Phil Mc's workbench

Phil Mc

• RMweb Premium

Hi Wayne,

The 33 is painted with Phoenix Precision P152 B.R. Rail Blue (dull) (post 1985).

After I'd coated the body I put a touch of White Primer into the Blue that was left in the airgun, and lightly dusted the paler Blue along the curve between the bodyside & the roof, & also around the door in the bodyside, as those areas look lighter coloured in the pics I'm working from.

Hopefully it's very subtle, but I know it's there !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Impressive paint job Phil....get them chipped and let them Stech there legs on newbryford at hazel Grove show at end of month....been trying to get mick to go retro banger blue!

G

My 'Sea King' & 'Spitfire' have got big Yellow stripes down the sides, Mick might not notice if we snook them onto the layout ??!!

So has 'Valiant' !! :sungum:

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

That's an impressively smooth paint job. And masking job. And lining job. 

Thanks very much !

TBH, there's only the Yellow-end to bodyside colour on each loco where there isn't an 'edge' of some kind to mask up to.

I do pull some stunts that most articles I've ever read about spraying would advise against, like on 101 after the Yellow & Black were on, I covered the end in masking tape then cut it to shape on the model, using the rain gutters & door-shuts as a guide for the blade.

Cheers,

Phil.

Nice work Phil.

It's been so long since I had a loco respray project but your 'Bagpipe' project is getting me tempted.

I'll look forward to seeing them weathered. Would you be willing to take us through your weathering process? I'm not new to weathering but it's always nice to see others work and techniques.

Cheers

Wayne

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much !

TBH, there's only the Yellow-end to bodyside colour on each loco where there isn't an 'edge' of some kind to mask up to.

I do pull some stunts that most articles I've ever read about spraying would advise against, like on 101 after the Yellow & Black were on, I covered the end in masking tape then cut it to shape on the model, using the rain gutters & door-shuts as a guide for the blade.

Cheers,

Phil.

Yes, I used to cut tape on the model too in my diesel days. 

But you have applied enough paint to avoid a gritty finish but not too much to cause a paint ridge at the masking line - and that requires skill. 

• RMweb Premium

My 'Sea King' & 'Spitfire' have got big Yellow stripes down the sides, Mick might not notice if we snook them onto the layout ??!!

So has 'Valiant' !! :sungum:

Cheers,

Phil.

I will..... not enough yellow.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Impressive paint job Phil....get them chipped and let them Stech there legs on newbryford at hazel Grove show at end of month....been trying to get mick to go retro banger blue!

G

Boring blue more like....................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Don't think anyone will learn anything new from my weathering, unless its how not to do it !

First mistake was adding a dark wash to the door-shuts, I should have done it before varnishing the bodies, as its leaked out onto the bodywork & I can't remove it without making a real mess !!

All the weathering on these is airbrushed.

With the body removed 'frame dirt' is sprayed onto the wheels as they're spinning.

The bogies are then moved to full rotation and the top edges covered (its a pet-hate of mine to see a weathered loco that looks great on straight track, but the tops of the bogies are spotless as it goes round a corner!!)

The chassis is then sprayed from all 4 'diagonals', (from below travelling left to right, from below travelling right to left, from above travelling left to right, from above travelling right to left) this hopefully eliminates any missed areas.

The ends are then done the same way.

The body is then loosely dropped onto the chassis, but not pressed fully down into position.

I then spray aiming at the section of chassis that will eventually be covered by the bottom of the body, so the 'overspray' is what actually goes onto the lower edge of the body.

Colour is swapped for 'brake dust', which is then applied randomly (but paying attention to prototype pics!) over the chassis.

Some loco's also get patches of 'light rust' or 'dark rust' or any other colour that seems appropriate.

Don't worry if it looks too patchy at this point.!

'roof dirt' is then applied to the roof(!), using a piece of appropriate height cardboard stood against the body to stop the spray going too far down the sides.

Same colour is then applied to the chassis, concentrating towards the top of the chassis on areas like the top of fuel tanks & tops of steps where boots would rub the dirt away.

Any patchiness in the previously applied colours is also blended in with this colour, by lightly overspraying the affected area.

Same colour is also used to add the grease on the buffers.

'matt black' is then used to add the soot around exhaust ports (& maybe more buffer grease!)

Hope that all makes sense !!

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-32444300-1508360835_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-04029500-1508360880_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-93418900-1508360894_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-74416200-1508360908_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-40126000-1508360926_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-73418500-1508360939_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Boring blue more like....................

Cheers,

Mick

I reckon a pair of Dutch Cromptons hauling my autoballasters would look pretty cool :sungum:

Even though I can't bring myself to run mixed era's !! :nono:

Cheers,

Phil.

Boring blue...!!!... blue ex works...blue 2 weeks ex works....weathered a bit..... weathered a lot.... the only yellow should be on the front! If feeling a bit avant-garde a bit round the cab Windows!

As Peter kay says.... 'a bit of Blue for the dad's '...

G

• RMweb Premium

Boring blue...!!!... blue ex works...blue 2 weeks ex works....weathered a bit..... weathered a lot.... the only yellow should be on the front! If feeling a bit avant-garde a bit round the cab Windows!

As Peter kay says.... 'a bit of Blue for the dad's '...

G

There goes your free meal next weekend............

• RMweb Premium

Next project-

Having recently done 57603 in gWr Green, and already having 57604 (GWR Green) and 57605 (FGW  Purple), I figured it would be rude not to do 57602 !

So another 57603 was acquired, all that needs doing is to change the number on the end and stick new plates on the side, can't be any more to it than that surely ?!

Well apart from the colour of the lamp brackets, colour around the lights, colour of the cab door handrails, addition of electric warning flashes......

.....and the end number is a different size !!

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-08183200-1508590248_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-35354000-1508590266_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Next project-

Having recently done 57603 in gWr Green, and already having 57604 (GWR Green) and 57605 (FGW  Purple), I figured it would be rude not to do 57602 !

So another 57603 was acquired, all that needs doing is to change the number on the end and stick new plates on the side, can't be any more to it than that surely ?!

Well apart from the colour of the lamp brackets, colour around the lights, colour of the cab door handrails, addition of electric warning flashes......

.....and the end number is a different size !!

Cheers,

Phil.

You can send one down to me if you like Phil.....it'll look right at home!  :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

You can send one down to me if you like Phil.....it'll look right at home!  :laugh:

I've got a variety of stock that would suit your layout !

I reckon my 'dynamic lines' livery sleeper set would look right at home :sungum:

3 sleepers & TSO are straight repaints, the BFO & buffet are Hurst Models brass sides, I did them years ago and remember having to make up a mix for the colour of the doors. But at least the bodies are Purple & not Hornby's lilac shade!!

This is the only pic I can find of them !!

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-96363400-1508603814_thumb.jpg

• Like 3