Česky Západ - HO Czech Layout

Neils WRX

• RMweb Gold

Bit too early for me!! They had finished by the time I first went to Denmark... I'm trying to model the first time I went to Denmark 1990's-2000's.

I managed to get a ride on one once.

Been on Ebay again.... this time added a few more Czech wagons, a pair of CD Ballast hoppers and then 3 Cement wagons by Bramos.

The cement wagons are the vehicles I really remember from my first visit back in the 1990's they were absolutely everywhere. I just picked 3 different ones at random so have no idea if they would have every have run together. I will get around to buying some more in the near future I just was to see what the Bramos models were like. I think I will order another 3 or 4 as that's about the maximum length I can fit in my fiddle yard plus loco.

post-27790-0-51476500-1497110337_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-19440200-1497110605_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Some say size is important...

When the layout was originally built it was 13 feet long (9 foot scenic 4 foot fiddle yard), the fiddle yard was always a temporary feature, its length was restricted by the room it lived in.

A couple of house moves later and its in a much longer room which means the fiddle yard can be extended as it as I never did build a sector plate. This means each road will now take a locomotive and 3-4 scale length coaches as I've added an extra foot.

I'm also taking the opportunity to put a small scenic section replacing the nearest two roads in the fiddle yard, here's a quick picture of the new board attached.

Just need to find some where in the Glasgow area to buy a couple of metres of peco flexible track and a point.

post-27790-0-85251200-1497127984_thumb.jpg

After a visit to Pastimes on Maryhill Rd, Glasgow which was about a half hour walk from my office one lunchtime last week, I purchased some Peco flexible track and a point, however when I got home I couldn't they find any "rail joiners", so popped into C&M Models in Carlisle on the way back from a meeting Preston and somehow managed to come out with a DSB tank wagon as well as the rail joiners.

Last night found some time to get the track laid and wired up and tested it this morning so here are a couple of pictures, the first is testing it with a SNCB Nohab, the second is in use with a few Czech models as I had a quick 15 minute running session.

I've still to pull up the two sidings at the front of the board and create the scenic bit, I'm still deciding on the final track layout, might even use my first DCC point motors.

post-27790-0-89583100-1497731167_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-99473000-1497731238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 1

I know I've been very critical of Piko in another thread however credit where it's due I've just had a pair of Piko CD double decker coaches delivered and despite being from the basic "Hobby" range they are excellent models.

I changed the couplers to Roco close couplings as there was a bit of a gap for customers to jump between the vehicles...

The vehicles are sat in my new extended fiddle yard.

post-27790-0-95899000-1498165202_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd supply a quick update, not much modelling has taken place. Went to Perth Model Railway last weekend which was a great exhibition, one of the traders had a Roco ZSR van so added that to the collection (you can never have enough random wagons).

Then a parcel arrived from a well know German Modelshop with a CD class 754 from Roco fitted with sound and a couple of Eaos Bogie opens by Roco, one of which was a DSB one in a slightly odd shade of orange.

Hope to actually get around to some modelling over the coming week, have a relay room to build and more static grass to lay.

post-27790-0-88887300-1498861378_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-98484800-1498861820_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-49837700-1498862096_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Then a parcel arrived from a well know German Modelshop .. .. and a couple of Eaos Bogie opens by Roco, one of which was a DSB one in a slightly odd shade of orange.

Yes, I was a little surprised at the orange colour of the DSB Eaos when I picked up my order of two from my local model shop - I'm sure they did not look that colour on the gaugemaster website...

