Bachmann Anchor Mounted Tanks at Warley

Arthur

Amidst all the loco centric Warley froth these seem to have been missed, Bachmanns anchor mounted tanks, on display on their stand,

post-6861-0-09642000-1448840418_thumb.jpeg

post-6861-0-16385500-1448840463_thumb.jpeg

There was a third in black Shell/BP livery.

Available soon by the look of them.

• Like 8

Look good, but would like to have seen heavy type W irons (as on Hornby's newly announced coke hopper) on the 20ton verson rather than the identical chassis to the 14ton wagon.

Bachmann's iron ore tipplers and hoppers need a similar upgrade to their chassis.

It's good to see wagons now starting to get recognition from other than Bachmann who have generally served us well.

What sort of era and location would these have run in?

Nik

They'd have run nationwide until the mid-1960s for the Class A (silver tanks), and perhaps early 1970s for the Class B (black) ones. A lot of the Class B ones were used for heavy fuel oil traffic to steelworks and power stations, where they'd be used as storage until required, so the oil companies weren't desparate to replace them. When they were finally displaced by more modern stock, some steelworks (such as Duport's, at end of my road) retained the wagons on site, sliced off the top half of the barrel, and squeezed almost another decade's use as scrap carriers.

Good to see that the Class A ones don't have the bottom discharge outlets.

• Like 1

The ESSO ones finished in revenue traffic in the mid 1960s as ESSO were the first company to realise / accept that an updated fleet was going to be a requirement. Plenty went into various types of internal use http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essounfit

The SMBP fleet went on being used into the early 1970s. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/smbpanchor

The National Benzol - Benzene tanks could also be used in internal use http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essounfit

Paul

The Benzene tank wagons would have been used to carry Benzene from coke oven by-product plants. It was a valuable fuel and chemical.

Rather hazy and distant, the photo is cropped from a larger image, here are some Benzene tanks at the Coke ovens serving Workington steelworks.

post-6861-0-82476300-1448926903.gif

From the 1950's onwards, Benzene was increasingly produced as a petroleum product at oil refineries.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice photos, Arthur - many thanks. I was wondering if these were on display at Warley, as no one else has seen fit to post photos! Others have told us when these were used till - when were they first built, or come into general use? I'm guessing around 1950? I'm sure someone on here can give us a little more info, please!

John

Thanks John, I'm not that surprised that they were almost unnoticed, they were just on display in the Bachmann cabinet surrounded on all sides by existing, widely available, models. No 'NEW' or 'Available Soon' labels.

They were so anonymous there that I was asking myself 'are they already available?, did I miss their launch?'. A quick check revealed that no, they weren't yet available, so I took a couple of photos.

• Like 1

Nice photos, Arthur - many thanks. I was wondering if these were on display at Warley, as no one else has seen fit to post photos! 

Initially I'd missed the decorated samples as they were away from other headliners in the cabinets. When I did spot them it was a bit too late on Friday to grab pictures, I have photographed them at an earlier stage but they do look superb when decorated.

Class_A_14T_tank_1st_EP_Sample.jpg

Class_B_20T_tank_1st_EP_Sample.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Others have told us when these were used till - when were they first built, or come into general use? I'm guessing around 1950? I'm sure someone on here can give us a little more info, please!

1942, according to the book on oil traffic by rail which the HMRS were selling off at Warley.

They do look good, but one thing way the joins running round the tank?, or will these not be on the finished one's?.

Darren

That arrangement is, I'm sure, to enable the centre section, including the anchor mounting, to be used with different ends in a variety of future models.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

... Plenty went into various types of internal use http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essounfit

The National Benzol - Benzene tanks could also be used in internal use http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essounfit

These are possibly the first model that could 'double up' in the range as both a RTR wagon and RTP scenic accessory. I couldn't begin to count how many there must have been on industrial sites various around the UK, often complete on their wheels. Later on bunded with a crude cinderblock or brick wall concealing the running gear after the business had yet again killed all the fish in the river...

Will these chassis' simplify the conversion of such favourites as the HD TSL tanks as excellently expounded by CCT?

Mike.

Apologies for the TLA's!

I'd need to measure the length of the anchor plates before I can answer that - I used the plates from damaged HD TRAFFIC SERVICES tank wagons.

However, the availability of another source of anchor plates, regardless of length, can only be a good thing.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 5 months later...

Wee heads-up, folks. The June Rail Express has a review sample of this wagon, suggesting it's not far away. Didn't get a chance to read it in depth as the owner nicked his magazine back (!) but I read the overall feel of the review as being positive.

Dave. 

• 2 weeks later...

Initially I'd missed the decorated samples as they were away from other headliners in the cabinets. When I did spot them it was a bit too late on Friday to grab pictures, I have photographed them at an earlier stage but they do look superb when decorated.

Class_A_14T_tank_1st_EP_Sample.jpg

Class_B_20T_tank_1st_EP_Sample.jpg

Just noticed - double v-hangers and cross-shaft; one or the other will have to go !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John that photo is a long time ago. Is that present on the models now being reviewed, I don't think so - they have the bottom discharge but not the non existent link do they? Can we wait on some photos of the actual models.

Paul