Cobalt ip digital

theflyingspanner

Anyone had problems with the cobalt IP digital point motors 

i have 5 that keep loosing their addresses after i power off and power on the next day

I have tried giving them all different addresses but still have the same problem

Thank You 

Alan

Edited by theflyingspanner

• RMweb Gold

Is this a sudden change or happened since you first programmed? Only thing I can think of at the moment is did you put the switch back to normal, from set, after programming? Not had an issue with mine and they are powered up and down regularly.

Edited by PaulRhB

Is this a sudden change or happened since you first programmed? Only thing I can think of at the moment is did you put the switch back to normal, from set, after programming? Not had an issue with mine and they are powered up and down regularly.

yes the switches were put back to run

What are they powered from? Is the power doing something nasty during power up or power down?

If you are powering from the DCC bus then try an isolating switch in the power feed and wait a few moments after powering up the system, before closing the switch to power the point motors. 

Cobalt IP digital

Ok I know the rumour that IP stands for idiot proof. But it has beaten me!

As I understand it no accessory decoder is required, unlike my older analogue Cobalts for which I use Digitrax DS64

I am using Digitrax with the DCS100 and DT402 and Peco live frog points wired as recommended.

So I connect terminal 1 on the Cobalt to RailA and terminal 2 to RailB. To terminal 3 I connect the Frog. Now I switch on the power on the Digitrax, press SWCH, enter 198 and try to throw the point using the usual t and c buttons. But nothing happens. Same if I try 199 or 197.

Help please.

If I add a 12V auxiliary power bus as I do for my DS64, which terminals do I use?

Or do I go back to analogue point motors (Cobalt and Peco) with a DS64?

Any advice gratefully received.

• RMweb Gold

Cobalt IP digital

Ok I know the rumour that IP stands for idiot proof. But it has beaten me!

As I understand it no accessory decoder is required, unlike my older analogue Cobalts for which I use Digitrax DS64

I am using Digitrax with the DCS100 and DT402 and Peco live frog points wired as recommended.

So I connect terminal 1 on the Cobalt to RailA and terminal 2 to RailB. To terminal 3 I connect the Frog. Now I switch on the power on the Digitrax, press SWCH, enter 198 and try to throw the point using the usual t and c buttons. But nothing happens. Same if I try 199 or 197.

Help please.

If I add a 12V auxiliary power bus as I do for my DS64, which terminals do I use?

Or do I go back to analogue point motors (Cobalt and Peco) with a DS64?

Any advice gratefully received.

I might be wrong here, but aren't 197/8/9 used for self-centring? I thought you had to allocate a different address before trying to operate the motor. I'm not sure, because I haven't got this type of Cobalt.

I have used cobalt digitalis on my last four layouts. ( re used ) I like the idea behind them, the easy connections, the positive throw, the ease of installation, and the simple programming.

I don't like the unexplained loss of address which can and has on numerous occasions occured following a short. I manage to pre test my layout befor a show, dismantle it, transport it, set it up and, wham, it is the norm for one or more to have failed.

This has occurred this weekend at a show and has been very frustrating, I managed to remove and swap one motor,but a second is just dead.

On a positive note, the frequent over stressing of the cogs that resulted in a continual ratcheting of the Motor is easily cured with the replacement of a cog that comes in the post from Australia after a week or so, which you fit yourself.

My next layout will have solenoids and a CDU.

I might be wrong here, but aren't 197/8/9 used for self-centring? I thought you had to allocate a different address before trying to operate the motor. I'm not sure, because I haven't got this type of Cobalt.

197, 198 and 199 are used to set or remove self centering and swapping to reverse the normally thrown position to the opposite end.

Set address number to any required, but don't use 197 198 of 199. You can use any other address number between 1 and 2049. Don't forget to turn the switch back to 'Run' once programmed.

It's always worth fitting Bus filters to the Bus pair feeding the DCC as these help reduce the spikes caused by short circuits and may well prevent decoder resets.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

I had a similar issue with those motors and the instructions are not very clear.

To get the motor to learn an address flick the switch to 'set', press SWCH, enter the address you want it to learn and hit t and c a couple of times. The motor will not move. There is no indication that it's worked. Flip the switch to 'run' (you dot have to cycle power despite what the instructions say) and hitting t and c will actually operate the motor.

If you want to turn auto centering on do the above procedure but use 199 as the address. To turn auto centering off use 198. In both those cases you do need to turn track power off and then on in order to confirm its worked. The motor does not lose its actual address when you do that (assuming you had set one).

I had a similar issue with those motors and the instructions are not very clear.

To get the motor to learn an address flick the switch to 'set', press SWCH, enter the address you want it to learn and hit t and c a couple of times. The motor will not move. There is no indication that it's worked. Flip the switch to 'run' (you dot have to cycle power despite what the instructions say) and hitting t and c will actually operate the motor.

If you want to turn auto centering on do the above procedure but use 199 as the address. To turn auto centering off use 198. In both those cases you do need to turn track power off and then on in order to confirm its worked. The motor does not lose its actual address when you do that (assuming you had set one).

Sorry to be slow but where is the switch to flick to "set"? On the Cobalt (if so where?) or on the 402?

