Problems moving a loco within a block at a schedule finish

john dew

• RMweb Gold

I do many loco exchanges on my layout but my current project is creating major problems. I have spent literally all day trying to find a solution

I have set up a simplified file, atttached, that hopefully demonstrates the problem

A schedule moves a train from Block 1 to Block 2. At the finish of the schedule, using Train Operations, it is reversed for a couple of seconds......the Kadee Shuffle

The screen on the file is set up with a switchboard,block diagram,train window,traffic control and simulator

There are three possible schedules

S 1  Moves either a complete train or a single loco into Block 2 leaving Block 1 empty
The train window shows the loco come to a stop, after a delay the direction indicator reverses and the speed indicator show 20mph for 2 seconds

S 2   Separates the loco, leaves both cars in Block 1 and moves the loco to Block 2
The train window shows the loco come to a stop, after a delay the direction indicator reverses but the speed indicator does not move

S 3  Separates the two cars, leaves the last car in Block 1 and moves the the loco and leading car into Block 2
The train window shows the loco come to a stop, after a delay the direction indicator reverses and the speed indicator show 20mph for 2 seconds

In essence a single train or loco will obey the command to move as will a train where the cars are split but a loco separated from the entire train will not.

Hopefully the file will demonstrate the anomaly more clearly.

The CIs have to be set up manually in Block 1 and I have adjusted the memory to reflect what happens on the layout where the cars have resistive wheel sets.

For a number of practical reasons  I was hoping to operate S2 where I could separate the train for TC in block 1 but execute the physical separation in block 2

I would be very grateful if someone could point out what I am doing wrong!

Uncouple Test.yrrg

Edited thanks to Andy Y    *.yrrg files can now be updated (below 1MB of course)

Regards

John

Edited by john dew

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

How time flies! I had forgotten all about that post.

Its hardly surprising I didnt get any response in 2015......re-reading it today I can hardly grasp the issue myself. I guess its related to locos doing the kadee shuffle and the sequence of physical separation and TC separation.......I guess I must have solved it somehow.

But that of course was V8. The introduction of limited distance moves with V9 has, for me,  made the kadee shuffle  more elegant and effective. However something may have changed because right now I am struggling with a particular sequence. 

Loco 1 hauls trainset into bay platform. At finish of schedule ....kadee shuffle....uncouples......TC separates locomotive..............works like a dream

On follow up schedule Loco 2 advances to couple with rear of trainset  and move trainset  to siding in order to release Loco 1

The problem arises when at the finish of this second schedule Loco 2 is asked to perform a kadee coupling shuffle.........right now the separated Loco (1) and the coupling loco (2) do the shuffle in unison..... which is both disconcerting and unprototypical.!  I am sure it is to do with the sequence/timing of separating and joining. I am still working on possible solutions but wouldnt be surprised if I have seek help on the RR&Co forum.

Cheers

John

ps I like the video, flying spanner.......the Helix's are very impressive.

• RMweb Gold

there is no need to do the shuffle to couple just reverse into the rolling stock join and pull forward

Not always on Granby! So I add a reverse shuffle to make sure......belt and braces.