Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

The classmate alongside 24009 looks (from the sideswipe cab damage) suspiciously like 24147; one of the locos which gained the headcode box "wings" which I mentioned in an earlier posting.

Kevin

Yes it was 24147, which gained the 25 style headcode boxes, minus the horn cowels, when it was still in green and had the corridor doors, as early as 1968.

Paul J.

Yes it was 24147, which gained the 25 style headcode boxes, minus the horn cowels, when it was still in green and had the corridor doors, as early as 1968.

Paul J.

I should have noticed from the name of the file lol!

One other thing to note is that 24009 (like a number of early members of the class) featured the additional headcode disc clips which it received for working on the Southern Region in its early days. Honestly, class 24s are a nightmare when it comes to detail differences.....

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Paul's excellent photo shows perfectly the centrally located headcode discs, the hallmark of the skinhead 24s allocated to the ScR. They were all early casualties, I well remember seeing lines of them at Kingmoor in November 1975, sadly missed a few as they were dispatched to Doncaster and cut up before I could get to see them. 24006 languished at Eastfield for a few months on retailing exercise duties.

Interestingly we passed through Carstairs on 9th April 1977 on a previously mentioned merrymaker , two days before Paul's photo and noted neither 24 009 or 147. They look pretty immobile so I'm sure they were there and were missed.

Neil

Paul's excellent photo shows perfectly the centrally located headcode discs, the hallmark of the skinhead 24s allocated to the ScR. They were all early casualties

24073 lasted until 1978.

Will need to ply the reference books.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/24073.html

March 1960 to Willesden (1A), on loan, made permanent April 1960. 

April 1966 to London Division (D01). 

December 1966 to Stoke Division (D05). 

October 1971 to Polmadie (66A).

March 1972 to Eastfield (65A). 

August 1975 - stored serviceable.

February 2nd 1976 - withdrawn.

February 1977 - unofficially reinstated to Crewe. 

September 1978 - withdrawn.

From the SLW Facebook page, 24 009, with Glasgow works plated end now approved for production.

This could well be my third SLW 24, I saw the prototype in the late 1970s pottering around at Waverley whilst waiting for the Merrimaker excursion to take us home to Bristol.

Neil

As much as the 24's are too early for me except 97201 (registered interest when announced and confirmed order on the day it hit the target) its great to see new variations being produced based on peoples wishes. Ive not got a SLW 24 yet but looking forward to my RTC one and future prototypes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Into my e-mail in tray has arrived an announcement of two new 24's from SLW. 

5099 Pre-TOPS (before May 1974) Allocated to 65A Glasgow Eastfield

and

24009 TOPS numbering (post June 1975) Allocated to Edinburgh Haymarket

Both have the "Glasgow" blanked off nose doors with centre headcode discs.

Paul J.
  • Like 1

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the buffers and couplings are being offered for sale as seperate items/spares. £10 a packet for 8 sprung buffers in red or black, and for a pack of 8 screw couplings. Good value for money I think and definately on my shopping list!

Paul J.

5099 is tickling my fancy, however, can anyone confirm when it received the "Glasgow face"? As ideally I need 1970 condition but I have a suspicion this loco was done in 1972?

I appreciate this loco is being done in "early 70s condition" but when did the Glasgow changes start being applied?

It was BR Blue by August 68 but still with the earlier style front disc position etc as per photo on the Derby Sulzers site.

Thus far the best colour photo I have found after this date and clearly "Glasgow" modified, shows it at Falkland yard October 72 in BR blue, with what certainly appears to be a full light grey roof in fairly clean condition with black edged headcode discs (P.93, Seventies Spotting Days Around the Scottish Region; Strathwood Publishing).

Dang all those pesky variations!

5099 is tickling my fancy, however, can anyone confirm when it received the "Glasgow face"? As ideally I need 1970 condition but I have a suspicion this loco was done in 1972?

I appreciate this loco is being done in "early 70s condition" but when did the Glasgow changes start being applied?

It was BR Blue by August 68 but still with the earlier style front disc position etc as per photo on the Derby Sulzers site.

Thus far the best colour photo I have found after this date and clearly "Glasgow" modified, shows it at Falkland yard October 72 in BR blue, with what certainly appears to be a full light grey roof in fairly clean condition with black edged headcode discs (P.93, Seventies Spotting Days Around the Scottish Region; Strathwood Publishing).

Dang all those pesky variations!

The "Grey" looking roof in the photo is likely a trick of the lighting conditions ? Assuming there were drive through washes back then ? the loco sides and also a line along the edge of the roof looks relatively clean, the remaining roof area being matt/dirty. The roof area above the cab windows also being Blue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

HI folks,

I received an e-mail from Jamie today as I asked for the voting to be updated on the website.

This has now been done. Many thanks Jamie.

Voting for G and H was very strong prior to the new year and it has now fallen off. Currently at 85 and 89 percent. If you want a Headcode box version please get your votes in. I sure, given time this will lead into other 24/1's and hopefully 25/0's too.

