Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

Englefield

O gauge 1950 CNR SP NYC WAB

• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

#226 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationRoyal Wootton Bassett

Posted 29 May 2017 - 19:39

I've started the rebuild by taking out the point at the far end of the loop. This is being replaced by two plain parallel tracks ending on the short fiddle yard, disappearing out of view behind the feed mill. By doing this, I've got a better length of loop line. (Should have done this before) One track is made and in, but my soldering iron has given up. I do try to look after it, but it does corrode away with use and becomes shorter. Once it gets really short, it overheats and is unusable. There are replacement bits for this and my other big iron on order, currently in the post, so I've been amusing myself with another job, looking at what I've got on wheels.
The stock for the line has been built up over a long time, new, second hand, and homemade, and I've been assessing how each item is going to fit in overall in future, including whether some half done jobs are necessary, and what to do with such items as a Fairbanks Morse war bonnet which was going cheap. Once the layout rebuild is finished, I know the siding accommodation, train lengths, and any spare room, and so just what is needed to work the layout to represent one particular system. Starting with the CNR, I've got a plan for what this will be, and what's surplus to transfer to another plan. Then each item needs a storage box, something basic that's stackable and will protect it from knocks and dust. Some of the stock hasn't got anything, and one or two boxes are too bulky, but then most are ok, so I've been making up some from cardboard or greyboard. A colour label goes on the end, mid green for the CNR, and an address label with what's inside, reporting mark and number, and maker. Then each box gets a number in sequence for the plan. There's a red sticker added if work is needed to complete the unit. You'll appreciate this is going to be quite an ongoing job.IMG_1055.JPG
  • Like x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#227 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 19:31

The soldering iron bits have come and I've got stuck into the track. After each session I'm following the wiseacres advice and cleaning the tip with a wet sponge, hoping it won't corrode away so quickly. The track is finished up that end now, with both tracks running off into cassettes, giving me a runaround and a bit extra length in the loop. While I was at it the road crossing has come out, it looked nice, but not very realistic, particularly now its more across the loop than before. Then the "boardwalk" platform has been extended which will help with a longer passenger train. Now it's time to turn my attention to the runoff to the fiddle yard. You'll notice in the shot one of the new gon's has been painted, though it looks too clean for a gon.
IMG_1100.JPG
I haven't done an issue of the Beep Bashers Digest since last November, when we had a comparison of an Atlas Plymouth and the new Beep. As I recently remarked, if I want a session shoving a few cars around, Ive become quite fond of the Beep, and so..
Way back, I dug a brass hood out of the Quince Valley lucky dip tub for a £1, well, just for a quid, even if you don't know what you will do with it. Looking at it recently and comparing it with drawings, I decided it was intended to be part of a GP7 kit, it's got nice etched catches and hinges, but no louvres. As a result, its become the basis of a brass Beep, but no lost wax castings with this one. I cut out a nickel silver deck using the dimensions of the RMT model, and trimmed the hood to fit along the door lines. It will fit over the Atlas chassis nicely without any grinding off for the ballast weight. Here's what it's shaped into so far.
IMG_1096.JPG
  • Like x 3
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#228 mikjd

mikjd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationWildest Norfolk

Posted 12 June 2017 - 21:22

Looks like a Gilmaur U boat hood .................... :senile:

#229 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 21:36

Yeah, see what you mean, that could account for the lack of louvres. I never went into the second generation stuff. Oh well, it's going to end up a Beep.
  • Like x 1

#230 mikjd

mikjd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationWildest Norfolk

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:40

I have a few spare U-boat castings and etched bits somewhere if you're interested - unfortunately I'm just off to Le Mans for the week (bit of a race at the weekend :yahoo: ), but let me know if you're interested.

• Thanks x 1

#231 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:15

Thanks for the offer - driving or watching? (Either pretty knackering, I would think) TBH, the only cast bits would be the fans which are coming off a surplus plastic F9 bodyshell. Everything downstairs will be different, otherwise only the horns, which I get from a helpful young man at the Winchester show.

#232 jasond

jasond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationLudgershall, Wilts, UK

Posted 14 June 2017 - 19:06

Don't hack another F9 shell just yet.  Exits to garage.

#233 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 19:35

I'm using the chassis of the Atlas F9 for a GP7 superstructure kit I bought off you some time back, so the bodyshell is spare, anyway. Talking of the garage, what we need to know is what's happening layout wise. How are you doing?

