Bachmann Anchor Mounted Tanks at Warley

Arthur

Once again 'Oil On The Rails' is the 'bible' you should be studying for oil traffics etc. ........ probably not in your local library but you yuor local club ( if you have one ) might have a copy ............ and no doubt Ebay would have one from time to time !

No need for Ebay; remains in print and available for £6 http://www.hmrs.org.uk/books/bookdetails.php?bookid=1021 Why not buy it when you go to Railex in a couple of weekends

Paul

• RMweb Gold

It would be 'penny numbers' scattered within mixed freights in almost all cases; quite possibly several small groups of different owners' tanks within a longer, mixed, train. Block workings of petroleum products would be largely confined to those from refinery to first marshalling yard (Fawley- Eastleigh, for example). This pattern of working continued well into diesel days; I've just found a photo, in 'Heyday of the Hymecs', of 7064 at Fishguard in 1970 with a rake of empty minerals with half a dozen unfitted Shell Mex-BP Class B tanks at the rear.

Thanks,

In that case I will pick up a couple next time I'm at the model shop.

Once again 'Oil On The Rails' is the 'bible' you should be studying for oil traffics etc. ........ probably not in your local library but you yuor local club ( if you have one ) might have a copy ............ and no doubt Ebay would have one from time to time !

There are a few on Amazon, just bought one.

Had a look at the photo myself. I couldn't find a prototype photo but they look a bit like this model, based on a prototype Cowburn & Cowpar sulphuric acid tank.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I have a vague recollection that sulphuric acid did have some connection to gasworks/coke ovens and by product plants, either it was produced there or used in one of the refining processes.

There are a number of shots of Cowburn & Cowpar acid tanks in one of the Cheona tank wagons books but the only others I've found - so far - with side boards are Dorman Long ( possibly internal users ) ..... frustratingly another set of three appears behind a Q6 on the title page of the other Cheona volume - but they're far too small to identify. Cranking-up the eyesight, am I imagining that the second word on the Bylines tanks is SMELTING ?

There are a number of shots of Cowburn & Cowpar acid tanks in one of the Cheona tank wagons books but the only others I've found - so far - with side boards are Dorman Long ( possibly internal users ) ..... frustratingly another set of three appears behind a Q6 on the title page of the other Cheona volume - but they're far too small to identify. Cranking-up the eyesight, am I imagining that the second word on the Bylines tanks is SMELTING ?

'Imperial Smelting', perchance? Zinc smelting company originally based in Llansamlet, Swansea, then Avonmouth- sulphuric acid is a by-product of the smelting process. Until the demise of Speedlink in the early 1990s, they dispatched product by rail to Stratford Market and Gower Chemicals, Swansea.

'Imperial Smelting', perchance? Zinc smelting company originally based in Llansamlet, Swansea, then Avonmouth- sulphuric acid is a by-product of the smelting process. Until the demise of Speedlink in the early 1990s, they dispatched product by rail to Stratford Market and Gower Chemicals, Swansea.

Thanks .... I'm sure I've seen Imperial Smelting tanks in one of the books ( Turton volume umpteen ? ) - but I didn't want to put words in anyone's mouth ! ( From what I remember of failed 'O Level' chemistry I'd guess H2SO4 results from scrubbing the furnace fumes.)

To return to Shell Mex-BP anchor-mounted tanks; I just happened upon a photo in 'Heyday of the Warships' of D602 at Llandrindod Wells, at the head of the pick-up goods from Llandeilo Junction. The photo was taken in September 1967, and the train consists of a 16t mineral, an ex-LNER steel open, two Class B SM&BP tanks, anex-GW Vanfit and a 13t open. The whole is finished off by a brake van.

I wonder where the tanks had loaded to? The Central Wales Line doesn't run through any industrial areas after leaving Tirdail; the only industrial activity I can think of is either the Co-Op dairy at Llangadog or the brickworks at Cynghordy.

Thanks .... I'm sure I've seen Imperial Smelting tanks in one of the books ( Turton volume umpteen ? ) - but I didn't want to put words in anyone's mouth ! ( From what I remember of failed 'O Level' chemistry I'd guess H2SO4 results from scrubbing the furnace fumes.)

Thanks for reminding me I need to pick up August BRILL and Bylines.

I remember a train of the ISC acid tanks thundering through Bristol TM in the early 1960s, behind an 8F IIRC. A very ramshackle collection of elderly tank wagons. They had quite a large fleet.

