Heljan O Gauge 05

two tone green

I wonder if they might enlarge the centre boss of the wheel a bit, as it's a bit too delicate, making the spokes appear a little long.... Could be rectified with Milliput if necessary though... (It may be that the balance weights are a touch fine)

All in all, it looks very nice!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am looking forward to the forthcoming 05 and in particular for me the 03 - this being Heljan's first shunting loco in O guage - I do hope these run as superbly as the Dapol 08 as controlability is so important with such a shuinting loco - I don't suppose anyone has had a chance to try one/seen an early production one running???.....Brian???? Fingers crossed they get it right....

It has been a while since an update - I presume progress is being made in the background......??

• RMweb Premium

The Heljan 05 still feels like an expensive loco compared to the 08, I wonder what th advance orders look like, possibly there will be special offers after a year or so.

Dava

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Heljan 05s are expected 18 Sept according to Tower Models for £315 each. They looked very good at Guildex last weekend. I have a 48DS on order and no need for another 0-6-0 shunter just at present....

Dava

They would have better off with rerun of the Westerns or a 14

I wish them good luck with the 05 but it is the 03 I want (although with a flowerpot chimney - I think I've said before but it would have made sense to make the chimney interchangeable to increase sales - you never know they might listen to their customers - or Brian might get them on the case).

I think the 03 will sell better because it lasted much longer in traffic especially into BR Blue days. I will certainly have a couple assuming they do a good job - hopefully the slow speed running qualities will be up to those of the Dapol 08.

• Like 1

Ref. photos on Rails Sheffield website:  Is there still some confusion over the early  / late rear wasp stripes on green liveries, or is it just me who is confused?

I believe this might have arisen from a mix-up by Heljan in their initial announcement livery image release?

Why would the rear chevrons shown on the early version green be the same angle as on the late version blue, whereas the steep angled chevrons are shown as being late version green?

I still suspect the early version should be the 'unusual' steeply raked stripes, making the late green and late blue variants the same shallower angle.

Another well-known retailer appears to be showing what I believe to be the correct images.

But, as ever, if someone can demonstrate otherwise I'm prepared to eat my scribble!   :tomato:

Just trying to make sure everyone gets what they ask for.

10/10 to Rails for excellent decent-sized multi-angled photographs of these offerings on their website.

Edit:  Just found this useful reference to the steep angled rear stripes:  Post 177 of  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65792-hunslet-class-05/page-8

Edited by Osgood

Well - for what its worth I've spent most of the afternoon trawling through the 4mm 05 thread on here , and what a lot of information / links to more I've found!

My conclusion is that the 05s were built progressively between Jul 1956 and April 1961, with a batch D2574-D2585 (July 58 - April 59) going new to Scotland.

It seems that these Scottish locos were the only ones with steeper angled rear stripes, and came out between batches of shallower striped locos.

So presumably chevrons on all locos were applied by BR themselves after delivery?

Furthermore I've not found any evidence yet for the existence of 'early' or 'late' stripes.

Indeed Heljan's 4mm catalogue does not mention early / late, but the Scottish numbered example has the expected steeper chevrons, the other green numbered examples displaying the expected shallow chevron.

The main thing is to make sure you order the right one for your requirements, so for 7mm -

If you want steeper angled rear stripes it is Heljan code 2591, if you want shallower rear stripes it is Heljan code 2592.

Edited by Osgood

Having written the original article linked above, I feel I should qualify what Heljan have put for their '0' gauge 05's. When the original research was done for Heljan, to try and differentiate between the two styles of wasp stripes, one was labeled the earlier (flatter) style, and the other the later (pointier) style, basically because all the photo's I had suggester the flatter style was applied earlier than the other. However more photo's have come to light suggesting it was the other way around. I have found photos of loco's with the "later" (pointier) style of wasp stripes in 1962, with an all over green 05, which later had the "earlier" (flatter) style of wasp stripes applied. All very confusing. As all the Scottish 05's, D2574-85 all originally entered service in all over Green, it may well be the case that the different styles of wasp stripes was down to when/where they were painted on, rather than date applied. From my photo collection I have been able to put together the following list of which Heljan model for what loco, based on photos.

Heljan. 2591. Later variant wasp stripes. Locos known to have had them. D2576, D2581, D2582, D2584, D2585. It is possible D2577 had this style, but the photographic evidence is not conclusive. See link below for an example of this style of wasp stripe.

https://flic.kr/p/dwsyUr

Heljan. 2592. Earlier variant wasp stripes. Locos known to have had them. D2575, D2578, D2580. See below.

post-7146-0-07698400-1505755502_thumb.jpg

Of the 12 Scottish locos that the Heljan loco is modeled on, only D2574, D2579 and D2583 remain elusive as to what style of wasp stripes they had.

Hope this is of help when deciding which model to buy.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

They are well executed models but I suspect quite a lot of them will be sitting around surplus to requirements for a while like the prototypes.

Useful info on the livery options.

Dava

Most helpful Paul, thank you.

Given their comparative youth, I guess there is very little chance that any of the Scottish locos for which you have photographic evidence of flatter stripes (D2575, D2578, D2580) were originally painted with the pointier style, and subsequently repainted.

Looking at pictures it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish a 6 from an 8 - I just thought I'd found a pic of 2584 with flat stripes until I realised the location suggested it was more likely to be 2564!

Tony

Most helpful Paul, thank you.

Given their comparative youth, I guess there is very little chance that any of the Scottish locos for which you have photographic evidence of flatter stripes (D2575, D2578, D2580) were originally painted with the pointier style, and subsequently repainted.

Looking at pictures it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish a 6 from an 8 - I just thought I'd found a pic of 2584 with flat stripes until I realised the location suggested it was more likely to be 2564!

Tony

I can definitely confirm that D2578 only had one style of wasp stripes as only one was found when the loco was rubbed down and repainted. There are not enough photos of the class to prove yea or ney with regards to any others getting a wasp stripe repaint. Highly unlikely as it seems to be 1962 or later, but no later than 1964, that these locos received wasp stripes and all had been withdrawn within 5 years. All evidence points to the locos carrying whatever style of wasp stripe they had to withdrawal.

Paul J.