Locomotion FGW Class 43 'Harry Patch' - 'We will remember them'

Andy Y

Locomotion exclusive logo.jpg

‘We Will Remember Them’

Harry Patch.jpg

Today at 11.00am at Temple Mead, Bristol Station a very special ceremony will take place with the naming of FGW Class 43 172 ‘Harry Patch”.

'Henry John "Harry" Patch was born 17th June 1898 in Combe Down, Bath. He became known as ‘the Last Fighting Tommy’ when his character endeared him to the nation which made him a symbol of remembrance not only for the Great War but subsequent conflicts as well. In fact his time in the war was relatively short having arrived in France in June 1917 as a part of a Lewis gun team with the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry. Just three months after arriving, on 22nd September 1917 Harry was badly injured when a shell exploded nearby killing three of his comrades, a date he would later refer to as his own personal Remembrance Day. Harry couldn’t listen to the words of ‘Ode of Remembrance’ without remembering his fallen comrades whose nicknames, Jack, Maudy and Jilly, along with the verse from Laurence Binyon’s poem are now immortalised on the First Great Western Class 43 locomotive, number 43 172. Harry died on 25th July 2009 aged 111 years, 1 month, 1 week, 1 day, the last survivor from the trenches of the Great War.

We will remember them.

Used by kind permission – Paul Gentleman

To commemorate the naming as well as celebrating the lives of all those who paid the ultimate price during the ‘Great War’, Locomotionmodels.com in association with Hornby Hobbies Ltd. have produced 500 Limited Edition train packs containing Great Western Railway HST Power Car ‘Harry Patch’ together with the unpowered HST number 43 154.  Included in the specially commissioned train pack will be a numbered and signed certificate commemorating not only the naming of the HST but also the life of Harry Patch.

The dynamic and intricate livery on the HST, specially created by Paul Gentleman for Great Western Railway has been superbly reproduced using the latest in model printing techniques and captures not only the evocative artwork of the graphics but also the sombre overtones and the motivation behind the naming.

This exclusive train pack is only available from Locomotionmodels.com and it is expected that the demand for this incredibly evocative limited edition model is bound to be high.  The Limited Edition ‘Harry Patch’ Train Pack is currently in stock and ready for immediate despatch.

The retail price of the ‘Harry Patch’ Train pack is £220 plus P&P.

Harry Patch box.jpg

a1cd8fe0-6203-4a21-9b6b-def93caaa7b4.jpg

92052110-0858-4a1c-a945-3470d9f66296.jpg

A message from Simon:

Dear Friends and RMWeb readers,

It was Shakespeare who wrote, ‘The best laid plans of mice and men….’ and this is certainly applicable to the Locomotion Models announcement of their exclusive model of the HST pack, ‘Harry Patch’.  Locomotionmodels.com have been working on this model along with GWR and Hornby for the best part of a year.  GWR and their designers have been exceptionally helpful and certainly where Hornby are concerned they have pulled out all the stops so that we at Locmotionmodels.com could have the exclusive train pack available for immediate despatch as soon as the naming ceremony had been completed at Temple Mead, Bristol.  

The Press Release was compiled and the Locomotionmodels.com Newsletter was created both of which should have ‘gone live’ at 11.00 o’clock this morning.  Unfortunately something went wrong and the Newsletter was sent out just before midnight yesterday.  As you can imagine making an announcement as important as ‘Harry Patch’ before the actual naming is both incredibly embarrassing as well as being totally wrong, which is why I asked Andy as soon as we were aware that the Newsletter had been sent out to remove the ‘Harry Patch’ thread.

By using the RMWeb site I would personally like to apologise to GWR for our error as well as to those who may have been confused as to what was happening. Hopefully as this message goes live the Locomotionmodels.com website and telephone ordering system will be activated so orders for the immediate despatch of the ‘Harry Patch’ model can occur.

Once again apologies to all those who were confused, the error was entirely down the Locomotionmodels.com.

Yours most sincerely

Simon Kohler

• RMweb Gold

Wow!  

That does look superb and will no doubt prove extremely popular.

A very good job all round from those concerned and also nice to see GWR commemorating Harry Patch and Remembrance Day.

Ordered! Cracking livery. Just have to wait for the VTEC one now!

I am not surprised FGW/GWR have been happy to work with you on this one, as I know Mark Hopwood is a model railway fan from when we last spoke.

Question, do these usually work with high density ie no buffet, sets?

This model is certainly going to be popular. The model looks great and is indeed a brilliant depiction of the prototype being unveiled today. 

It's fitting that Harry Patch gets a top link loco in current form for the role of being remembered. Interestingly GWR have not applied the green livery to the end of the power car which would make it easier for it to be maintained longside the rest of their fleet as they switch from First Group purple to GWR Green. 

