ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Here is a picture of the Scalescenes church I am currently making. The kit is OO gauge, reduced to 75% when printed. Its for my OO gauge layout "Jencaster". I used the 3mm/ft scale as the church will go at the back of the layout and the idea is to give a bit of perspective. I also have the Scalescenes farm building kit which will also be 3mm/ft. I have yet to apply the tin-foil lead flashing, matt cote/matt varnish and weathering before placing the model on the layout surrounded by a churchyard and dry-stone wall. I have installed 2 x 3mm Warm White LED light bulbs from www.micro-miniatures.co.uk as well to highlight the stained glass windows. The windows were printed on OHP Transparent film as per the instructions. They came out quite nice, but the frames were a little blue, rather than black. Probably an issue with a cheap inkjet printer and ink rather than anything else.

post-21193-0-61461400-1448026146_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 8

Here is a picture of the Scalescenes church I am currently making. The kit is OO gauge, reduced to 75% when printed. Its for my OO gauge layout "Jencaster". I used the 3mm/ft scale as the church will go at the back of the layout and the idea is to give a bit of perspective. I also have the Scalescenes farm building kit which will also be 3mm/ft. I have yet to apply the tin-foil lead flashing, matt cote/matt varnish and weathering before placing the model on the layout surrounded by a churchyard and dry-stone wall. I have installed 2 x 3mm Warm White LED light bulbs from www.micro-miniatures.co.uk as well to highlight the stained glass windows. The windows were printed on OHP Transparent film as per the instructions. They came out quite nice, but the frames were a little blue, rather than black. Probably an issue with a cheap inkjet printer and ink rather than anything else.

post-254-0-69930500-1448056678.jpg

My version in plasticard using Scalescenes as master drawing

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very nice indeed Richard. The relief detail really does make a difference. I did the same for the medium station. As the church is going at the very back of the layout, fairly obscured, I didn't feel the need to use the plasticard for the extra detail.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here is the completed church set in the scenery ready for details to be added such as headstones, static grass etc. The walling is 2mm card laminated between styrene embossed plastic sheet, topped with 3.2mm half round styrene sheets for the coping stones. I will post more pics as I add the detail. I have also completed the farmhouse and barn.

post-21193-0-92533800-1451481327_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-17073100-1451481362_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-86459500-1451481380_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I picked up on this in your layout thread.  I am interested to learn that you produced it at 3mm scale; the size and perspective works perfectly, so clearly the right choice.

Not all card kit built structures are equal, but you have done the kit proud. 

The atmosphere of the brooding Pennine Hills is evident!

• RMweb Gold

You are too kind Sir. I have to say your adaptions, modifications and use of the Scalescenes kits and papers as a basis for your models are extremely good. Pats on the back all round!!! The 3mm downscaling was simple enough by reducing the print to 75%. However, as I have mentioned before in other threads, card thickness did create an issue. In the 4mm kit, use of 2mm and 1mm card was ok. When I reduced it to 3mm, the thickness of the card caused problems when the pieces were joined together. I soon got over it by trimming the floors, roof etc at the installation phase.

I'm going the other way, and scaling them up to 7mm. I find it's useful to build it in 4mm first, so I know how it all goes together, and where any quirky bits are. It's lucky that I need 4mm versions too, but for different layouts rather than forced perspective.

The great advantage is that you can build with these kits and textures in any size.  I have seen O gauge layouts using 4mm scale buildings in the background, OO gauge using 2mm in the background and so forth. With downloadable stuff, you are not limited to a proprietary scale.  The printer driver I have lets me choose the percentage size.  So, cottage backs at 90% of scale are no problem, and I have a street in which the houses are getting progressively larger as they come towards the viewer.

The rear of your layout is not only great in itself, but works as a superb 3D back-scene for the front boards with the station; well, it's the wide open spaces of the Pennines after all!

And the quality of Scalescenes kits is good enough for full size 7mm scale. I'm just not looking forward to hiding the joins where I've printed elements of them that are bigger than A4 size, on A4 paper! I don't think any of the layouts I'm working on are big enough for any forced perspective unfortunately.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought I would update the pics showing the church with lights on at last. Pics like this can be cruel and show up little areas of error! Light bleeding through under the roof line and the peeling strips of paper slate tiles are two things I need to fix!!

post-21193-0-96272200-1521476305_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-33884500-1521476339_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-78403500-1521476375_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 5