'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Evening guys...hope all are well...and if you've had a Bonfire Night 'do' it has gone with 'a bang'...!

You cannot imagine how happy I am this Saturday evening.....?   :imsohappy:  :sungum:  :locomotive:

Now then......I know I am a sad, old chap..... and also you'll probably have gleaned for yourself by now from reading through this (Cambrian Street) thread, that I am a somewhat 'strange' fellow......but you know the smallest things increasingly in life do make me so contented.....

After all the assistance and advice you kind guys have provided on every topic I've raised for advice.....I have tonight installed my first switched and isolated section on the layout.....the switch works, is soldered in and mounted on an albeit temporary board.....the power either on or off at the flick of the switch  :declare:!

I couldn't have  got to this without you kind guys.....

A huge thank you....!

Regards as always...Bob

:thankyou:  :friends:

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Evenin' All.....Hope all are in fine fettle...?

Thought I'd keep you up to date on proceedings this evening.....

Have installed another two isolated sections.....I am quite amazed that I have managed to achieve what is to me a huge step forwards - (as I am a bit thick, if not solid 'north of the neck') .....something which perhaps to many may seem to be a simple task where wiring is concerned...but is so pleasing to report that it works....!

I am posting a couple of images of where on the layout I am talking about and the switches in question, again it may not be to the high standards that some of the guys on here would see as 'correct', but it works for me and I am happy that it does the job and is safe from a wiring point of view.....it certainly may not look aesthetically perfect at all....so I hope that you'll understand....?

The isolated sections installed are marked here as 'A' 'B' 'C' respectively....the next two in sequence marked as x1 and x2.....

post-20610-0-51319800-1510009984_thumb.jpg

each sections power controlled from these switches respectively.....

post-20610-0-76459400-1510009835_thumb.jpg

fed by the controller beside it.....

post-20610-0-24241200-1510009880_thumb.jpg

as an aside.....here is the 'buffer stop' end of the adjacent platform for local / auto train and link through to platform 3.....

post-20610-0-77486900-1510010049_thumb.jpg

Will update you kind guys as progress made on further sections....and may begin a test piece of track for ballasting and then for real in the sidings/ head shunts....keeping away from any points and where it is the intention to install wire in tube control for throwing said points....?

Take care and with kindest regards as always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening Guys..Whilst my tea is cooking... thought I'd pose a question that is turning over in my mind......that you kind guys may like to chip in with answers or comments.....

It has always been the intention to use mercontrol tube in wire system for throwing the points, replicating a system that I recall we used all those years ago when I was a bubber with the family layout.....and continues to be the prefered system as the points are down and other than using 'the hand of god' Mercontrol can be installed relatively easily....

I have read various articles about connecting the wire to the tie bar......but these rather vague......I recall that we replicated the point rodding by using a very small crimped electrical connector that was soldered or glued to the wire, the ring connector fitting neatly over 'the pip' of the tie bar, held in place with a smidgen of glue, everything painted black to camouflage this a little...?

Have a couple of old points which will act as a test bed before hand.....

Comments guys....

Regards as always...

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening Guys.....

As always, hope that all are well and the week has gone well for you....?

Just an update and a question this evening ( which I have also posted on the Warley Exhibition forum).......

The update is to (just) say that this evening another two switched sections were installed within the station limits (and look successful too).......so however albeit slowly, 'we' progress perhaps...?

The question posed is in relation to my previous post above (356)...and ask if anyone advise if there is likely to be an exhibitor stand that will have supplies or demonstration for the Mercontrol manual point system.....?

Have a great weekend my friends.....

Regards as always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Or a simple on  / off switch Bob.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Just like a light switch

Hi...

I know that this is perhaps a strange question...but....?

Have I had  'a senior moment' when wondered whether I was doing something incorrect here  ?