I'm sure that the announcement and news of the models availability on the day is not causing too many issues. The news of the power car was already hitting the internet last night as forums and groups latched on to events and what was happening. As soon as this became apparent it was obvious that this would take the form of the new model by Shildon at Locomotion. Credit should be given for the way in which First Group have been able to organised this alongside the excellent working relationship between Locomotion and Hornby, as this would take much planning and be able to get all the art work and delivery ready alongside the presentation currently underway at Bristol Temple Meads. 

Its also striking that this becomes the first model to branch out from the NRM's own range, that Locomotion is able to now offer models of limited editions in tune with developments elsewhere. Its very positive for future developments in so much that Locomotion have proven, that they can organised and deliver such a product to market under their own organisation and administration - so well done to the team through at Shildon, with roles from FGW and Margate helping too. Simons role can also be seen orchestrating such an event, which is highly impressive. Even with this news leaking out slightly early, this is not the first time its happened in Model Railways and I doubt will be the last. I doubt many at the celebrations now have noticed and the positive press from the day will certainly overlook this. 

Locomotion Models and its working relationships is going from strength to strength and the NRM should be proud of its development with the industry and quickly growing impressive reputation. Simon was right, Shakespeare is an inspriation for thought on a day such as this... but rather than best laid plans perhaps we should be quoting Rosalind from, As You Like it;

"Why then can one desire too much of a good thing?"

An interesting thought on where Locomotion Models, goes from here... 

A winner on several counts for me. I have long wanted a model of the HST and this is perfect given my involvement with the "Unknown Warrior."

Hopefully the prototype will stay in this form long enough to line up with the Unknown Warrior in 2018. FGW please note. It would be a magnificent tribute.

The Unknown Warrior is due to steam in late 2017 - we are still on target.

• RMweb Gold

Superb model. Wrong region for me, but who cares - I'm a sucker for any HST, and this one's rather special.

My apologies to Charlie and Bif - The £400-odd quid for decoders that was coming your way at Spalding or Warley has been re-allocated to a 2+8 formation that; just 24 hours ago; I was unaware of. Mind you; I'd convinced myself that it would be 41001 that was announced, so I was kind-of expecting a purchase.

At least the Genesis Kits cab and the dummy power car that I have on my workbench aren't resigned to the parts bin.

It's addictive this model railway malarkey, isn't it?

Rob

This model is certainly going to be popular. The model looks great and is indeed a brilliant depiction of the prototype being unveiled today. 

It's fitting that Harry Patch gets a top link loco in current form for the role of being remembered. Interestingly GWR have not applied the green livery to the end of the power car which would make it easier for it to be maintained longside the rest of their fleet as they switch from First Group purple to GWR Green. 

I'm sure that the announcement and news of the models availability on the day is not causing too many issues. The news of the power car was already hitting the internet last night as forums and groups latched on to events and what was happening. As soon as this became apparent it was obvious that this would take the form of the new model by Shildon at Locomotion. Credit should be given for the way in which First Group have been able to organised this alongside the excellent working relationship between Locomotion and Hornby, as this would take much planning and be able to get all the art work and delivery ready alongside the presentation currently underway at Bristol Temple Meads. 

Its also striking that this becomes the first model to branch out from the NRM's own range, that Locomotion is able to now offer models of limited editions in tune with developments elsewhere. Its very positive for future developments in so much that Locomotion have proven, that they can organised and deliver such a product to market under their own organisation and administration - so well done to the team through at Shildon, with roles from FGW and Margate helping too. Simons role can also be seen orchestrating such an event, which is highly impressive. Even with this news leaking out slightly early, this is not the first time its happened in Model Railways and I doubt will be the last. I doubt many at the celebrations now have noticed and the positive press from the day will certainly overlook this. 

Locomotion Models and its working relationships is going from strength to strength and the NRM should be proud of its development with the industry and quickly growing impressive reputation. Simon was right, Shakespeare is an inspriation for thought on a day such as this... but rather than best laid plans perhaps we should be quoting Rosalind from, As You Like it;

"Why then can one desire too much of a good thing?"

An interesting thought on where Locomotion Models, goes from here... 

Whilst it may not be part of the National Collection at the moment it is quite possible that Harry Patch is the designated power car for official preservation in due course.

This is very nice. The only thing that puts me off from buying a set (or the NRM 40 version) is that I also have to buy a dummy power car which I really do not want.

Bug it is very very nice and I hope some money went or will go to the British Royal Legion.

Guest spet0114

Its also striking that this becomes the first model to branch out from the NRM's own range...

No it's not. They've released several models of items not in the national collection.

