Westonmouth Central

HillsideDepot

• RMweb Gold

Lots of Western feel on this model. Bristol Panel is instantly recognisable and your attention to detail in the Medium Wide loc by the foot crossing and the two Medium Narrow under the bridge to me show good observation of WR signalling practice. Are they scratch built or does someone make them? The C&W building oozes GW (if I were up to building one it would be for the S&T lineman!). The parcels building looks familiar but I can't quite place where it reminds me of.

Wish my skills were that good.

Thanks, Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the compliments Paul, I'm glad it says "Western" so loudly.

I think the location cabinets are from the Knightwing range, they're definitely not scratch built. As for placing, far more luck than judgement in that, but maybe just immersing myself in so much "Western" works subliminally.  

The C&W building is inspired by one at Westbury (Wilts) which is rather larger and houses infrastructure people rather than rolling stock, but with digital photos being "free" I'm always keen to record things and file them away in the "ideas" file. Although so much has been swept away now I am rather fascinated by the abundance of huts and buildings which used to be found all over the railway. Whilst not the same style, those formerly at the west end of Reading General were the inspiration for the ones on Westonmouth Central. Who 'lived' in all these little buildings, dotted around? Some no doubt would be trades long gone, others probably now roam around in Transit vans, but whoever they were, their huts need replicating.

The parcels depot is just generic, but if it looks familiar, I'm more than happy with that!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A class 35 Hymek ticks over in the platform having arrived with a short passenger train from Taunton. The Ticket Collector at the barrier passes the time of day with a colleague.

Central_0016.jpg.1e98c9ab33024fd0c6d89e52f5d68f81.jpg

Edited by HillsideDepot
Photos re-instated after Dediserve debacle
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob. No nothing lined up at the moment, and actually it's not operational at the moment. When it was last set up I realised that the original design meant that the fiddle yard traverser was wider than the scenic section, and free of the competition restriction I could add a few inches on the front to make it flush with the fiddle yard. While I have exhibited it in that format I decided it needed a bit more work, not least power points rather than wire in tube which worked on the original point, but was unreliable on the newer one, but also some new scenic to blend it all together. At some point I swapped Central for Mortimore's Yard on the layout room (I've only room for one set up at a time) and have been taking a long detour around the world of vac fitted freight. But, Central will return, possibly even to the exhibition circuit. 

In the meantime, on a warm summer's evening, as the sun begins to dip a class 47 arrives at Westonmouth Central light engine from Hillside Depot to pick up some parcel vans and head off into the night.

79928181_2009_03_22WmthCen_0089b.jpg.ddf84c38f0b9701a63465e7435f1a98a.jpg

Edited by HillsideDepot
  • Like 7

Is the first picture basically an "overall view"?  What are the dimensions (excluding fiddle yard) of the layout please?  I'm trying to come up with something similar but what I'm coming up with

just doesn't look right to me at the moment. whereas yours is more or less exactly what I am seeking to achieve.

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2015 at 16:41, cromptonnut said:

Is the first picture basically an "overall view"?  What are the dimensions (excluding fiddle yard) of the layout please?  I'm trying to come up with something similar but what I'm coming up with

just doesn't look right to me at the moment. whereas yours is more or less exactly what I am seeking to achieve.

The layout is 8' x 1' which was simply a "4 by 2" sheet of MDF cut down the middle. The fiddle yard is a traverser, which for simplicity was as long as a piece of C&L flexi track - 1m. This gave a scenic length of, would you believe, 4' 8 1/2"! Rather a long way to reach the answer you wanted, but until someone else asked a while back I had no idea that the scenic length was such a significant figure! 

Central_0026.JPG.4c955d231ecf04bc4128f19c8d5cdd25.JPG

This is the whole of the scenic section at DEMU Showcase.

Edited by HillsideDepot
  • Like 12

What you have in 4ft is amazing.  I've got 12ft to play with and just cannot get it right.  I'm probably trying to do too much in the space in all honesty as I usually do.

