The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

• RMweb Premium

Let's try this. The photos are never going to be the best, cos I'm not a photographer, but here is the tank house anyway. Base is Foamex, overlaid with SEF English bond brickwork and various micro strip. Still needs weathering before placing on the layout.

post-20301-0-25863400-1445630926.jpeg

post-20301-0-82378000-1445630947.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies for the lack of any recent updates but November and December were a bit of a right off due to other commitments. Since the start of this year we have been concentrating on the fiddle yard, it is a mammoth task. Various plans, all involving ladder storage sidings were tried out but none really fitted the bill until one of the group suggested a traverser. But we'd need at least 16 tracks and each one would have to accommodate a loco plus 12 coaches says I - stupid boy!

We also wanted to move locos to the front of outgoing trains so they would be ready for another incoming service, without having to physically handle them. So was born Dave's masterpiece and the initial results can be seen, hopefully, in the attached pic. The whole thing runs on rollers and for transport can be broken down into 3X 4' boards. No complicated electrics, except for a DCC reversing module and, best of all, not one point doing away with all the associated costs they entail.post-20301-0-26183900-1454338687.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just an update. Today, at long last, the 16 road traverser and accompanying loop, to reverse full trains ready for their next turn, was finished and tested. Hallelujah!

To be fair though we have only run a loco through everything so far - testing with up to 12 coaches is still to do.

We had obtained the original plans of all the major railway related buildings some time back and Frank (better known as Ceptic Frank on this website) has done some fantastic work on scaling and drawing these to 4mm. The main station building has been broken down into 3 main parts and I hope to cover the build of the model in stages as I do it. The main shell will be from Foamex, as was the goods shed, with overlays of SEF English bond brick sheet. The main building was quite a complex shape. The following should give some idea but I will try and entice Frank to add some of his stunning drawings as well.post-20301-0-60071900-1458672527_thumb.png

• Like 9

Just an update. Today, at long last, the 16 road traverser and accompanying loop, to reverse full trains ready for their next turn, was finished and tested. Hallelujah!

To be fair though we have only run a loco through everything so far - testing with up to 12 coaches is still to do.

We had obtained the original plans of all the major railway related buildings some time back and Frank (better known as Ceptic Frank on this website) has done some fantastic work on scaling and drawing these to 4mm. The main station building has been broken down into 3 main parts and I hope to cover the build of the model in stages as I do it. The main shell will be from Foamex, as was the goods shed, with overlays of SEF English bond brick sheet. The main building was quite a complex shape. The following should give some idea but I will try and entice Frank to add some of his stunning drawings as well.attachicon.gifimage.png

Hi Roger.

Sorry I've not been able to add much to this thread of late.

Only this morning the near completed SketchUp drawings of 'Building C' (The westernmost of the station) disappeared, due to (I Think ?) Windows 10 taking over and installing some such updates in my absence. Resulting in their gain, and my loss... (of a lot of work...)

I'll get back to you.  Sometime soon, I hope.

All the best,

Frank.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roger.

Sorry I've not been able to add much to this thread of late.

Only this morning the near completed SketchUp drawings of 'Building C' (The westernmost of the station) disappeared, due to (I Think ?) Windows 10 taking over and installing some such updates in my absence. Resulting in their gain, and my loss... (of a lot of work...)

I'll get back to you.  Sometime soon, I hope.

All the best,

Frank.

They are probably there somewhere with only the very last bit of work lost if you were working on them when the computer closed itself down for updating (I hate Microsoft doing this as I have lost quite a bit of work over the years due to this).

Try using the Search facility.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well testing has continued at a pace this week. Apart from some wheel guage issues (why do Hornby insist on a wheel guage different to all other known ones?) and a little tweaking of some point check rails all has gone well.

I will post some photos of the trains we have been testing but a Bradford service comprising 11 bogies and a West Country has had no problems. Nor has the Brokenhurst push pull set comprising Hornby Maunsel set plus air control van and M7 so it bodes well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I promised a "build sequence for the station building so here goes. If some of the photos are upside down perhaps some kind soul would put them the right way up as I have not yet worked out how to do this.

One of our group is able to provide a computerised (not laser) cutting service that can do incredibly accurate shapes from a variety of materials up to 5mm thick. The basic shell is cut from a very strong but light plastic material used normally in the sign making industry. The window/door spaces are cut out oversize. Why will be apparent later.post-20301-0-01430600-1459683607.jpegpost-20301-0-19944100-1459683630.jpeg

Overlaid onto the basic she'll is SEF plasticard sheet, preprinted and with a backing of very strong double sided adhesive. The window/door openings in this layer are the exact size and again, computer cut.

post-20301-0-82173300-1459683872.jpegpost-20301-0-43206400-1459683892.jpegpost-20301-0-04617100-1459683912.jpeg

post-20301-0-59622300-1459683926.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a while, other things getting in the way again but the first part of the station building has now reached this stage. If it's upside down can someone please adjust. Why does it do that???

post-20301-0-65639700-1467192502_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Roger Sunderland
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here goes with some more shots of how things are progressing. Apologies cos I'm no photographer. First up a shot of a dirty 2P leaving the station and passing the water tank area.

Next a picture of what will be the forecourt area with the first part of the station and Queens hotel.post-20301-0-91984800-1467796540_thumb.jpeg

Then we have a shot of the under bridge, still there, on Surrey Rd South

post-20301-0-99487400-1467796717_thumb.jpeg

This is Weymouth held at the signal

post-20301-0-16521100-1467796793_thumb.jpeg

The final shot shows the newly installed loco turntable in the fiddle yard, also gives some idea of the size of the layout

post-20301-0-82289100-1467796905_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Roger Sunderland
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

What an epic project chaps.  

Good luck!

Colin

Agreed, stunning, I look forward to seeing it in action.

Err, any show bookings yet ? ? ?

• Like 1