• RMweb Gold

This is very nice. The only thing that puts me off from buying a set (or the NRM 40 version) is that I also have to buy a dummy power car which I really do not want.

Bug it is very very nice and I hope some money went or will go to the British Royal Legion.

Regrettably although the price is only a little above the standard Hornby HST twin pack price there is no indication that any money from sales will go to the Royal British Legion - which might perhaps, in the eyes of some, sit a little uneasily with these words  on Locomotion's website describing the model -

To commemorate the naming as well as celebrating the lives of all those who paid the ultimate price during the ‘Great War’, Locomotionmodels.com in association with Hornby Hobbies Ltd. have produced 500 Limited Edition train packs containing FGW HST Power Car ‘Harry Patch’ together with the unpowered HST Number 43 154. Included in the specially commissioned train pack will be a numbered and signed certificate commemorating not only the naming of the HST but also celebrating the life of Harry Patch.

• RMweb Premium

Regrettably although the price is only a little above the standard Hornby HST twin pack price there is no indication that any money from sales will go to the Royal British Legion - which might perhaps, in the eyes of some, sit a little uneasily with these words on Locomotion's website describing the model -

To commemorate the naming as well as celebrating the lives of all those who paid the ultimate price during the ‘Great War’, Locomotionmodels.com in association with Hornby Hobbies Ltd. have produced 500 Limited Edition train packs containing FGW HST Power Car ‘Harry Patch’ together with the unpowered HST Number 43 154. Included in the specially commissioned train pack will be a numbered and signed certificate commemorating not only the naming of the HST but also celebrating the life of Harry Patch.

From the back of the box. All profit to the museum.

post-7482-0-91682500-1446851499_thumb.jpeg

No it's not. They've released several models of items not in the national collection.

Really? Im not aware of any models made that are limited edition, unique to Shildon and Locomotion that are not in the National Collection, or linked to the organisation. 

I know they sell items from the main ranges, but when it comes to new releases Id assume its obvious that Im talking about items unique to purchasing them from Locomotion. 

Guest spet0114

Really? Im not aware of any models made that are limited edition, unique to Shildon and Locomotion that are not in the National Collection, or linked to the organisation. 

I know they sell items from the main ranges, but when it comes to new releases Id assume its obvious that Im talking about items unique to purchasing them from Locomotion.

The current model of 62822 fulfills all these criteria.

Guest spet0114

Personally, I find this release a disturbing development. Rather than producing a range of exclusive models focused on the National Collection, Locomotion appear to now be just another commissioner of any old limited edition they think will sell - a sort of state-sponsored version of Rail Express. Additionally, having made a big fuss over their 'NCIM' branding with recent releases, they've now produced a model not in the NCIM range but in almost identical branding. This doesn't strike me as a particularly clever. Sorry Simon, your 'development' of the brand isn't going well, IMO.

Cheers

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Personally, I find this release a disturbing development. Rather than producing a range of exclusive models focused on the National Collection, Locomotion appear to now be just another commissioner of any old limited edition they think will sell - a sort of state-sponsored version of Rail Express. Additionally, having made a big fuss over their 'NCIM' branding with recent releases, they've now produced a model not in the NCIM range but in almost identical branding. This doesn't strike me as a particularly clever. Sorry Simon, your 'development' of the brand isn't going well, IMO.

Cheers

Adrian

The fact that it is in the NCiM collection packaging makes me think that this particular HST power Car combination will become part of the National Collection. There has been no indication that the other HST NRM 40 commissioned will be in the same packaging.

From the back of the box. All profit to the museum.

There could be a licensing fee which includes a payment to the Royal British Legion. The charity donation doesn't have to come out of profits. Until anyone official says otherwise ...

Guest spet0114

The fact that it is in the NCiM collection packaging makes me think that this particular HST power Car combination will become part of the National Collection. There has been no indication that the other HST NRM 40 commissioned will be in the same packaging.

The packaging for this model has no NCIM logo, text or branding. It is, however, in packaging that looks a lot like the NCIM packaging.

There could be a licensing fee which includes a payment to the Royal British Legion. The charity donation doesn't have to come out of profits. Until anyone official says otherwise ...

I am concerned that there appears to be no donation to the RBL from the sales of this model. I call on Locomotion to clarify this and if currently there is no donation, to reconsider.

If Locomotion is not going to make a donation to the RBL, I call on everyone who purchases this model to make their own donation. I will.

As I think Locomotion is a charity, I know that there are issues about charities making a donation to another charity, in which case I believe that each purchaser should fill the gap. Gift Aided if possible.

• RMweb Premium

The packaging for this model has no NCIM logo, text or branding. It is, however, in packaging that looks a lot like the NCIM packaging.

My apologies, you are indeed correct. I didn't look closely enough to notice that.

Archived