Does anyone know a EU transfer manufacturer that would allow me to repaint them? - I cant seem to find anything suitable in the UK. I'm not too fussed at the actual detail of the data panel/UIC number etc so long as it looks right

Does anyone know a EU transfer manufacturer that would allow me to repaint them? - I cant seem to find anything suitable in the UK. I'm not too fussed at the actual detail of the data panel/UIC number etc so long as it looks right

If you want to do it as a Green Cargo one Dekaler & Etsat do a set http://www.byggsvenskt.nu/

The two Danish decal makers that I know of don't do a set (Yet?)

http://www.km-text.dk/

http://www.skilteskoven.dk/

Nick

Jernbanen.dk has its of the DSB Eaos here http://www.jernbanen.dk/dsb_gvogn.php?Aar=1965&litra=Eaos&typenr=

If anyone is using the D&E set, the Green Cargo Eaos wagons are of two types

540 0160 - 0229 are the same type as the Roco DSB wagon, the prototypes were built by Poprad in Poland

540 0000 - 0083 & 0085 - 0159 are ex DB like this one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicks_trainstuff/33148947593/in/dateposted-public/

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

Yes, I was a little surprised at the orange colour of the DSB Eaos when I picked up my order of two from my local model shop - I'm sure they did not look that colour on the gaugemaster website...

Must confess think I might have a go at weathing mine before repainting it, the colour just looks wrong...

Just dIscovered the Anyrail planning software so thought I'd add a plan of the layout as the isn't one in the thread.

How the times have changed the layout was originally mapped out on a back of a bit of spare wallpaper.... I found Anyrail really easy to use and get the hang of, all the measurements are pretty much bang on.

The layout is 9 foot by 2 foot, scenic and 4 foot fiddle yard which has been extended to 5 foot in length earlier this year.

post-27790-0-16589400-1499985872_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

As it's been over a month since my last report, so thought I'd better supply a update.

I've added some more Czech (CD) rolling stock including another 3 cement wagons from Bramos, a few Roco coaches in plain green livery, and a few more Roco vans.

Modelling wise I've put some more static grass down and that's it.

I keep thinking about adding a level crossing at the right hand even of the layout across the scenic break. This will also provide a good way of hiding the two point motors, by covering them with a cabin similar to the one at Zabok.

post-27790-0-08250000-1503350329_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-15933300-1503350389_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-93863400-1503350447_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-87567700-1503350534_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Another month goes by and not much has happened...

I have come to the conclusion that the layout should either be run as Croatian or Czech (both 1995 to about 2005), and the Danish and Belgian models will only get odd days out.

Having come to that decision I've started building a Czech station building (which is a Igra Model) this is the first card kit I've built for about 30+ years. I'm very impressed with how it's going together.

The Czech station is located close to the German Border so that gives an excuse to have DB (former DR) locos crossing the border. There are no through trains so it's a perfect excuse to run DB 202"s and 232's on a couple of coaches. I'm currently thinking about adding a Roco 232 with sound to the fleet.

I have a few Czech models coming in the post a MTB 742, and another Roco 749 ( 250 this time). I'll add pictures of these to the thread as they arrive.

Still hunting a Roco CD 781.

post-27790-0-30910600-1506030997_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-37911400-1506031080_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-22078900-1506031649_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The latest arrival, another Czech (CD) loco this time a class 742 made by a manufacturer called MTB. The model came fitted with a Lenz DCC chip, but needs sound so I'll be sending an email to Artol in due course. The model runs really well and I'd certainly consider getting one in a different livery.

The model came from the US via a well known auction site.

I've not fitted the number plates and detailing bits yet, that's on the to do list.

post-27790-0-50207400-1506979389_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-99209300-1506979438_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm a very slow builder but the "Czech" station building is now pretty complete, needs a name board and a few detailing bits but that's it.

This is the first card kit I've built for about 30+ years, the building was from Igramodel.

Just need to decide what to put on the site of the goodshed ( when in Croatian mode ) which is to the right of the station building in the picture.

One option might be to get another Kibri goods shed building but repaint it yellow / white to match the station building and see how it looks..

post-27790-0-65140900-1508537135_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Last week updated the sound on a Roco CD749, refreshing it with Artol sounds that are far superior to the ones Roco use in my opinion. Used my Z21 to update the Zimo decoder and updated cv261-263 with the supplied load code and much to my surprise it worked!! Had to turn the sound down a bit as it was to noisy in my railway room....

Added another Bardotka (number 5) to the loco roster as well, 751219 in CD Cargo blue livery which is really a bit new for me but it was to good to resist on a well known auction site, at the moment I just have it running using a ESU Lokpilot DCC chip which I will change for a Zimo sound chip in due course.