So did the Royal Ordnance factories, whom had plenty of Sulphuric and even smaller Nitric Acid tanks. A good mixed collection were to be found rusting away at Bishopton http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mosacidtank including - to get back On topic perhaps - anchor mounted ones built in 1954 for Caerwent http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/rofbishopton/e16c5cc08

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

Sorry you omitted the word 'Midland' ........,.. I associate 'Railex' with Aylesbury - and that's done for this year !

That was in the past, now it is almost all model railway exhibitions which include real railway and model railway (I don't think Aylesbury does this)

Paul

There are a number of shots of Cowburn & Cowpar acid tanks in one of the Cheona tank wagons books but the only others I've found - so far - with side boards are Dorman Long

It's based on a photo in one of the old Bradford Barton card backed photo albums, 'Private Owner Freight Wagons on British Railways', 1976.

The wagon is photographed on its home patch of Trafford Park, Manchester and it does have the lettered side boards, very clear it is too. Same as on the model but with 'Manchester' spelt out in full, not abbreviated to M/c. It was made long before home printing using Letraset rub on letters and I couldn't find any small enough to fit on the full wording. A second wagon stands behind it in the photo and that seems to have blank side boards.

The colour, dark maroon, I used because that was the colour of Cowburn & Cowpars very distinctive road fleet. A familiar sight around Trafford Park when I was a kid, they used bonneted Scammells with frameless tank trailers running on balloon tyres. They still had a fleet of barges on the Bridgewater Canal too.

Anyway, back to Anchor tanks, in the same volume there is a photo of an Anchor tank in Gulf fuel oil livery. It would have been in Gulf's distinctive blue with orange lettering, that would make a nice addition to Bachmanns fleet.

It's based on a photo in one of the old Bradford Barton card backed photo albums, 'Private Owner Freight Wagons on British Railways', 1976.

The wagon is photographed on its home patch of Trafford Park, Manchester and it does have the lettered side boards, very clear it is too. Same as on the model but with 'Manchester' spelt out in full, not abbreviated to M/c. It was made long before home printing using Letraset rub on letters and I couldn't find any small enough to fit on the full wording. A second wagon stands behind it in the photo and that seems to have blank side boards.

The colour, dark maroon, I used because that was the colour of Cowburn & Cowpars very distinctive road fleet. A familiar sight around Trafford Park when I was a kid, they used bonneted Scammells with frameless tank trailers running on balloon tyres. They still had a fleet of barges on the Bridgewater Canal too.

Anyway, back to Anchor tanks, in the same volume there is a photo of an Anchor tank in Gulf fuel oil livery. It would have been in Gulf's distinctive blue with orange lettering, that would make a nice addition to Bachmanns fleet.

There are a couple of photos of those Gulf tanks in 'Non-Pool Freight Stock 1948-1968 Volume 1' by David Larkin. At least one has the pipework associated with steam heating on one end, which might put Bachmann off.

You're right Brian, one of them is probably the same photo, also in Trafford Park it shows Gulf fleet no. 79, clearly displaying the pipes at the near end.

If Bachmann don't do one I'll have a bash myself sometime.

Prices seem to be dropping - Track Shack have them at 25.6% off (£15.58) http://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Bachmann-branchline-and-Hornby-00-gauge-freight-rolling-stock-tank-wagons.html

while I got one for the equivalent of £15.80 inc postage off ebay yesterday (equivalent as it £17.50 post free with bonus nectar points, yet another ebay nectar offer, worth £1.70)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colour view at Burntisland on 28/11/69, which may be useful:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/42575539951/in/dateposted/

It’s certainly an interesting way to pull a wagon, look at the cable from the draw bar hook of the loco. If I were shunter, i’d be Walking a little further back incase it snapped. Edited by adb968008

It’s certainly an interesting way to pull a wagon, look at the cable from the draw bar hook of the loco. If I were shunter, i’d be Walking a little further back incase it snapped.

Common practice in those days - in fact, at one time most wagons were fitted with horse shunting hooks / loops on the solebars, and the holes in the BR axleguard were apparently intended for this purpose.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Common practice in those days - in fact, at one time most wagons were fitted with horse shunting hooks / loops on the solebars, and the holes in the BR axleguard were apparently intended for this purpose.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Deadly though.

Back in 1982 I saw a Barry wreck being offloaded of a low loader and the cable snapped as the loco moved.

Aside of the noise,the cable recoiled and sliced through the lorry’s cab roof that was trying to tease the loco forwards off the loader.

After a few toilet visits by a couple of onlookers, and a worried lorry driver, they decided a few crow bars and man power under the wheels might be better.

Edited by adb968008