I am typing this away from the layout so I hope I am not missing the really obvious !

• RMweb Gold

Switch is on the bottom by the wiring terminals.

I've not had the address issue on mine even with shorts and by the description of the gearing problem I think those were the early cobalts which was sorted with V2 and the IP versions.

post-6968-0-83664300-1448272736.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Here's a copy of the post I made when I figured out programming with an NCE controller.

One thing that did rear it's head in programming the Cobalt ip motors was that the instructions are a little vague on the programming saying follow the instructions for your system to set the address,

http://www.dccconcepts.com/vamr/owners-manual-cobalt-ip-digital-point-motors

What would have been helpful was it saying put the switch to set and then use the address as though you were going to change the point and it will learn it when you select it.

NCE - to program cobaltip address

(1st to deactivate auto centre using 198)

Connect dcc input

Put switch to SET

SELECT ACCY - 198 - ENTER - 1

Disconnect dcc input

Put switch to NORMAL

Connect dcc input

Put switch to SET

SELECT ACCY - ADDRESS NO. - ENTER - 1

Disconnect dcc input

Put switch to NORMAL

Connect dcc input

• Like 1

Switch is on the bottom by the wiring terminals.

I've not had the address issue on mine even with shorts and by the description of the gearing problem I think those were the early cobalts which was sorted with V2 and the IP versions.

Agreed, I've just had a batch of 12 cobalt IP digitals delivered and I don't see any issues with shorts or gearing. And believe me there have been plenty of shorts.

For £15 you get a combined slow motion motor and decoder and frog juicer and a spare SPDT switch. Of course their long term reliability is yet to be established but I think they are worth a punt.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've got a friend using the V2 of the non digital ones and they've been used heavily without issues which convinced me to try the Ip version after being a Tortoise devotee. Another friend who has had tortoises on his heavily used layout has found after over 10 years a couple of the heaviest used have failed as the plastic case has cracked allowing the gears to jump. The case cracked where the slider stalls against it so it's been slowly fatigued by it. Still we think they are 15 years old so pretty good as the layout is run most days and often for hours.

• Like 2

Sorry to be slow but where is the switch to flick to "set"? On the Cobalt (if so where?) or on the 402?

I am typing this away from the layout so I hope I am not missing the really obvious !

I posted this little video a few weeks ago showing the setting up of the Cobalt ip Digital with both a NCE PowerCab and a MRC Prodigy Advanced. Which may be of help and the switch is shown in all set ups...  

• Round of applause 1

There is an issue with some older DCC control software where the number is offset by 5, this is a known issue with Lenz and Z21, the software needs to be updated to get rid of the issue, so address 1 => 5, 2 => 6 etc, so everything might still be working perfectly, its just the numbers need shifting up by 5 to make them work. It worked on several layouts I have built, although you do need to reprogram them all if you upgrade the DCC controller software.  Hope this helps

Edited by phoenix160

Brian I have now viewed your video clip. Impressive. Especially ideal viewing if you have Prodigy.

I am a little further forward with my Digitrax. The self cantering turns on and off at addresses 198 and 199. So obviously the signal is getting through. But my Cobalt seems to have a learning disability! I have tried setting then running another number (40) but it does not react. I presume I have made an error on the 402. Tried switching off power and starting again but no luck.

Any Digitrax users out there got any thoughts? I am following p81-83 in Super Chief manual but it is 10 years old.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1. put the switch to 'set' (away from the motor chassis)

2. press SWCH and key in address 40

3. press 'c' and 't' a couple of times (there will be no reaction)

4. put the switch to 'run' (back towards the motor chassis)

5. press 'c' or 't' and the motor will react

I've just done that exact procedure on a batch of 12 cobalt ip digitals and it worked every time. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here's a copy of the post I made when I figured out programming with an NCE controller.

One thing that did rear it's head in programming the Cobalt ip motors was that the instructions are a little vague on the programming saying follow the instructions for your system to set the address,

http://www.dccconcepts.com/vamr/owners-manual-cobalt-ip-digital-point-motors

What would have been helpful was it saying put the switch to set and then use the address as though you were going to change the point and it will learn it when you select it.

NCE - to program cobaltip address

(1st to deactivate auto centre using 198)

Connect dcc input

Put switch to SET

Disconnect dcc input

Put switch to NORMAL

Connect dcc input

Put switch to SET

Disconnect dcc input

Put switch to NORMAL

Connect dcc input

There is an issue with some older DCC control software where the number is offset by 5, this is a known issue with Lenz and Z21, the software needs to be updated to get rid of the issue, so address 1 => 5, 2 => 6 etc, so everything might still be working perfectly, its just the numbers need shifting up by 5 to make them work. It worked on several layouts I have built, although you do need to reprogram them all if you upgrade the DCC controller software.  Hope this helps

Just bought a few and my DCC system is a Roco Multimaus which has an offset to its point controls by 1 bit - a ESU Switchpilot is always 4 more than its programmed setting and a Lenz LS150 6 more (unless you manually program it) so has anyone experienced programming a digital Cobalt with a Multimaus?

I am presuming 198 is 197 on the Multimaus, does the Cobalt lose is centrering immediately  the power is restored or does it wait until being switched after being programmed with its actual address?