Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• 1 month later...

I wonder if in time some hi-spec wagons to go with a hi-spec 59 will be released? Such a shame to be running a lovely loco (we hope) with second rate ageing ready to run ARC/Yeoman wagons. I know there are some nice kit built examples available but not every one has the time, inclination or expense to make a lengthy train of these. For more up-to-date operations nothing RTR is available! Quite some variety its possible of course.

I am surprised that a manufacturer has not already done a hi-spec PTA type wagon for example really - they have reasonably widespread geographical coverage, used over a long period of time, varied traction possibilities and usage both on iron ore and aggregates traffic.

Edited by sanspareil

I am surprised that a manufacturer has not already done a hi-spec PTA type wagon for example really - they have reasonably widespread geographical coverage, used over a long period of time, varied traction possibilities and usage both on iron ore and aggregates traffic.

Some nice Hanson Hoppers would be good...

Thankfully never sold my Bachmann RMC JGA Hoppers

Can't wait for this model....

Edited by martin_l_jones

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rail Express have a small note saying Dapol have Started tooling the 59 and are also working on a wagon to go with the new model which will be announced later in the year. I would really like a modern standard PGA to replace my old Lima's but have a feeling it will be a bogie wagon.

• Like 1

Can't seem to find any mention of this model on any of the box shifters websites for pre-ordering.

Try googling the product codes. To order at all shops:

4D-005-000 Class 59 Foster Yeoman Alan J Day 59002

4D-005-001 Class 59 ARC Village Of Great Elm 59103

4D-005-002 Class 59 DB Schenker John F Yeoman

4D-005-003 Class 59 National Power Blue 59204

....there is no RRP currently, thus perhaps why you cannot pre-order as say.

If you mean 'the wagon' then this is not announced yet, and shall be at a later stage in the year.... See post #57

Can't seem to find any mention of this model on any of the box shifters websites for pre-ordering.

Is this an exclusive model ?

If so who from. Thanks for any info in advance.

Ofcourse they are listed....

Try these shops - Ehattons, ColletsModels, Cheltenham MRC....

Rail Express have a small note saying Dapol have Started tooling the 59 and are also working on a wagon to go with the new model which will be announced later in the year. I would really like a modern standard PGA to replace my old Lima's but have a feeling it will be a bogie wagon.

the only wagon that can go with all the models is really a JHA, but I suspect it will be a JNA as they already made the IOA and JNA (Falcons)

regards,

Darryl

• Like 1

the only wagon that can go with all the models is really a JHA, but I suspect it will be a JNA as they already made the IOA and JNA (Falcons)

regards,

Darryl

Why does the "new wagon" have to go with the all of the new releases?

Anyway .. Time will tell and I'm sure there will be many, many, many supertankers worth of froth as well as silly, pointless arguments and people who are allegedly "in the know" who just upset people with silly mind games between now and then .. I however can wait for the Dapol announcement as and when it comes, in the meantime I'll get on with some modelling ( I know, I know. I'm a radical misfit here  :D ). 

MC

Edited by meld

Why does the "new wagon" have to go with the all of the new releases?

Anyway .. Time will tell and I'm sure there will be many, many, many supertankers worth of froth as well as silly, pointless arguments and people who are allegedly "in the know" who just upset people with silly mind games between now and then .. I however can wait for the Dapol announcement as and when it comes, in the meantime I'll get on with some modelling ( I know, I know. I'm a radical misfit here  :D ). 

MC

oops, i read Shunny's post (below) as saying they are working on a wagon to go with (all) the new models

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:44

regards,

darryl

• 1 month later...

Cripes,

Who in their right mind would pre order this after the class 73 ?

Anyone who realizes that....

• mistakes can happen,
  • things can go wrong,
  • it's a phase and it will pass.
  • people who know that basing your judgement on the past isn't going to be the best idea.
  • anyone who realizes that model trains aren't going to affect their actual life.
  • people who've seen how a company like Hornby went through a rough patch and still came out.

There's not a single manufacturer out there whose done everything correct from start. Even the newest manufacturers have faced issues.

• Bachmann cannot even get models out nor design them in 3 years, all they can do is pretend to be the lowest priced models but have sudden price rises. Have details like sandpipes on N gauge models but not on OO gauge. Have sandpipes on N gauge models but no handrails on the very same? Put an unrealistic plastic driver into "one" end of a very realistic model (apparently drivers drive trains from the wrong cab)
  • DJ Models was full of talk and promises and still hasn't got his first own models out. Still have no idea why so many people look up at DJM? DJM just like every other company. All talk and not kept any promises.
  • Hornby had a rough time thanks to the 2012 Olympics and recession. Hornby not getting colours right.
  • Oxford Rail who had a host of issues with their initial batch of Adam's Radialswhich I'm not even going to begin listing.
  • ViTrains and Hornby who found ways to make our hobby cheaper but we lazy and selfish modelers didn't want that. ViTrains had a simple solution, leave the details for the customer to add. Hornby had moulded detail. But we selfish bunch want all the detail and not pay for it.
  • Sutton's Locomotive Works  who manufactured the most detailed British OO gauge model and still used glazing that's worse that 1960's stuff. And who so proudly took pot-shots at Hornby's "Design Clever" strategy...a very low way to advertise products.
  • Heljan who've struggled with getting shapes and overall dimensions right on almost every model.

