Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Wishlist Poll 2015

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dana

I haven't seen the article you mention, but looking at the website of Southern Region Models, they said they planned a Class 70 kit (quote) 'for this summer' - but that was posted in April 2013. If anyone knows any different, I'd be glad to hear.

Bachmann has indeed produced the LMS Inspection Saloon - and that is why it doesn't appear in The Poll.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

Thought so  , just checked the December 2015 issue and yes ( posted a saved pic of the cover for proof )  A  how to build a class 70 (Hornby ) kit (southern region models )  by Phil Parker on Pg 32 in Practical BRM 

post-10008-0-52493000-1446461298.jpg

...As a fair amount of the major post 1923 and post 1948 steam designs seem to be covered there seems to be a trend by manufacturers to release earlier designs that survived into preservation. It would be interesting to see what type of extinct locomotives modellers would like to see...

An observation on this; thanks in large part to the efficiency of BR(E) in disposing of displaced steam traction and stock, it's long been about extinct classes on the dry side, of pre and post group origin, and even solely of BR build date: Peppercorn A1.

...This may have been covered in the past and, if so, please accept my apologies for bringing it up again. In a future poll do you think there could be a category for Pre-Group locomotives not by specific class but by wheel arrangement with a choice of railway companies? e.g. 4-4-0   LNWR, Midland, Caledonian, North British, Great Eastern, Highland etc. ... An alternative question could be "For which of the following Pre Group companies would you like to see a ready to run locomotive produced?" and have a choice of the major companies in existence between 1890 and 01/1923...

I sympathise with the intent, but contingent on the LNWR Coal Tank's arrival, I think every significant English pre-grouping Railway south of Manchesterish, is now covered with at least one recently introduced OO locomotive model, other than the LT&SR and NLR, both small and 'swallowed up' before the grouping. The lucky few (presently GCR, GNR, GWR, LSWR, MR,) which most significantly or completely defined loco and stock policy in their groups have rather more.  Any such question for this area needs to be shaped in some detail around what additional models would be useful, both locos and stock; and also in what condition: as built, or as modified in use, to as finally operating? Really I feel there is enough of a present enthusiast following that individual votes will suffice.

The sorely neglected parts I would propose are six: Northern England, East(=NER) and West, Scotland, Lowland and Highland, Wales, North and South. (Other divisions are available!) Some way of indicating which of these might prove popular genres in terms of generating sales would be useful. Would it be as simple as 'put down your mark for one of these'?

... I think every significant English pre-grouping Railway south of Manchesterish, is now covered with at least one recently introduced OO locomotive model, other than the LT&SR and NLR, both small and 'swallowed up' before the grouping. ...

Depends what you mean by "significant". The M&GN was the UK's largest joint railway, and even survived Grouping by virtue of its two owners being placed in different companies (LMS and LNER respectively). The LMS gave the LNER a gift of its half of the railway in 1936, so from that date I guess it could be said to have lost its independence.

There's a rather lovely M&GN loco in this year's Poll...

Paul

• RMweb Gold

An alternative question could be "For which of the following Pre Group companies would you like to see a ready to run locomotive produced?" and have a a choice of the major companies in existence between 1890 and 01/1923.

If you are going to go this way, I assume you would count all of the south Wales railways (Taff Vale, Rhymney, Barry, Brecon & Merthyr, etc.) as a single choice, otherwise selecting just 2 of them would be too much of a restriction.

• RMweb Gold

Hello again John (Dickie) (#79)

We have had a look at the situation and agree that - in hindsight - the second link noted by you should come out for next time.

We do say in the Introduction, Q&A and at the head of each category in The Guide that links are supplied as 'supplementary information'. It would be impossible for us to detail every single development or alteration within classes over the years. Links were put in at the request of numerous voters, but we have no control over them. I have loaded a link one day only to check the next and find it has mysteriously changed!

With regard to No.52135, we are still of the opinion that this is a Class 27 - not a Class 28 - although rebuilt with a Belpaire boiler.

We will be revising the whole entry for next time and thank John again for raising the issue.

Depends what you mean by "significant". The M&GN was the UK's largest joint railway, and even survived Grouping by virtue of its two owners being placed in different companies (LMS and LNER respectively). The LMS gave the LNER a gift of its half of the railway in 1936, so from that date I guess it could be said to have lost its independence...

I freely admit regarding the MR Johnson 3F as close enough to what became J41. But it doesn't have anything 'native' from Melton Constable, and none of the GN designs available suit. Although a C1 in M&GN golden ochre with a Derby smokebox grafted on would be a sight to see.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Farren

I'm afraid we don't list 'tender variants' per se. The subject would be too vast. We rely on manufacturers 'extracting the most' from the models they make. However, I will make a note of your comment and add it to the agenda.

Thanks for writing.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for getting back to me and I have to agree with the reason for not adding tender variants. I'll just have to hope Bachmann sees the error of their ways and put it right one day.

• RMweb Gold

Hello 2750

I'm sorry to say that track is a vast subject and one which cannot be handled within The Wishlist Poll.

If you search the forums for 'Track Poll' you will see that RMwebber, Joseph Pestell, ran (or is still running) a very comprehensive survey which should give you some idea of the complexity.

• RMweb Gold

Just a final reminder that The Poll closes at midnight tonight (Saturday 21 November).

We hope to have the results published before Warley and you will find those under a new thread entitled Results - The Wishlist Poll 2015. They will be in the usual format of:

Most Wanted

Results by each category

Top-to-Bottom

Note to Mods: Could you 'lock' this thread sometime after 17.00 today as we will not be able to answer questions after that time. If anyone has any suggestions for the next Poll, we will take them up via the Results thread.

Many thanks

• RMweb Premium

Just a final reminder that The Poll closes at midnight tonight (Saturday 21 November).

We hope to have the results published before Warley and you will find those under a new thread entitled Results - The Wishlist Poll 2015. They will be in the usual format of:

Most Wanted

Results by each category

Top-to-Bottom

Note to Mods: Could you 'lock' this thread sometime after 17.00 today as we will not be able to answer questions after that time. If anyone has any suggestions for the next Poll, we will take them up via the Results thread.

Many thanks

May I extend my thanks to Brian and the team for another successful wish list poll, on behalf of us RM webbers.

Archived