Howes models

gooderz

Not sure if anyone is aware, Howes models are now ceasing to sell anything that isnt Heljan, ESU and railmatch. Their secondhand dealings has also stopped.

They're currently doing a 20% discount on everything thats not listed above to shift the stuff.

Personally cant see how they will survive sellign just Remote control stuff and Heljan

It's Heljan spares. They are confident that the working capital tied up in their railway stock can much more effectively generate a return in their other areas. I was there on Friday, and have been a customer for 30 years. It's sad, but it's their livelihoods.

Personally cant see how they will survive sellign just Remote control stuff and Heljan

I suspect the radio control market is bigger in the UK than you'd imagine.

With regard to Railmatch  - tough market  - the paint choices for modellers is now pretty big with some quality products available - Vallejo / Revell / Tamiya / Precision etc..

But thanks for heads up on the discount.

• RMweb Premium

After a couple of alternate shops were mentioned in the Bargain Hunters thread, after a quick google it would appear the closest model shop to Oxford is now the Bourton-on-the-Water model railway (just under 30 miles from the City Centre). Anybody know of anything closer?

After a couple of alternate shops were mentioned in the Bargain Hunters thread, after a quick google it would appear the closest model shop to Oxford is now the Bourton-on-the-Water model railway (just under 30 miles from the City Centre). Anybody know of anything closer?

Trinders in Banbury.

They're not a bad little shop and cover nearly everything but a little on the pricey side like Howes

• Like 1

Living in Witney I'm a regular at Howes, so will be a bit of a blow.

I took the grandkids to Bourton on the Water a few weeks ago and thought the prices were reasonable. You're not going to buy at Hatton's prices but it's a good family run shop.

I think there are restricted opening hours in the winter and it is part of the Model Railway Exhibition.

Next stop for me would be Cheltenham Model Railway Centre.

Terry

Best bet is Boswells in Oxford city centre, classic department style store with an extensive model section. The shop has Airfix and Revell kits, Hornby railways, Scalextric and Corgi, granted if you are after etched grills to imrpove your class 37 they won't be of much use but they do have a large range of fillers, tools, paints, brushes, sprays etc the staff are pretty friendly to boot but not always that gen'd up on models.

Not sure if anyone is aware, Howes models are now ceasing to sell anything that isnt Heljan, ESU and railmatch. Their secondhand dealings has also stopped.

They're currently doing a 20% discount on everything thats not listed above to shift the stuff.

I have only just caught up with this, so it came as a bit of a surprise to me.

I have had many good dealings with Howes in the past but they lost some of my business when they changed the online ordering system so overseas payments could not be processed. I'm sure that has also affected others not in the UK. This meant that one had to phone them up, or email with a list of items to be ordered, then follow with a phone call to give credit card details (it's not a good idea to include those unsecured details in an email).

I sincerely hope they do continue in business for a long time to come.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

message from bryan (howes sounds)

In response to those who are asking about Howes Sounds, fear not, still going strong, in fact I am just finalizing the 05 decoder which will probably be listed on their website next week.. Bryan

• Like 1

Whilst on the subject of Bryan's sounds can he be persuaded to to produce proper Ivatt 2mt/2-6-2 sound for us.

If enough people want a Ivatt 2-6-2, I'm sure the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway can produce an authentic sound chip for an Ivatt as they are releasing their own ESU chips 

If enough people want a Ivatt 2-6-2, I'm sure the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway can produce an authentic sound chip for an Ivatt as they are releasing their own ESU chips

Was looking for the 2-6-0 as mentioned

• 2 weeks later...

Personally hope Bryan is working on some genuine Eastern region stuff. 

Im pleased with his generic files as they sound far better than some that are supposed to be genuine from other companies - however a genuine B1 and K1, followed by Q6 would be fantastic... 

Bryan will be looking at the 3 cyl 'Tango' sound in the near future.

Sad to learn that Howes are pulling out of the mainstream model railway business, having started shopping there when I was still at primary school (ie 1972 if not earlier), including one time when I spent all my money and had no bus fare home ! I wish them all the best for the future. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I suspect the radio control market is bigger in the UK than you'd imagine.

With regard to Railmatch  - tough market  - the paint choices for modellers is now pretty big with some quality products available - Vallejo / Revell / Tamiya / Precision etc..

But thanks for heads up on the discount.

Spoke to Howes at the model boat show today.

Railmatch will continue, as will the Heljan and DCC work. All this is selling well. It's general model railways they are getting out of.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a sad place to visit - after so many years of being a Modelling Mecca for railway items it looks like they are not even going to stock plasticard etc all those items that you would normal 'pop into' your local shop for.  Just paints and Heljan stock / spares/ but s**t loads on RC Tanks, Boats and Quad copters (The scourge of modern day aviation!). Looks like mail order from now on or stocking up at shows :-(