If you love to live in the past and assume that every Dapol product is going to be bad just because a lot of their Class 73's turned up that way then so be it. I'm sure there's still going to be hundreds of pre-orders because the world's population isn't a thousand. It has Hornby's "Exeter" written all over it. Every time a Hornby model was due so many forum members started their immature assumption that it would end up under-produced like Exeter....

The Class 73 is a lovely model. Yes some of the assembly was wrong (couplings upside down, DCC chip incorrectly wired). But if you look at Dapol's Class 73 it is easily one of the most detailed OO gauge models out there "IF" there was a better QC check. As for damaged models, they could've had a rough ride to the UK and not been checked in the UK. Dapol could've simply had too much faith in the factory.

It's a lesson learnt for Dapol and I think we should stop whinging about it.

At the end of the day out of the 29,000 members on RMweb alone, how many of us can design a model fully? How many can get each and every component dimensionally correct and how many of us can do it for the prices that mainstream manufacturers ask?

PS: Just my personal view and I don't mean to offend anyone.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am looking forward to seeing the latest developments with the class 59 from Dapol. To the extent that I've got one on preorder.

Granted there has been some bumps along the way with other classes, but my two Class 73 locos I received worked straight out of the box and I didn't need to add extra pickups. It was shame this was not universal, but hopefully any further new types will have the snags resolved.

Now back to the 59- I'll be watching with interest to see what new wagon is unveiled to go with this loco!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Pedro32

Do we know if Dapol has dropped plans to fit them with smoke generators, or is this still part of the specification? Seems quite cheap on the ehattons pre-order. 

Just presuming these will be announced/ available after the initial release along with sound fitted versions.

Similar thing happened with the sound fitted 73s.

I notice that the sound fitted 68s are now being listed when they haven't been previously.

I'm not going to requote you entirely but-

mistakes can happen, True

things can go wrong, True

it's a phase and it will pass. Are you sure ? It's not a teenager.

people who know that basing your judgement on the past isn't going to be the best idea.

Er, we are talking about a 2016 model

anyone who realizes that model trains aren't going to affect their actual life.

No, but they will affect my morale and enjoyment if they are not up to scratch.

people who've seen how a company like Hornby went through a rough patch and still came out.

Have you not noticed they are in deep do - do still ?

If anyone has enough faith to pre order after what must rank as one of the worst intros of a new model diesel, go ahead, it's your money.

Personally I'll wait and see what it's really like.

Like you say it won't affect my life to wait.

Hornby had faulty PCBs in the first class 50s. They sent out replacement PCBs to anyone who asked.

Bachmann got the numbers on the wrong coaches in the first release 2 EPBs. they sent out complete replacement bodies.

Heljan had assembly problems with the drive trains in the first issue class 17s. They replace the complete chassis.

What did Dapol do to appease dissatisfied class 73 purchasers? 

Firstly I see nothing new has been said about the Class 59, but one sided moaning. Please can we stick to only posting if we have a factual statement to make on the upcoming Class 59s?

Dapol recently said on Facebook an update shall be published shortly. I believe the EP samples are expected shortly - which shall show ALL tooling features not what shall actually be on the various releases.

What did Dapol do to appease dissatisfied class 73 purchasers? 

If you are dissatisfied, Dapol have offered to make arrangements to fix the DCC. This was announced on 4/12/15: http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=142#.V01qY2Y36C4

Firstly I see nothing new has been said about the Class 59, but one sided moaning. Please can we stick to only posting if we have a factual statement to make on the upcoming Class 59s?

Dapol recently said on Facebook an update shall be published shortly. I believe the EP samples are expected shortly - which shall show ALL tooling features not what shall actually be on the various releases.

If you are dissatisfied, Dapol have offered to make arrangements to fix the DCC. This was announced on 4/12/15: http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=142#.V01qY2Y36C4

That's what humans are good at. Basing judgements on the past models, assuming everything about the future with no evidence (not even of time-travel). And then they become so dissatisfied that they miss the time where the manufacturer has offered to "rectify" it. Dapol did offer to fix the DCC problem. The next major problem was parts falling off. Yes that's a bad thing and if you don't want to put parts back on just get a refund.