Farish GWR Castle Class

TomE

Les,

Very good quality indeed, but I don't know what you regard as cheap, are the ZIMO MX618N18 (non-sound) and MX658N18 (sound) decoders.

ESU have a Next 18 LokPilot and I think a LokSound micro

Kind regards,

Paul

I'm a fan of Zimo decoders, but not of their price. ESU I'm not that familiar with. I'm thinking more of a Next18 chip (silent) from Digitrax at their sort of prices.

Les

• RMweb Gold

I'd be amazed if Bachmann didn't have a version of their own decoder available with the next18 plug by the time this is available in the shops, but I would second Zimo decoders. They work very well with the new coreless motors, and with a bit of tweaking you can get outstanding slow running from them. 

Those latest photos in this thread also give a much better impression of everything being the correct shape, so I have no idea why in some photos it looks good, and in others it looks a bit out!  :scratchhead:

Tom. 

Those latest photos in this thread also give a much better impression of everything being the correct shape, so I have no idea why in some photos it looks good, and in others it looks a bit out!  :scratchhead:

Photos taken very close to a small subject sometimes get affected by distortion and odd perspectives. The "macro" function on a camera can only do so much. ;)

I'd be amazed if Bachmann didn't have a version of their own decoder available with the next18 plug by the time this is available in the shops, but I would second Zimo decoders. They work very well with the new coreless motors, and with a bit of tweaking you can get outstanding slow running from them. 

Tom. 

Sadly my experience with Bachmann chips has been so poor that if there is any alternative available I won't touch them.

Les

• 2 months later...

More photos of the latest decorated samples borrowed from the half-yearly announcements thread. Looks pretty good to me. How do people who were concerned about shape issues on the earlier EP samples feel about these shots?

post-1-0-22528700-1470245641.jpg

post-1-0-82643400-1470245642.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It looks better from these angles, the first time we've seen it as such. I think the reduced amount of light coming through between the bogie and the footplate in these shots makes a huge difference. 

Tom.  

I'm surprised at the slide bars - they have no relief at all, unlike the prototype - seem a bit spartan. I would hope these are just on the decor model and not all of them (anyone know?) - the old Castle had better!

Cheers,

Alan

The Castle seems to get better and better with every development (as you'd expect). Of the N gauge locos announced but not yet released this is the one I'm most eager to buy.

You and me both, I am just starting to convert to N Gauge from OO due to space (only got the Night mail set and a Graham Farish open wagon from the Bachmann Collectors CLub so far) but having seen the level of detail in these pics I am totally amazed by what can be done in such a small scale. Is this the first N Gauge model with a cab as detailed as that?

• RMweb Premium

Having looked closely at the enlarged photo, I am a little disappointed as to the black fill in section under the boiler where there should be a space. 

I'm surprised at the slide bars - they have no relief at all, unlike the prototype - seem a bit spartan. I would hope these are just on the decor model and not all of them (anyone know?) - the old Castle had better!

Cheers,

Alan

Slidebars on models are generally just pressed parts and much thinner than the real thing. Same applies to connecting and coupling rods as well

Chris 

Having looked closely at the enlarged photo, I am a little disappointed as to the black fill in section under the boiler where there should be a space. 

The Hornby 4mm model suffers from the same issue. Not sure if this is down to wnating to get some weight in, or whether there are gears concealed inside

Chris

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby 4mm model suffers from the same issue. Not sure if this is down to wnating to get some weight in, or whether there are gears concealed inside

Chris

I'm assuming that it's there to hide gears. 

Slidebars on models are generally just pressed parts and much thinner than the real thing. Same applies to connecting and coupling rods as well

Chris 

Maybe, but Farish managed relief on them in 1982 with the first Castle.....

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be a few more of the "current" Castle models on eBay at the moment. People seem to be trying to get rid of them whilst they have a reasonable resale value. 

The sound fitted one, is it BR or GWR livery?

Yes. :D

I believe it is being offered in the current preserved livery which is transitional in being late GWR livery but with "British Railways" on the tender as shown below.

f-12.jpg

Just had an email from Hattons that the RRP has been withdrawn by Bachmann so they will not honouring previous pre-order prices.

Not really surprising as this has been the way for a while now but it leaves me wondering how much this is finally going to cost when it hits the stores.

• RMweb Gold

I've had a Hatton's e-mail to say the sound fitted Nunney Castle is now expected between February & March 2017. No withdrawal of RRP on that one though, but only being announced earlier in the year I would think they have a better idea of costs now than when the model was originally announced. 

That said, if the standard version increases in price but the sound fitted version doesn't, it will make the latter seem like even more of a bargain! 

Tom. 

Just had an email from Hattons that the RRP has been withdrawn by Bachmann so they will not honouring previous pre-order prices.

Not really surprising as this has been the way for a while now but it leaves me wondering how much this is finally going to cost when it hits the stores.

Statement from Bachmann Europe Plc

The Recommended Retail Price for the Castle Class 4-6-0s remains unaltered.

The price for each item remains (as shown on the Farish section of our website)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You and me both, I am just starting to convert to N Gauge from OO due to space (only got the Night mail set and a Graham Farish open wagon from the Bachmann Collectors CLub so far) but having seen the level of detail in these pics I am totally amazed by what can be done in such a small scale. Is this the first N Gauge model with a cab as detailed as that?

No. The 4F, Duchess, Schools and Merchant Navy have detailed cabs. Not sure about any others though

Dave

• Like 1