Yours, purely selfish.

Alan

I agree. Vote H.

• 1 month later...

Latest post on the slw facebook site has Phil Sutton encouraging people to take the knife to a class 24 to convert it to a 25.

Somehow I don't think we're going to see a 25 from slw for a long time, if maybe at all. Will Bachmann's new version beat them to it?

I can understand the reasoning behind that, it doesn't make potential sense to release a 25 unless it is available to ship right now (which is generally Phil's preferred method of release of models rather than 4-5+ year waiting). I'm sure when Phil is ready he'll share with us all what he has planned.

Whatever it may end up being, if it is to the standard of the 24, I'll be very interested potentially ( say potentially as it has to be southern applicable for me generally, hence 2 of the original 24s (5000/5018) on payment plan).

• Like 1

I can understand the reasoning behind that, it doesn't make potential sense to release a 25 unless it is available to ship right now (which is generally Phil's preferred method of release of models rather than 4-5+ year waiting). I'm sure when Phil is ready he'll share with us all what he has planned.

Whatever it may end up being, if it is to the standard of the 24, I'll be very interested potentially ( say potentially as it has to be southern applicable for me generally, hence 2 of the original 24s (5000/5018) on payment plan).

Maybe the next model will be a Class 40  :sungum:  :sungum:  I reckon the best advice is to have a vote from interested parties .....well it would gauge the possible sales potential 

Maybe the next model will be a Class 40  :sungum:  :sungum:  I reckon the best advice is to have a vote from interested parties .....well it would gauge the possible sales potential 

It's got to be a worthwhile Class 47 at last please!!

Latest post on the slw facebook site has Phil Sutton encouraging people to take the knife to a class 24 to convert it to a 25.

Somehow I don't think we're going to see a 25 from slw for a long time, if maybe at all. Will Bachmann's new version beat them to it?

IMHO The conversion of a 24 bodyshell into a 25 is not acceptable. Although the bodyside air intakes are in the same positions (apart from the eighth on some) the actual fittings are different, The class 24 louvres are cast metal and stand out from the bodyshell whereas the 25s are fabricated and are a different shape and profile. This alone would prevent me from taking a knife to a class 24 bodyshell for this purpose. 

Zoom into the image in this link https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:No.D5185_Castell_Dinas_Bran_(Class_25)_(6779271791).jpg then compare the filter boxes to thew cast metal version on the 24 and you will notice the difference. 

Whilst on this subject note that dual braked 25s had the air intake filter boxes modified to hinge outwards, on one side - the opposite side to that sahown in the linked image. This modification saw a piano hinge fitted to the filter boxes, and metal straps to retain them closed. 

Although the bodyside air intakes are in the same positions (apart from the eighth on some) the actual fittings are different,

Good job they're a separate moulding on the model then eh?  All be it, well glued in.

P

• RMweb Premium

The mention is most likely to tie in with the article on doing just such a conversion (24 to 25/1) in the latest MRJ (#263, I believe).

Whilst there are differences - cab roof, cab front windows, lower cab/side valancing, small side grilles, exhaust port, filler recesses, roof panels, underside tanks, etc - the SLW 24 is certainly worth consideration as a good starting point - probably more for a 25/0 than a 25/1 though. For the latter, the good old Hornby 25 body has the right basic shape (even if some of the detail needs fettling).

From a business point of view, the late body 25/3 would (imho) be the bigger seller, so maybe Phil is guiding modellers to the conversion potential of the 24 as the SLW 25/1 might be at the back of the queue?

And in case anyone missed it. Shawplan/Extreme Etchings now include a Laserglaze set of glazing for the SLW 24 - I retro-fitted mine as part of a modelling demo at expoEM a Sunday or two back and they do make a noticeable difference/improvement over the factory glazing.

Edited by CloggyDog

Good job they're a separate moulding on the model then eh?  All be it, well glued in.

P

That's interesting.... maybe another clue that a 25 was/is planned as a second model.... I just wish they'd get on with it, time is passing and I for one am getting no younger!

That's interesting.... maybe another clue that a 25 was/is planned as a second model.... I just wish they'd get on with it, time is passing and I for one am getting no younger!

To my thinking it makes sense to allow for further development. At the time of designing the 24, bachmanns model of the 25/1 wouldn't likely have been known, so all possible options to maximise the use of the tooling to recover the costs makes sense. Whether options ever become a viable proposition later on is an entire different consideration.

• RMweb Premium

And surely everyone knows the moment a project is started - along it comes from an RTR manufacturer!

Phil

Yes, that happened for my WD - commissioned from a loco builder way back when, not to mention the Ivatt 4MT, BR 4MT, Clan, and a Brassmasters Jubilee. This last loco was commission following a conversation I had with a Bachmann rep at a show to the effect that there would never be a Jubilee. Still, I've got the Brassmasters Jubilee built to exhibition standard, not to mention 3 other Bachmann Jubilees (even if their splasher size and shape makes them look ex-Swindon jobs).