......The switches I am using are simple on / off toggles with only two lugs....one marked 'off' at the top the other obviously 'on' at the base.....I am bringing a connection from the bus wire to the switch then onward to the section rail to create the required 'break' or switch in the feed wire.....is the wire coming off the bus feed soldered to the top 'off ' lug...... with  the following section wire onward to the rail soldered to  the 'on' base lug 

.....or should it be t'other way around...?

All seems to work ok with the  way I have done it so far.....?

Sorry for being 'thick' !

Regards as always...

Bob

post-20610-0-15610200-1510407894.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that ‘off’ and ‘on’ refer to the toggle: when it is towards ‘on’ the two terminals are connected together, when ‘off’ they are isolated from each other. It doesn’t matter which terminal you use for th3 bus wire and which one goes to the rail.

Paul.

• Agree 1

Evening...

The areas marked with red....are the switched sections 'currently' wired up.....all seem okay and are either isolated or working as required......

All the way through this layout..I am not striving for perfection, in any aspect of its construction, whether design, track laying wiring or in the scenic stages to follow in the middle to distant future hopefully, such perfection which is beyond my capabilities and always will be.....but more over trying to gain experience, recognise the mistakes and pitfalls along the way, for perhaps a further layout when I've retired and living on the Cambrian Coast...!

Intend to enjoy the journey !

Regards as always.....

Bob

post-20610-0-10560000-1510440178_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening guys...

....have been preliminarily mapping out the dimensions of platforms, where they are straight, leaving a standard modelling clearance of 11mm between rail centres and the edge of the platform......the width of the local 4 and 5 works out at 90mm wide, platforms 2 and 3 are measuring up as 100mm wide.....they then both taper and curve slightly towards the station throat.....these profile to be mapped out using the customary method of paper templates, the two respective halves when ready matched up together to form the complete platform hopefully, any tweaks done with a hand sander.....planning to have a round brick rather than a slabbed (overhang) edge....

also have been playing with the isolated sections......

have had fun.....moving waggons and trucks about the sidings, testing each section, switch and associated points.....

cos' as they say  ' I'm only happy when I'm shunting'

Regards as always....

bob

post-20610-0-86168300-1510611457_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening Guys.....

Just a message (to keep you up to speed on even the minor details, as I wish to note everything (good or bad) that I do on here, even if it is to lay my pitfalls open to all, which may be beneficial to all that may read this)....I have received another batch of simple 'on / off ' switches today, so I can continue the installation of isolated sections and when....intended to be the main station platforms 1 and 2....followed by the goods yard...

Hope to have the initial straight sections of platform cut from the mdf sheet during this coming Thursday when a band saw will be available to use....will post if and when this materialises....

Regards as always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening Guys....Final posting for tonight.....

Have spent an hour or so....connecting a further batch of droppers to the common return beneath the boards so nothing 'visible' there to see.....however....the following image may hopefully cast some light on the intended platform positioning and shaping of each, if the image is good enough.....clearance standard 00 (11mm) from rail centre to edge of round brick platform, no slab overhang....marked in black hatching

Have indicated too where the main signal box is to be positioned on the 'up' end of platform one, and the adjacent signalman's boarded crossing linking to platform 2....each platform designed to be 'square end (no ramp but step access) - spear top (gated) fencing for passenger safety.....

Regards as always....

Bob

post-20610-0-28462100-1510698286_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

A big vote of thanks required to all the admin team for getting the site up and running after its server problems, much of the hard work keeping the site running smoothly, safe and secure goes unnoticed and 'unsung'........so well done lads....

Much appreciated....

Regards

Bob

• Like 1

Evening Guys....Hope all are tickety boo....?

The next set of images that I will be posting (hopefully later tonight or maybe tomorrow) will be done so with great trepidation...........

I have made a first attempt to make a curve platform section for Cambrian Streets main No.1.......I can see now why everyone said that curved platforms are ' nightmare'......I hope that I can 'live with the result'......there will be a requirement for some sanding to smooth the curve and it does look okay..... it is just that when the longest coach is on the curve obviously there is a greater 'gap' between the door anf the edge but that is quite probably normal,,,,hence 'mind the gap'....probably.....?

