Bachmann Anchor Mounted Tanks at Warley

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was thinking of buying one of these and prefer the black Esso wagon (38-777), but I wondered whether anybody had a view on the accuracy of the livery of this wagon?  I ask as the review in the July "Railway Modeller" suggests that the prototype of this wagon was a 20 ton tank with a longer wheelbase; the reviewer quotes "Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Britain" by R. Tourret.  I don't have a copy of this book (which I understand is a 'Bible' for tank wagon information), but have looked at the pictures in David Larkin's "Non Pool Freight Stock 1948-19698" and on Paul Bartlett's web site, which seem to be inconclusive.  However I haven't seen any comments elsewhere that the livery on the model is anything other than accurate.

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone confirm whether the new Shell BP version 38-776 could be run prototypically with either or both of the 45T TTA http://www.ehattons.com/26536/Bachmann_Branchline_37_582A_45_Ton_TTA_tank_wagon_in_Shell_BP_black_livery/StockDetail.aspx and the 14T tank 37-669 http://www.ehattons.com/18010/Bachmann_Branchline_37_669_14_Ton_tank_wagons_Shell_BP_black_Pack_of_3/StockDetail.aspx in these liveries please.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann have been using the HMRS photograph collection for these!

attachicon.gifAAX135.jpg

Mark Saunders

Thank you Mark, I didn't look there.  But is that the type of vehicle which Bachmann have modelled?  The RM review suggests otherwise but I can't see the wheelbase dimension painted on the real wagon in that photo.

Bachmann have been using the HMRS photograph collection for these!

attachicon.gifAAX135.jpg

Mark Saunders

Thank you Mark, I didn't look there.  But is that the type of vehicle which Bachmann have modelled?  The RM review suggests otherwise but I can't see the wheelbase dimension painted on the real wagon in that photo.

It looks as close as you are going to get in a rtr model, assuming the model and chassis are the same they appear to be 17' 6" OH and 10' WB!

Mark Saunders

The model has a 40mm,10' wheelbase, and is 70mm, 17' 6"" over the head stocks. I'll post a pic or two later.

Arthur

How badly do the joins show on the tank as I rather fancy two or three class A with the brand letters removed, as per the IU's at BSC Lackenby!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bsclackenby/hd6251d0#hd6251d0

Mark

edit to add link

Edited by Mark Saunders

Just a quick iPad snap, I'll take some better ones tomorrow,

post-6861-0-14846600-1466457009.jpeg

Mark, the join is certainly there but not as prominent as it looks in the photo I took at Warley, see the first post in this thread.

I'll get a shot or two tomorrow showing it clearly. I've also got a couple of the Shell BP black version, still in their boxes. I'll photo them tomorrow as well.

• Like 3

Mark, the join is certainly there but not as prominent as it looks in the photo I took at Warley ....

I too have been looking at these - I have one each of the three variants on pre-order from eHattons.

If I judge the joint to be too intrusive when they arrive, I'll fill it with Milliput and relivery them.

I did a sweep of my wagon photo archive this evening for all anchor mounted tank wagons, and am in the process of identifying the ones that can be represented by the Bachmann models.

You may well see some new transfers sheets being added to my range in due course - but not until after the holiday season !!

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.org.uk/

• Like 5

You may well see some new transfers sheets being added to my range in due course - but not until after the holiday season !!

Sounds good John! I'm sure everyone is in a patient mood! (Just ignore the Bachmann Thompson & Stanier 2-6-0 threads...).

I just need to clarify for myself if they turned up in Wharfedale on the Heysham Tyne Tees oil trains... time for some 'reading'.

I just need to clarify for myself if they turned up in Wharfedale on the Heysham Tyne Tees oil trains... time for some 'reading'.

...& the answer appears to be yes. One of my favourite photos in 'Historic Railway photographs - vol 2. The Skipton-Ilkley railway' by Donald Binns is on p28 of double headed WD 2-8-0s on an oil train, & some if the tanks are anchor mounted. Just a bit distant to tell the liveries, to my untrained eye at least.

• RMweb Gold

Arthur

How badly do the joins show on the tank as I rather fancy two or three class A with the brand letters removed, as per the IU's at BSC Lackenby!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bsclackenby/hd6251d0#hd6251d0

Mark

edit to add link

The join is certainly less prominent than in the earlier pictures. To my eyes at layout viewing distance it is hardly visible, and after a little bit of toning down I doubt if it will be seen.

Looking at the pictures in the Model Rail review I got the impression that the chassis bottom is solid not letting any daylight through, unlike the prototype.

Can any one confirm this, and post a downward looking picture please?

Thanks

Gordon A

...You may well see some new transfers sheets being added to my range in due course - but not until after the holiday season !!...

This is an attractive prospect as my thoughts for these tankers is as 'very new to traffic vehicles' for my circa 1956 onwards scenario, to contrast with the worn/stained/liberally coated with spillage earlier designs. I have in mind a particularly sparkling example seen near KX which may have been branded for Mobil who appeared to have the BR diesel fuel supply contract at around that time.

Looking at the pictures in the Model Rail review I got the impression that the chassis bottom is solid not letting any daylight through, unlike the prototype.

Can any one confirm this, and post a downward looking picture please?

Thanks

Gordon A

Looking at the engineering prototype photos early on in this thread, then the underframe doesn't seem solid, in that the chassis members from the headstock corners towards the centre of the wagons are evident.

I was thinking of buying one of these and prefer the black Esso wagon (38-777), but I wondered whether anybody had a view on the accuracy of the livery of this wagon?  I ask as the review in the July "Railway Modeller" suggests that the prototype of this wagon was a 20 ton tank with a longer wheelbase; the reviewer quotes "Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Britain" by R. Tourret.  I don't have a copy of this book (which I understand is a 'Bible' for tank wagon information), but have looked at the pictures in David Larkin's "Non Pool Freight Stock 1948-19698" and on Paul Bartlett's web site, which seem to be inconclusive.  However I haven't seen any comments elsewhere that the livery on the model is anything other than accurate.

There will be an apology in a future RM. RM have been in contact with Bachmann about the errors in the review.

Of course, as many of my photos show, and also the ones in this topic the class Bs are accurately 20tonners. Haven't we been through this already. Tourret shows 10ft wheelbase 20ton anchor mounted wagons as well. He simply mentions there were also 20tonners with 12ft wheelbase, which there were especially for chemicals but also for Bitumen.

Paul

Some more photos,

Shell BP

post-6861-0-63124000-1466621716_thumb.jpeg

And two different Benzene models.

post-6861-0-13030400-1466621734.jpeg

post-6861-0-68451600-1466621744.jpeg

Note the right hand seam on one model is more noticeable than the other. I did try pressing on the ends of the tanks to see if the gaps would close up, they don't, I presume they are glued.

Having said that, as SignalEngineer observed, at typical layout viewing distance they are barely noticeable.

I'll get a pic of the underframe and post it later.

• Like 6

Underside shot

post-6861-0-56142800-1466627549.jpeg

So there is daylight in a triangle in each corner extending as far back as the tank saddles and broken by a frame crossmember running crossways just ahead of each wheel.

Under the tank end the chassis top is not flat, there is a well with raised 'ribs' replicating the tops of chassis members but it is not see through, there is a base.

The photo also shows the crosswise discharge pipe, present on the black fuel oil tanks, absent on the flammables silver tanks.

Edited by Arthur

Are any of the initial liveries for both flammables and oil suitable for 1945-47? I am a bit of a stickler about 1948 and later liveries on my summer 1947 Padstow.  Unfortunately I do not have much in available resources to do my own research for private owner stock.

thanks

Edited by autocoach