'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi Bob,

Just a quick thought. Does the wall alongside the siding need to be quite so close to the track? Maybe just the photo but clearance looks a bit tight perhaps?

Mike

Hi...You are correct, it does look as there is a tightish clearance on the photo..... it is actually 20mm from wall to nearest rail (5' in scale..?) ...I could use just brick paper which would reduce the tightness somewhat as an alternative but loose some atmosphere in the process perhaps...?

Regards always......Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi Hope all are okay...?

An update with reference to the most recent posting regarding the clearance between the intended retaining wall and nearest rail.....this equates to 4 and a half feet when measured with a 00 scale rule.....hoping that this is sufficient.....looks okay....?

post-20610-0-44035800-1529091950_thumb.jpg

Regards as always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob.

According to the MOT clearance diagram the min distance from a structure to the outside face of stock is 2' 4". However the clearances are for overhead electrical equipment and the diagram is not dated so I don't know how accurate the info is for a wall to rail clearance. I have another diagram somewhere in the railway room but Kimmy has gone to bed and I don't want to wake her as it's next to our bedroom so I'll have a look for it tomorrow for you.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1

Hi Hope all are okay...?

An update with reference to the most recent posting regarding the clearance between the intended retaining wall and nearest rail.....this equates to 4 and a half feet when measured with a 00 scale rule.....hoping that this is sufficient.....looks okay....?

attachicon.gif102_1952.JPG

Regards as always...

Bob

Not sure if it would help but I have this in my file folder that I got from somewhere ages ago :)  Looks to me that if you treat it as a wall, then you might just get away with it assuming all your stock fits within the loading gauge.    Of course the ultimate test is..  if nothing hits it, then you have clearance :)

post-30761-0-58577400-1529111934.jpg

Edited by xModellerx
  • Like 1

Hi..

It is fortuitous that this is intended to be a short non-passenger, ('kip') siding, no one would have their head 'taken off' sticking it out out an open window!

Have a great weekend.....

Regards as always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi...

From the track centre to the edge of the retaining wall measures 28mm which looks to be just the minimum clearance according to the above diagram.....?

Regards always,

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Guys.....

Hope your weekend has gone well...?

Just for info....this is how the finished clearances will work out and I'll be happy to live with...hope you can too...?

post-20610-0-02899200-1529270451_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-39530200-1529270471_thumb.jpg

Regards always guys.....

Bob

post-20610-0-02899200-1529270451_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-39530200-1529270471_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Evening guys......Hope all's well with you and yours....?

Just a quick update to say that the next scenic wall edge has been applied......and have tested the 'look' of the retaining walls which remain in their raw state ahead of painting and weathering, which I shall research through this site for advice......

......here are few images of the state of play......

post-20610-0-70166800-1529352467_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-11134600-1529353130_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-41619700-1529353266_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-19313600-1529353467_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-05669600-1529353613_thumb.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 5

Hi.....

Could anyone recommend suitable (off the shelf)  'cobblestone' road surfaces that are available for the coal yard hardstanding I am contemplating.....?

Cheers guys...

Regards always...

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob.

The best I know of was an etched brass product but I have no idea who produced it. The next best was a card effort by the guy who also did the brick sheets and scale 4 track who's name I can't recall for sure but Bernard Weller rings a bell,  I believe he passed on but his products live on I just can't remember who took it over, the brick sheets are still available so I assume the cobbles are too. Wills do a sheet of both setts and cobbles but they are very over scale. The best way I know of is to roll out some air dry clay and pull the bristles out of an appropriately sized paint brush and push it into the clay before it dries. Someone on here did it this way and it looks great.

Regards Lez.   

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1

Hi Guys 

Cheers for the input....

Found this on Haymarket 64B forum

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2018/post-6557-0-74112100-1528111840.jpg

May 'accept' the over scale aspect....of wills if suitable on examining at the product...as the area I intend to use it on is quite small....

Have also, I think, seen somewhere on here Lez, the impressed (with the 'bare brush' end clay) technique you mentioned....will search the site

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi

These two sets look suitable to myself....what do you kind guys think...?

post-20610-0-22667800-1529517209.jpg

post-20610-0-79182800-1529517226.jpg

One square set...one cobbles...?

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 1

Hi....

Just a quick update on this evening's proceedings prior to going to meet Mr Sandman for tonight !

Here are few images of the coal yard.....

the white paper areas are where the hard standing / cobbled surfaces are intended to be set....the ballasted area is the main coal yard......the darker cinder infilled siding being the smaller private yard, both as was common practice I believe, filled to rail level......weathering and 'grime' to be added along with infrastructure later.....

post-20610-0-21592400-1529533890_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-47575000-1529533936_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-44551400-1529533990_thumb.jpg

Regards as always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You know what Bob? I would go with the uneven setts for your cobbled surface in the coal yard mate I think it looks better than the one in good condition. It's a coal yard how much maintenance would it have got? Not very much I would suggest. I think this one would look better. It's out of stock ATM but you can pre-order it

106806_stone_setts_uneven_dark_grey_redu

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

Evening all.....

Just for the record...here's the update for tonight.....nothing too great but a small step......

Screwed into place the rear scenic break.....

......then filled with loose medium, the remaining open areas left when initially ballasted, this additional ballast to be 'fixed' into place soon and weathered thereafter, and finally to provide an impression of what the area / wall may look like when completed, the retaining wall was temporarily dropped into place....

post-20610-0-97795600-1529615944_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-37404000-1529616170_thumb.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

You know what Bob? I would go with the uneven setts for your cobbled surface in the coal yard mate I think it looks better than the one in good condition. It's a coal yard how much maintenance would it have got? Not very much I would suggest. I think this one would look better. It's out of stock ATM but you can pre-order it

106806_stone_setts_uneven_dark_grey_redu

Regards Lez.

Cheers Lez...

Have subscribed to the 'back in stock' email facility.....

Regards always...

Bob

The Coalyard on my Fiddlers Yard Layout Bob.

attachicon.gifSecurity fence fitted 005.JPG

attachicon.gifCoal Yard and Wagons 015.JPG

Hi Andy...

That looks great...full of atmosphere....also I like the way you have your coal bins positioned away from the rails...so many times I've seen them on layouts backed up against the tracks, which I think just doesn't look correct....?

Cheers and kindest regards as always....

Bob

• Like 1