Isle of Man Diecast loco and tram

PaulRhB

Work in progress

Second attempt, this time using the more modern Branchlines chassis kit. Lots of surgery needed on the inside of the boiler and side tank section of the casting to remove fixing points, also the plastic cab and bunker needed a piece taking out where it fixes on to the boiler. The Oxford footplate is used as a base, again lots of surgery involved here. The Branchlines chassis goes together as instructions state, but about 2mm is removed from the rear to give a good fit. All wired up and tested, runs nicely, some weight will need to be added to the rear, maybe a fly wheel on the motor will fix this issue.

post-27244-0-16511500-1453843103_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

A little more progress with this over the last couple of days, video at

I have covered the inside of the diecast part of the body with insulating tape and fitted a brass flywheel to the rear of the motor to give some more weight to the back end of the loco. I have used the cylinder covers and front buffer beam from the Oxford model, so in future it will only be necessary to purchase a Branchlines chassis and completion kit to convert any more Oxford locos. Really pleased this has worked out, the only downside is that it has put the old Gem kits, which were great for their time, rather to shame

post-27244-0-20785400-1454079458_thumb.jpeg

post-27244-0-98540500-1454079669_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mike Buttell
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I ordered a pair of these, and they arrived just in time for me to give to my partner as a present for our wedding anniversary tomorrow. It may seem a strange present, but given that she regularly travelled on No.21 to school about fifty years ago, it isn't so strange. She has threatened to tell me where the heaters were in this car; something that's very important in freezing Manx winters.

This gives me an idea; perhaps I can find a figure of a girl in her school uniform, use that to represent her, and sit her in the appropriate seat.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So, buoyed by the success of the first, and lessons from its construction having been learned, I thought I would tackle another two. By changing the dome and chopping off the chimney and replacing it with a tapered Beyer chimney, and adding Branchlines name, number and makers plates, we now have "Loch"

post-27244-0-70164400-1457552563_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Followed by a much more ambitious project. Complete repaint and new lining, using Fox Transfers LNER lining in N scale and Humbrol 38 gloss darkened slightly with a touch of Matt black, Branchlines name and makers plates, G.H.Wood, some finishing off still to do on this.

post-27244-0-12469100-1457552743_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mike Buttell
  • Like 10

Followed by a much more ambitious project. Complete repaint and new lining, using Fox Transfers LNER lining in N scale and Humbrol 38 gloss darkened slightly with a touch of Matt black, Branchlines name and makers plates, G.H.Wood, some finishing off still to do on this.

Mike these adapted versions really look superb, I hope this spurs more Manx layouts. My great grand parents used to live near Peel Road on the Ramsey line, although they had long departed when I arrived. However I have enjoyed several holidays on the island and all its transport delights

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

For information, there is a new version of this model available to buy exclusively from IOM Railways. It should be for sale online shortly, but is in the Railways two shops now. The model is of number 13 Kissack, and comes in the dark green livery, lined white black white that the loco currently carries. I will post up some pictures later. There is also a new Manx Electric tram, although I have not looked closely enough to say which one

For information, there is a new version of this model available to buy exclusively from IOM Railways. It should be for sale online shortly, but is in the Railways two shops now. The model is of number 13 Kissack, and comes in the dark green livery, lined white black white that the loco currently carries. I will post up some pictures later. There is also a new Manx Electric tram, although I have not looked closely enough to say which one

M.E.R. car is Winter Saloon 19 in full 1900s 'The Manx Electric Railway Co Ltd' livery.

• 5 weeks later...