MRJ 243

David Bigcheeseplant

Mr Lycett-Smith is an institution because of the sheer number of letters he appears to have sent into MRJ over the years (and possibly other railway modelling magazines as well) and which invariably get published.

I can't wait to read his obituary whenever that might be. Assuming I manage to live long enough. It's sure to be amusing.

• RMweb Gold

My memory is telling me that Mr. Trellis has photos of his layout (a Welsh GW branch line) published in one of the magazines (possibly even MRJ) in the past couple of years, but I can't find them at the moment.

I'd like to add another vote for him being a future guest editor. However, the only risk with that is that he would then have to write in to the next issue to comment on the issue he had just edited, and the resulting logical paradox would cause the universe to explode...

• RMweb Gold

"Dear You and Yours[/size]

I'm concerned about the poles I've got holding my washing line up. I think they might actually be Ukrainians. [/size]

Yours sincerely. [/size]

Mrs Trellis"[/size]

Your reputation for a huge number of posts with precisely nothing to say precedes you - I normally just ignore them. However, when you make an attempt to be humorous using ethnic or racial stereotypes...........

Mr Lycett-Smith does indeed appear to write a large numbers of letters. He does at least have something to say.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Your reputation for a huge number of posts with precisely nothing to say precedes you - I normally just ignore them. However, when you make an attempt to be humorous using ethnic or racial stereotypes...........

Mr Lycett-Smith does indeed appear to write a large numbers of letters. He does at least have something to say.

Jerry

I'm sure Horsetan is quite capable of defending himself, but I would just point out that "Pole" and "Ukrainian" are neither ethnic nor racial stereotypes, but are in fact descriptions of nationality; and the entire joke is based simply on a pun. Further, it is actually a quote from the BBC Radio 4 show "I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue" - and I don't recall any outcry from that most politically-correct of organisations.

• RMweb Gold

I'd imagine - although I don't know - that the journal editors are grateful for any sort of written feedback. John Allison used to have a letter in nearly every issue, and guess what, they were well-written and enjoyable, and I missed them when he died. I always read Mr Lycett-Smith's letters and generally find them useful and interesting. It's far too easy to take the p*ss out of people who actually take the time to write in.

Your reputation for a huge number of posts with precisely nothing to say precedes you - I normally just ignore them. However, when you make an attempt to be humorous using ethnic or racial stereotypes..............

Remind me never to have a sense of humour in your presence, since you don't have one either.

• RMweb Gold

Remind me never to have a sense of humour in your presence, since you don't have one either.

I have an excellent sense of humour as anyone who knows me will testify but the first rule of a joke is that it needs to be funny. My main point, far better made by Barry Ten, is that for someone who posts so frequently, usually about their local Smiths or some such - commenting on Roger Lycett-Smith's contributions to MRJ seems a bit rich.

Jerry

....an attempt to be humorous using ethnic or racial stereotypes....

...and a remarkable tendency to be outraged on behalf of others. Humour and satire has relied on poking fun at stereotypes for centuries. People have died - and died laughing - for it too. It's not going to change.

....the first rule of a joke is that it needs to be funny.

Fortunately you are not the sole arbiter of what is and isn't funny.

My main point, far better made by Barry Ten, is that for someone who posts so frequently, usually about their local Smiths or some such - commenting on Roger Lycett-Smith's contributions to MRJ seems a bit rich....

This forum is the next best thing to a stand-up comedy "open mic" session, with the odd bit of modelling attached.

Jerry

He also happens to be a skilled modeller too, and has had modelling articles published in MRJ on numerous occasions (including a recent article on station buildings IIRC).

Andy

• RMweb Premium

He also happens to be a skilled modeller too, and has had modelling articles published in MRJ on numerous occasions (including a recent article on station buildings IIRC).

Andy

In the previous issue in fact no less (no. 242), which makes one wonder how many people passing comment actually read the magazine.

• RMweb Premium

I new of a couple of blokes, one now sadly deceased, who wrote a whole years worth of letters to the editor, sending up some know it all. Each letter was signed by a different psuedonym, which if you put all the initial letters of each name spelled out who was on the receiving end of the send up. As far as I am aware the butt of the joke never realised what was going on.

My memory is telling me that Mr. Trellis has photos of his layout (a Welsh GW branch line) published in one of the magazines (possibly even MRJ) in the past couple of years, but I can't find them at the moment.

I'd like to add another vote for him being a future guest editor. However, the only risk with that is that he would then have to write in to the next issue to comment on the issue he had just edited, and the resulting logical paradox would cause the universe to explode...

His Layout, based on the Cambrian during the 1930s last appeared in number 242 and it is rather nice indeed. he might be a prolific writer but he has also has a number of modelling articles appear in MRJ. A number of people on here have had rather a lot of posts, but don't have a whole lot of modelling to show either. Glass houses etc.

Craig W

Jerry

"Dear You and Yours

I'm concerned about the poles I've got holding my washing line up. I think they might actually be Ukrainians.

Yours sincerely. 

Mrs Trellis"

I find this post disturbing and upsetting on several levels.

Are the poles, if indeed they are poles, being paid at the legal minimum rate?

Are the Ukrainians, if indeed they are actually Ukrainians, here legally with work permits or are they working illegally and undercutting the poles?

How can we in the modern welfare state allow Mrs Trellis to continue putting out her washing?

Let's put an end to austerity and hold a demonstration to demand that the government provide her with enough money to buy a tumble dryer.

MRJ 243 has reached Smiffs in Hemel and my subs copy has arrived and I very much like the twinset feature.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

The Sidmouth article is fantastic. Not that the others aren't, but it's a very nice layout beautifully photographed and described.

So agree.

Browsed MRJ this morning at WHS. Not a regular purchase for me but that Sidmouth layout makes it worth buying. One of those rare layouts where some of the photos could be of the real thing and they have given it great coverage.

Also a very full and useful article about construction of Easitrac 2mm turnouts.

• RMweb Gold

Also a very full and useful article about construction of Easitrac 2mm turnouts.

....and a very useful article by GG on the use of roller blind material for backscenes.

A small piece has been purchased for experimentation!

Archived