#234 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 19:11

I have managed to get some rolling stock done, starting with the two Atlas gondolas I got on eBay recently. Change the wheel sets and the couplers, then take off the lettering, which was done as white letters straight on to the plastic. Then brush paint using Phoenix paints red oxide for the NYC, BR late bauxite for the MKT. Hand lettering in white with a mapping pen, I know, transfers would be better. Then a light wash and wipe in black, followed by some pastel chalk treatment. I must try and find some of this typewriter correction paper and do Jackys way of chalk marks just to finish off. The one good thing I'm glad about is that with this era you didn't have dimwits with paint spray cans wandering around the sidings. I must find some loads too, a loaded open always looks more interesting. Some guys will go a bit further with gons, using heat to distort the top rail and bulge the sides, me, I'm a coward like that.IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1151.JPG
Some time ago, I posted a picture of another eBay job, a bay window caboose belonging to CSXT, whatever that is. This needed more work on getting the paint off. Time was you could put some stripper on, the paint skin would blister and damn near fall off, and you could use brake fluid instead of stripper. Well, brake fluid is dearer, and paint formulation has changed, it would seem. I've tried Revell paint stripper and Phoenix superstrip, with much the same result. It combines with the paint into a soft gooey, clingy sludge. If you leave it, it just dries and you're back to where you were, so you have to get rid of the sludge. I do this with white spirit and a rag, but it does need several applications to shift it all. The caboose was good for what I wanted, but it would seem there variations with each build on which window was blanked off, I did one to match the photos. While I was at it, I scraped off the handrails, which were represented by a moulded ridge, and fitted some brass rod. A piece of wood went inside for a bit of weight. I took the glazing out while I painted it, more red oxide with red ends - later on SP went to orange. New clear plastic glazing, and weathering as before.IMG_1150.JPG
I also paired it up with my black widow Alco for a caboose hop. Since you last saw her, she's gained a full set of horns, from our Jason at the Winchester show last year. Now isn't that a sight for sore eyes?IMG_1153.JPG
  • Like x 4
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#235 JAMO

JAMO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:52

That's nice!

• Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#236 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 18:38

The layout rebuild is starting to take shape, now I've moved on from the runoff into the Englefield end short cassettes. The old fiddle yard, formed on a cutdown door which made a big heavy lump, has been taken out. Englefield depot is made up of two boards,and the one the depot itself stands on has been kept. The other, shorter, one has also gone, and the trackwork on it lifted. It's been replaced by a new 4' board which is shared between the two depots. Another old 4' board has been resurfaced with new ply and paired up with it. Here's a couple of shots which I hope will make clear what's going on.IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG
You'll see I've made up a point assembly shared between the two depots, and this is ready to be laid on new cork underlay. The woodworking plant has moved on to the second depot, and I've just roughed out a board for a short cassette yard at this end. Next step is marry up the tracks on the Englefield depot board.
  • Like x 5

#237 JAMO

JAMO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 23 July 2017 - 16:30

That's interesting!

• Thanks x 1

#238 DanielB

DanielB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • LocationChesterfield

Posted 23 July 2017 - 17:59

Very cool - like a pair of micro layouts fused together. :)

• Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#239 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 15:29

Well, the way I figure it is that you need a fiddle yard with a small terminus, so you might as well replace it with another terminus, which will look more interesting. Shunting in the one terminus will spill over into the other, which might upset some folks, but doesn't bother me. Then each of the outer ends of the layout has a short cassette yard, which is a convenient way to get a shortened run round facility, but in addition can be used for limited storage, and also used to swap cars between the roads, so there's a form of shunting possible at the outer end of each depot as well. Then again, I'm not a fan of shunting, if I can run trains from A to B I'll be happy.
  • Like x 1

#240 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 22:08

I'm working away from base most of the time this month, as its school holidays and I'm looking after my top link crew. Best thing I can do for now is remind everyone to maintain their lines safety record:

IMG_1187.JPG
  • Like x 2

#241 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 18:53

Still nothing much happening, with the ongoing school holidays, so I thought I'd show a job I did a while ago. It's a 40' steel gondola by Pola Maxi, which was one of three I got thrown in with a diesel to make the value up. It's got new couplers, but kept the old bogies. It doesn't look anything much, although I do like a the rivetted joins, done by a German(?) toolmaker far better than anything I could do. To give it a bit more interest, I've made it into a GS (general service) type. It appears these are more of a feature of Western lines, having bottom doors hinged from the centre sill, and allowing loads to be discharged trackside along the length of the wagon. The outer edge of the doors were linked to chains passing round a rotating shaft along the bottom edge of the wagon, so they could be closed after discharge. I just added downward extensions to the stanchions along the sides, and a rod with extra short tubes passing through the extensions. My toolmaker would have done the tubes as bobbins with tiny chains round them, my work is a very barebones bodge. I've put an extra sketchy representation on the outer corner of the ends where the shaft ends in a ratchet mechanism. A big lever went into here to turn the shaft and close the doors.IMG_1194.JPG IMG_1193.JPG
  • Like x 2

#242 unklian

unklian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 20:07

Being nosey, I would like to know where the " Ouest 1900 passenger sets"  come in all this  ?? :offtopic:

#243 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 21:35

Ah yes, you spotted some storage boxes under the line. Well, I've got two threads on the go, 1950s North American,(this one), and British pre-group on the other thread, at present LBSC 1880, but it don't stop there. Then there's another two lines half way to something, one is 1900s French, which is where those boxes come in, and again that could go further, and also a sort of On16.5 whimsical job. Taking a realistic view, I'm trying to do too much, but it's fun, ain't it? Hopefully a few more months work, and another two threads can go in on the signature. Don't hold your breath, though, I'm coming up eighty.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: O gauge, 1950, CNR, SP, NYC, WAB