellow end.  Pre-TOPS locos I believe carried a small panel upon first release to traffic which matched the initial Rep/TC livery and that of numerous DEMU units in the Hampshire area at the time.

As far as I have been able to determine, all the 74s were released from Crewe with full yellow ends. The move to FYE happening a year or more before the locos were ex works. I have a painting diagram for the locos and the size of the yellow panel was confirmed according to the drawing I have on 8 September 1967 a good few weeks before the first one saw the light of day.

IIRC Dave has said the 71 moulds have slides that will allow changes to a 74 relatively easily?

The real things were a lot more effort and it wasn't just a case of cutting some vents in the sides, they were completely de-skinned between cabs and a truss frame installed beneath the bodywork to help take the weight of the newly installed diesel engine and its ancillaries.

Various original electrical bits were discarded with the remaining moved around to get weight distribution etc correct.

Apparently far more expensive to do than originally envisaged, the SR would have been better off buying a completely new design of ED proposed by the designers of the class 73's at the time.

From documents I have seen a new build of 10 locomotives was costed at £935,000, whereas conversion work for the 74s was £625,000. This is from the Reappraisal of Locomotive & Rolling Stock Expenditure submitted to the BRB on 15 June 1967. Of course not one locomotive had been handed over at that point and money had to be spent to get some measure of reliability out of them.

The original idea was for a 3000hp/600hp electro-diesel, but the timescales involved for a new build proved too long and so conversion was opted for instead. Had the original plans been stuck to, we would have seen a locomotive making extensive use of GRP.

Regards

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have one class 71 on order,  if I were to order two Class 74's would I get the extra £20 discount on both of them?

To answer my own question, the answer is YES!

Due to the deafening silence in response to my question on here, I phoned Kernow and the helpful gentleman who answered went and found out for me.  I was told that if you have one Class 71 on order, then you can have the £20 discount off more than one class 74, as long as you honour the order for the class 71.

So I shall be ordering two class 74s shortly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A great way of promoting a model by DJM, this offers a nice discount to customers whilst being accessible to anybody with an interest in the 71 and 74. Very nice touch! Based on the 71 sample shots I have no doubt that the 74 will be a cracking model, I hope it gets lots of sales.

Were the locomotives not lengthened during conversion?

Though I'm sure a lot of the CAD work for the 71's can re-used.

No, they managed to squeeze all the old and new bits required into the existing space eventually after lots of head scratching.

I've seen a photo in a book somewhere of a 74 mid conversion, with the new weight bearing truss framing in place but no bodywork sheeting applied.

Edited by Bert Cheese

• 2 months later...

I'm hoping to save up for this wonderful looking locomotive, then place my order for it.

I only ever saw two in the BR days.

One at Eastleigh and the other fratton / pompy way back in the late 70's.

Fingers crossed it doesn't go up to much in price.

Good luck Dave with these

Edited by 71H
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in placing a pre-order and see that there are two Rail Blue versions to be produced, 74003 & 74009.  I'm by no means an expert on the Class 74, so my question is, are there any detail differences between these two examples, or are all members of the class absolutely identical?

thanks

• RMweb Premium

I'm interested in placing a pre-order and see that there are two Rail Blue versions to be produced, 74003 & 74009.  I'm by no means an expert on the Class 74, so my question is, are there any detail differences between these two examples, or are all members of the class absolutely identical?

thanks

Nothing of significance that I am aware of.  Possibly related to DJModels / Kernow MRC business case for production in that the books might balance better with a greater number of units produced (and therefore potentially also able to be sold a bit cheaper than if fewer were released) and offering those of us who might like more than one an option to buy without having to renumber.  These locos only ever wore one livery so the only variants possible are pre- and post-TOPS numbers, weathering and sound.  None is being offered with sound at this stage and only 74010 with applied weathering.  3 and 9 should therefore be identical except for the number.

Undecided on whether to go for a standard release and give it pre tops number on one side to extend its use or go for the weathered one.  suppose it depends on Will it be an "in service" condition or "as withdrawn" ?

Either way its going to be a stonkingly good model.

Cheers Trailrage

• RMweb Gold

thanks

No they weren't absolutely identical. Some acquired vents on all four of the cab corner pillars - AFAIK 74003 and 74009 didn't have them, but many of the others did, such as 74002/04/05/06/10.

Edited by stovepipe

• 2 months later...

Nothing of significance that I am aware of.  Possibly related to DJModels / Kernow MRC business case for production in that the books might balance better with a greater number of units produced (and therefore potentially also able to be sold a bit cheaper than if fewer were released) and offering those of us who might like more than one an option to buy without having to renumber.  These locos only ever wore one livery so the only variants possible are pre- and post-TOPS numbers, weathering and sound.  None is being offered with sound at this stage and only 74010 with applied weathering.  3 and 9 should therefore be identical except for the number.

74010 with weathering, interesting. It was very patchwork paint wise late on in its life and also lost one of its bodyside windows. I dont know if this was because the window broke and was never replaced or as a modification.

Simon

post-10427-0-87776100-1464985146.jpeg

Found a picture of 74010 late on in its life complete with patchwork paint.

Good luck replicating this if any of you go for the weathered look.

Photo courtesy of the Class 47 Preservation Project Archive.

• Like 4

attachicon.gif74010 EH.jpeg

Found a picture of 74010 late on in its life complete with patchwork paint.

Good luck replicating this if any of you go for the weathered look.

Photo courtesy of the Class 47 Preservation Project Archive.

No problem. I have had models that turned out just like that when an airbrush finish I had applied did not adhee fully and then I stuck masking tape over the top.

Chris

• Like 1

No problem. I have had models that turned out just like that when an airbrush finish I had applied did not adhee fully and then I stuck masking tape over the top.

Chris

Chris

As they say a prototype for everything!

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Is the class 74 still on course for delivery / release later this year or a delay into next year, if anyone knows please ?

Dave has just announced, on the 71 thread, that the crowd-funding offer for both the 71 and the 74 ends this Sunday 10th July, at midnight. After that, it will be full RRP for any more orders or sales. He does not state an expected delivery date though, or final order numbers for either the 71 or the 74.