So once loaded up. please comment and advise.....I will add my own comment too.....

Regards as always....

Bob

• Like 2

Evening....

Here goes will post images first the comment at a future stage......but your input is always appreciated....

post-20610-0-52144300-1510868492_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-75841100-1510868686_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-50246700-1510868770_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-37610600-1510868832_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-49189400-1510868899_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-66595600-1510868999_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-98281200-1510869091_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-81475400-1510869199_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-98365400-1510869302_thumb.jpg

Regards as always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Not bad, Bob, Not bad ! 

Careful positioning of the rake so that a coupling stops at the mid point of the curve would further reduce the 'apparent' gap at the doors, as the opposite end of the coaches either side of the coupling would be on straighter track, thereby lessening the associated angles a little. Give it a try, you'll see what I mean !

I think that is a job well done, and once all the buildings and canopies (if any) are in place it will be far less noticeable.  Definitely better than my last effort !

• Like 1

Looking good Bob!

How do you find the slips? I have thought about them for my layout ideas but my concern is some of my Bachman locos and br mk1s-any issues?

Hi...Thanks for the kind comments....haven't encountered any issues (as yet) with any slips, either single or double, save for...and it is a problem of my own making where a slip is followed by a set track curve to save space, there is a slight 'wiggle' when my smaller wagons run through as a set...?

Regard as always

Bob

• Like 1

Hi...Thanks for the kind comments....haven't encountered any issues (as yet) with any slips, either single or double, save for...and it is a problem of my own making where a slip is followed by a set track curve to save space, there is a slight 'wiggle' when my smaller wagons run through as a set...?

Regard as always

Bob

Thanks Bob :)

Not bad, Bob, Not bad ! 

Careful positioning of the rake so that a coupling stops at the mid point of the curve would further reduce the 'apparent' gap at the doors, as the opposite end of the coaches either side of the coupling would be on straighter track, thereby lessening the associated angles a little. Give it a try, you'll see what I mean !

I think that is a job well done, and once all the buildings and canopies (if any) are in place it will be far less noticeable.  Definitely better than my last effort !

Thanks for the kind comment, all this feedback is very much appreciated.....

This layout is my first venture back into the hobby after some 40 years.....so it is very much a 'learning curve' if you'll forgive the platform pun...!

I obtained the curve using a slightly different to the usual paper template method,  in that as the track set up was being made from a large Peco right hand with straight track on either toe, I replicated this using spare track / point on the mdf, then using the standard 11mm gap from rail centre as minimum clearance measured and marked with dots to the required curve, drawing a line through each to make a smooth'ish curve....a band saw being used as carefully as possible to follow the line....some sanding will be required to further smooth the edge....

Also will be removing the cork base....

Maybe the incorrect method but I can basically live with it....(for now anyway)...

Regards as always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Round of applause 1

Evening All.....

Hope all are okay and well......

Just a few further images for all to digest and comment upon please....

Have spent an hour or so tweaking the track alignment within the station slightly.....

and with further sanding required have fashioned roughly the local platform and indicated something which I hadn't previously considered, namely a ramp on the end of 2 and 3....?

The curve on the main looks reasonable after the tweaking of the roads into 1 an 2.....further sanding required to smooth.....

Regards as always to all...Have a great weekend....

Bob

post-20610-0-19141900-1510955415_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-15566700-1510955568_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-54032400-1510955635_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-98727200-1510955764_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-82373600-1510955832_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-77498200-1510955991_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-88850200-1510956054_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening All......

Just an update.....

The section that had had its wires threaded through beneath the baseboards have been all connected up and appear to be working okay.....a further section (the next in sequence to be wired up) has had its wires threaded through beneath the baseboards in readiness for the whole processes to be repeated (ad nauseum some may say)....so bit by repetitive bit, 'we' move forwards guys.....

Take care all and kindest regards......

Bob 

• Like 2

Hi Guys....

Another section wired and switched...the next in sequence threaded in readiness...another one bites the 'solder'....!

Regards as always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2