MRJ 242

MartinWales

But your signature says Radstock.

They are all the same in Somerset aren't they? A bit like a SW version of Norfolk ... Essex ... Northumberland ... and anywhere else I can insult.

Post arrived earlier today ... no still nothing ... so don't get your hopes up just yet.

• RMweb Premium

They are all the same in Somerset aren't they? A bit like a SW version of Norfolk ... Essex ... Northumberland ... and anywhere else I can insult.

What you saying! -  my parents are from at least two fields apart, I'll have you know...

MRJ better turn up soon or anything could happen with this thread....

Post arrived earlier today ... no still nothing ... so don't get your hopes up just yet.

Oh Kenton. Us Essex folk are not that bad.

Both us and our friends in Norfolk only eat babies from Suffolk.

Not arrived here either.

Bernard

Picked up a copy in the Smiths on Derby Station this morning.

The Tales from the Chitting Shed is worth buying the mag alone. Having first read about Bob Barlow's Potato Railway in the Review and that this was an Iain Rice plan, I had hoped that the layout idea would be published after Mr Barlow's untimely death, almost in memorial and my hopes have been answered.

The update on Roger Lycett-Smith's Llanfair layout also appeals to my Cambrian leanings.

Looking forward to reading it with a cuppa later.

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Nice o know the stock is trickling in to the chain stores well before the subscription copies are delivered .... yet again ... why do I bother?

Convenience ? - thats why I subscribe, it turns up regularly. The MRJ is not renowed for it's bargain corner.

Convenience ? - thats why I subscribe, it turns up regularly. The MRJ is not renowed for it's bargain corner.

Not after a bargain. and the term "regularly" is somewhat vague when compared to other magazine subscriptions.

The small circulation number can't be the excuse as I also subscribe to a technical magazine with a list of less than 500 and that gets posted on the predefined issue date (10 copies a year) so not even defined by a regular date.

It is a really good magazine, still the best and usually packed with great articles. I know I jest on here about delays in the post office but it cannot be really true can it? Is it that difficult to manage the dispatch so that copies arrive world wide at about the same time. Or are they just so satisfied to actually get the copies that they all exit the publishers at the same time?

To have problems hitting a publish date almost every month just seems that something is fundamentally wrong. It just ends up being a bad advert to have these topics running for days each month for an otherwise superb magazine. The content is never going to please everyone - no one can expect that but we shouldn't be so fussy on that subject. But at least get the copies out there in the readers hands on time to discuss the content rather than this endless waiting.

Last post for this month (except for a short post indicating it has arrived) I'm sure we are all tiring of the subject, so until next month's missed date...

• RMweb Gold

Popped into the local WHS today as it is magazine delivery day.  No sign of it on the shelf but not all the boxes had been emptied so I duly asked the bloke who was doing the shelf stocking if it had arrived and was in a box he hadn't started on.  Now usually when I ask the lady doing this if she could run through the lists in all the unopened boxes (they only have about 6 - 8 usually) to see if it has arrived they are invariably very helpful although not always successful.

However today it was very clear that the arrival of a never before seen in the branch male had deprived a village of its idiot.  First he looks at the shelves - obviously it won't be there because I had already spent several minutes checking.  Being unable to find it he says 'We don't stock it'.  Somewhat taken aback by his ignorant response I asked why that was the case when there are normally 8 copies of it on the shelf on the day it is delivered?  He then continued in his 'we don't stock it' line of reply -  presumably in the hope that I might hit him or kick him and he could go off sick.  I decided not to gratify his ignorant stupidity and I'm sure the other residents of his home village are still rejoicing at his departure. 

If I get time tomorrow I'll pop in for another look but he will probably have hidden them if they did arrive today.

Not after a bargain. and the term "regularly" is somewhat vague when compared to other magazine subscriptions.

Who cares? Well obviously some do but not me. It's all part of the quaint charm of MRJ. I never bother looking or register the date for the next issue, I have it on subscription and it turns up when it turns up. So many things are focussed on instant gratification, next day delivery etc. etc. it's really nice to have something drop unexpectedly through the letterbox. Fortunately the worlds not going to stop turning if it's tomorrow or next week when it does turn up. 

• RMweb Gold

Who cares? Well obviously some do but not me. It's all part of the quaint charm of MRJ. I never bother looking or register the date for the next issue, I have it on subscription and it turns up when it turns up. So many things are focussed on instant gratification, next day delivery etc. etc. it's really nice to have something drop unexpectedly through the letterbox. Fortunately the worlds not going to stop turning if it's tomorrow or next week when it does turn up. 

And even better - MRJ does not require Java script.

Another subscription copy still not arrived over two weeks after the promised publication date, although clearly the shops have had theirs.

I don't usually moan about MRJ because the contents are generally wonderful - even if the specific subject matter of an article doesn't interest me, there's still almost bound to be something worthwhile there - but the simple mechanics of going to press and distribution seem to be quite beyond the team. It might just be acceptable for a little amateur fanzine, but not for a commercial publication (yes, I know it's only a small print-run, but that makes it worse, not better!)

Contents - usually A++

Distribution - usually C-

Archived