The concept I had in mind was the track at the end coming in from an angle, representing a 'different part' of the station from another line, a bit like the 3rd rail platforms at Reading alongside the main line platforms, as the self contained scene.

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant little layout, that's exactly the sort of look I want for "Stowbury". 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96920-stowbury/&do=findComment&comment=1811853

(Since posting that plan, I have decided to flip it so the fiddle yard exit is on the left. I may also add a crossover in for slightly more operational potential!)

• RMweb Premium
On 13/11/2015 at 15:59, Banger Blue said:

Brilliant little layout, that's exactly the sort of look I want for "Stowbury". 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96920-stowbury/&do=findComment&comment=1811853

(Since posting that plan, I have decided to flip it so the fiddle yard exit is on the left. I may also add a crossover in for slightly more operational potential!)

Thanks. Yes, Stowbury has its similarities. It's amazing how much operational potential Central has, and I'm sure Stowbury will be the same. It's run on DCC, and sometimes with two operators. So long as you coordinate the movement of the traverser two people can provide a good service while taking time at a show to talk to viewers. I remember at one show I'd brought empty stock into the main platform with an 08 and the other operator backed the train engine on. He then ran something in or out of the parcel depot or smaller platform before clearing the road for the passenger train, which then departed. I followed it down the platform with the 08, coming to a stand at the signal which he had replaced. And there the 08 sat for a while as moves were made on the other line. But for those few minutes, I was there, sitting in that 08, waiting for other moves to happen, waiting for the road before I could run back into the short platform and stable. Silly I know, but for an 8 foot layout I find it remarkably interesting to operate!

A visit to someone's office in the station building gave me the opportunity to get this shot out of the window on the top landing.

663822574_2009_03_22WmthCen_0118b.jpg.f8dae7060e4955961e9e3fee29ec936f.jpg

Edited by HillsideDepot
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Whilst the world and his wife (or so it seems) is at Warley, here are a few shots from the 1970s.

2009410690_2009_03_22WmthCen_0150b.jpg.2e2852b77cf2d6042d3b605ff29e9766.jpg

A class 50 stables buffer to buffer with a Peak, the throb of the English Electric engine contrasting with the thrum of the Sulzer unit.

Central_0001.jpg.c5d20c0c27c03ccce244b94d9368aa5c.jpg

Less exotic fair, a humble plain blue DMU departs.

Finally a question: how on earth will I fit the newly announced Rapido/Locomotion HSDT into a layout that is only 4 foot long? I rode on 252001, so it's always been a bit special to me, and having only just resisted APT-E I think this one will prove too much!

Edited by HillsideDepot
  • Like 8

Finally a question: how on earth will I fit the newly announced Rapido/Locomotion HSDT into a layout that is only 4 foot long? I rode on 252001, so it's always been a bit special to me, and having only just resisted APT-E I think this one will prove too much!

Just have one power car perhaps arriving on test andthen pull it of the layout with a 47. If they sell them in pairs then I would happily split a set with you Adrian as I only need one for Peafore yard.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Adrian, what a great start to the thread with some cracking pics in such a small space, it really does look a lot bigger than it is, well done and more pics please.

Thanks Andy. There are a few more photos to share, and then I'll set the layout up again and take some more.

Just have one power car perhaps arriving on test andthen pull it of the layout with a 47. If they sell them in pairs then I would happily split a set with you Adrian as I only need one for Peafore yard.

Thanks Rob, something to think about, and an offer I might take up once we see what Locomotion are offering.

• RMweb Premium

The majority of passenger trains using the bay platforms at Westonmouth Central are DMUs, but in the rush hours some loco hauled trains are scheduled. One such working arrived at platform 9 behind a class 25 which now rests on the blocks as the stock is drawn out by the Station Pilot. This is the Shunter's view from the rear drop light of the empty stock as he waits to direct the propelling move back into one of the middle roads. 

272616604_2009_03_22WmthCen_0126b.jpg.e5d2a04ed5ae0b6acfc8d1322d8395c9.jpg

Edited by HillsideDepot
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...