Hope to get round to a bit of scenic work on the layout over the next week or so.

post-27790-0-64611200-1510009509_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the layouts first (and only proper) exhibition about 15 years ago I did some very temporary scenic work, anyway I've at long last got round to replacing the bit of grass mat with some litchen stuck on it with some static grass at the front of the layout.

I plan to add a coupe of trees and some bushes / shrubs to brake the area of green up. Will also add a few old sleepers and clutter.

The grass is a mix of summer and autumn colours of differing lengths to give a bit of texture.

I do like the results static grass gives the 2 pictures are a before and after.

post-27790-0-95556500-1511304555_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-10026200-1511304671_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Short update from me, added a Czech CD 781 to the roster.

Model has been fitted with a ESU Loksound v4 which I “borrowed” from a DSB MY but obviously changed the sound file.

I’ve also added a couple of Heki Beech Trees to the front of the layout as well.

The pictures below show the 781 running round a train of Bramos Cement Wagons and passing a 751 in the station.

post-27790-0-88666700-1513373201_thumb.jpeg

post-27790-0-68286700-1513373271_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A quick Happy New Year to everyone who reads my rambles, hope you all had a good Christmas.

Not much has happened on the layout front, as we’ve been far to very busy entertaining and feeding family for the last week or so.

One development on the layout Santa (my wife) brought me a sound fitted MTB Bardotka 751004 (see picture). Also got a DB Cargowagon and a couple of Belgian Railway Books as well.

The 751 is an excellent model and i”ll provide a comparison between the Roco and MTB versions in due course.

Happy New Year, Neil

post-27790-0-78969200-1514743513_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

I recently aquired a Roco Bardotka in ZSSK Cargo livery with sound, Neil at scograil offered me a deal I coundn't refuse. As my only other Slovak stock is a couple of ACME coaches I've been looking at what else is available with a view to a small Slovak layout. The MTB bogie grain wagons look tempting.

A question regarding the 751, when were the additional spring hangers on the bogies removed? I notice most of yours have them, except the updated 749. My Roco 751 doesn't, which appears correct from prototype photos of the loco I have.

I recently aquired a Roco Bardotka in ZSSK Cargo livery with sound, Neil at scograil offered me a deal I coundn't refuse. As my only other Slovak stock is a couple of ACME coaches I've been looking at what else is available with a view to a small Slovak layout. The MTB bogie grain wagons look tempting.

A question regarding the 751, when were the additional spring hangers on the bogies removed? I notice most of yours have them, except the updated 749. My Roco 751 doesn't, which appears correct from prototype photos of the loco I have.

Re the 751 suspension I think the bogies were changed when were converted to 749 and had electric train heating added. Not sure on the Slovak changes, sorry.

I’m sure some one else will be able to give the technical reasons.

Re the models there is an excellent range of rolling stock available for CD / ZSR a well known auction website will be your friend as will the internet!!

Thanks,

Neil

Re the 751 suspension I think the bogies were changed when were converted to 749 and had electric train heating added. Not sure on the Slovak changes, sorry.

I’m sure some one else will be able to give the technical reasons.

Thanks,

Neil

Looking at photos online, the bogie mod appears to be almost universal on Slovak 751s post 2000ish but relatively few of the Czech 751s, I guess because ZSSK have no 749 conversions.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update, as it was snowing outside and I’d already built the snowman in the garden so thought I’d have a quick play with the layout.

So far this year I’ve added a Zimo sound chip to the MTB Czech 742 i’m Just awaiting the load code from Artol to upgrade the sound project.

I’ve also added a Czech Bogie cereal Hopper by Rivarossi to the collection,l although the model is marketed by Rivarossi it looks like an older LIMA model just with a higher price!! The model is a nice and does look the part,

Anyway here are today’s pictures

CD 781 “Sergei”

post-27790-0-10884800-1516574815_thumb.jpeg

CD 742 by MTB on a rake of Roco Gas tanks

post-27790-0-68895600-1516574893_thumb.jpeg

CD751 “Bardotka” by MTB

post-27790-0-19067900-1516574968_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 2