Southern Electric layout built in the 60's by Alan Williams

BEN LINE 457

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I recall a model layout of Victoria (4mm) in the Constructor many years ago. It wasn't an accurate representation but included the main features and it made a lasting impression on me. I cant remember the creator/modeller/author but does anyone recall any details or know or any info/links about it?

A long shot, I appreciate, but thanks in anticipation.

G

I recall a model layout of Victoria (4mm) in the Constructor many years aa It wasn't an accurate representation but included the main features and it made a lasting impression on me.

G

I wonder if you are not thinking of an 00 layout by L E Carroll (at least I think that's the name) which featured a four platform Victoria served by an out and back system with two token stations ostensibly Clapham Junction and East Croydon plus Reigate on a spur. Nothing like the prototype really but more of an operators line and very nicely done for all that. It was controlled by what the builder called linked section control whereby the signals determined which operator controlled the train. Rarely for the time it featured scratch built EMUs birdcage sets and Maunsells. It was probablythe first layout I had read about which featured trains that I recognised from my own experiences and I loved it!

I wonder if you are not thinking of an 00 layout by L E Carroll (at least I think that's the name) which featured a four platform Victoria served by an out and back system with two token stations ostensibly Clapham Junction and East Croydon plus Reigate on a spur. Nothing like the prototype really but more of an operators line and very nicely done for all that. It was controlled by what the builder called linked section control whereby the signals determined which operator controlled the train. Rarely for the time it featured scratch built EMUs birdcage sets and Maunsells. It was probablythe first layout I had read about which featured trains that I recognised from my own experiences and I loved it!

Quite possibly, and, I too loved it.

The station approaches were on a curve with parcels and stock stabling lines to the rear.

Does anyone know if there are any pics of it on the internet - I've not found any but that's not unusual for my searches.

G.

Quite possibly, and, I too loved it.

The station approaches were on a curve with parcels and stock stabling lines to the rear.

Does anyone know if there are any pics of it on the internet - I've not found any but that's not unusual for my searches.

G.

It featured in the 1979 Constructor Annual. I think this was a conglomeration of 3 Constructor Mag articles.

Lewis Carroll used the invite small groups to operate the layout on a Sunday afternoon which included tea and cakes by his good wife. I managed to attend once and after seeing his EMUS, it set me on a path of EMU building for many years.

Here's a shot of the title page in the annual. With respect to Ian Allan.

Great memories.

Dave Smith

post-509-0-35978500-1470512028_thumb.jpg

It featured in the 1979 Constructor Annual. I think this was a conglomeration of 3 Constructor Mag articles.

Lewis Carroll used the invite small groups to operate the layout on a Sunday afternoon which included tea and cakes by his good wife. I managed to attend once and after seeing his EMUS, it set me on a path of EMU building for many years.

Here's a shot of the title page in the annual. With respect to Ian Allan.

Great memories.

Dave Smith

That's it. Great stuff.

It showed me that model railways could actually represent what you saw in real life. It was quite a diversion from the usual fantasy bucolic backwater BLTs that seemed to festoon the mags.

G.

Archived