Locomotion announce prototype HST

Andy Y

HST_York.jpg

Image courtesy and copyright of NRM Archive.

High Speed Diesel Train (HSDT)

The Story continues

Locomotionmodels.com are pleased and proud to announce the production of the groundbreaking High Speed Diesel Train, with the power cars being later designated Class 41 and were the forerunners to the iconic HST.

Working in association with Rapido Trains Inc., Locomotionmodels.com have taken the opportunity at this years Warley Model Railway Exhibition to announce their intention to produce a ‘00’ model of the prototype High Speed Diesel Train as part of their continued plan to introduce collectable iconic motive power units that form the National Collection in Miniature.

Following on from the APT-E, of which production models can be seen on both the Rapido Trains Inc. and Locomotionmodels.com stand at the Warley Show, both brands are keen to use what many believe to be the high spot of the model railway exhibition season to announce the introduction of a ‘00’ scale model of the HSDT.

When asked about this latest Locomotionmodels.com exclusive, Brian Greenwood, Chairman of the Locomotion Management Board said, ”When we first sat down with the team from Rapido to discuss the introduction of the APT-E we all agreed that once the production of the APT-E had started we should move straight into the development of the Class 41 HSDT.  To us all sitting around the table it was obvious that one iconic train should follow the other and I am pleased that at last we can announce Phase 2 of our plans.’

Bill Schneider, Rapido’s Product Designer added, ‘Producing the APT-E for Locomotionmodels.com presented us with some special challenges which we were more than capable of overcoming.  As for the HSDT, this unit is a natural progression and we are most definitely excited about what we can build in to what we know will be an amazing model’.

The final make up of the HSDT train pack has as yet not been finalised, neither has the eventual retail price and delivery date, however all those interested in the project are encouraged to subscribe to the Locomotionmodels.com Newsletter and watch out for further announcements.

HST_Swindon.jpg

Image courtesy and copyright of NRM Archive.

Please wait for further details from Locomotion before making contact to order.
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased indeed :-)

Although not surprised. I have gathered a Grand Central dummy power car and Genesis Kits cabs in the last two months. That pretty much sealed the deal that it would be announced....

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Lets hope they offer an option of both power cars fitted with sound decoders with one unit starting up slightly after the other.

I've had all my Cl.43 power cars fitted (by Coastal DCC) with sound decoders in each power car - sounds just fantastic as the unit powers by. Keeping my fingers crossed that Locomotion will offer this option.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

A must for me. My first TV appearance was on BBC points west in 1975 when the prototype unit first arrived in Bristol.

Duffle bag and notebook in my teenage hands.

My Genesis-Lima conversion will be "recycled".

Neil

There is some history to this set. Briefly it (power cars) ran as a 41xxx series as 12 car set.

2 coaches were quickly (like 5 years later) stolen for the Royal Train and it was decided that this would be a DMU. So everything became 43xxx.

So you have:

The original 12 car set - 2 power cars, 4 TF, 4 TS, 1 TRSB, 1 TRUK

The later 10 car - as above but missing 1TF and 1TS

Then fast forward, 1 preserved power car

So options:

The preserved power car alone is an obvious candidate

Thereafter, do they sell full 10 or 12 car sets?

Or pairs of power cars with individual coaches?

Or 4 car pack (powered units plus TF and TS) with all other units sold separately? All at once or spread over say 3 years?

Assuming they do the last above. Do I buy the entire train or part of it? Then DCC sound option.... It's gonna be an expensive day!

There is some history to this set. Briefly it (power cars) ran as a 41xxx series as 12 car set.

2 coaches were quickly (like 5 years later) stolen for the Royal Train and it was decided that this would be a DMU. So everything became 43xxx.

So you have:

The original 12 car set - 2 power cars, 4 TF, 4 TS, 1 TRSB, 1 TRUK

The later 10 car - as above but missing 1TF and 1TS

Then fast forward, 1 preserved power car

So options:

The preserved power car alone is an obvious candidate

Thereafter, do they sell full 10 or 12 car sets?

Or pairs of power cars with individual coaches?

Or 4 car pack (powered units plus TF and TS) with all other units sold separately? All at once or spread over say 3 years?

Assuming they do the last above. Do I buy the entire train or part of it? Then DCC sound option.... It's gonna be an expensive day!

Informative/Useful and frightening!

Hello Richard

I think the HST must surely be classed as iconic- perhaps not the HST-P itself if that is what you mean, as outside of the industry and enthusiasts people probably do not know what it is.

As for Watford Gap services, when it was new people were coming from all over the Country for the novelty- it was quite a party scene, with live music etc. It was quite a social gathering point in its time.

The prototype HST is no more "iconic" than the Watford Gap service area - I know this is a press announcement but some proportion would help. Is this the power cars or a set?

- Richard.

Edited by Derekstuart
  • Like 1