Railmatch Universal Primer

I've just airbrush primed an EMU with Railmatch Universal Primer and  it doesn't seem like primer.

A. It's not drying fast

B. It's actually more glossy than their normal paint

C. It's translucent as hell

D. Even though thinned, it goes on quite thick.

....everything you don't want from a primer

I mixed it thoroughly and I've got experience with airbrushing.

What's a better primer for airbrushing a white model?

Edited by Andrew F

Hello Andrew,

I too can't comment on Railmatch primer. I've never used it. Like many others I use Halfords rattle cans. If I were to airbrush primer I would use a cheap one from ebay rather than an expensive one. 

I did see an example of a brass plate sprayed with Phoenix etching primer and being very impressed. It was quite some time ago now. I have no idea how quickly railmatch primer should take to dry, but agree with Mick. 4 days seems too long.

Ian

Hello Andrew,

I too can't comment on Railmatch primer. I've never used it. Like many others I use Halfords rattle cans. If I were to airbrush primer I would use a cheap one from ebay rather than an expensive one. 

I did see an example of a brass plate sprayed with Phoenix etching primer and being very impressed. It was quite some time ago now. I have no idea how quickly railmatch primer should take to dry, but agree with Mick. 4 days seems too long.

Ian

I'll start by saying I'm not a hugely experienced airbrusher, but having spent a bit of time researching this and for the few times I have painted models, I have always used Halfords aerosol primer. I've been really impressed with the results.

For a white model, either use the Halfords white primer or the grey is quite light.

All the best

• 1 year later...

A belated addition to this thread... I've used Railmatch Universal Primer many times now and have to agree. It takes days to dry, it doesn't cover well and doesn't provide a good painting surface. I have also observed that the spray nozzle clogs well before the can is finished. Having assumed these problems were all self-inflicted I finally read this thread and realised that I'm not alone.  I won't be using it again! The other product I have been using, with much greater success is provided by Howes in an aerosol, a grey self-etching primer. Designed for use on metal it seems to work well on all surfaces.

Chris

Alton

Hampshire

Hi Andrew

I had the same problem when I tried using the Railmatch universal primer so never used it again.

I only use the Halfords primers now as they never let you down and the nozzles are easy to keep clear.

Depending on colour I am going to spray I use either the grey or white primer. They also do a yellow "filler" primer that is excellent as is their etch primer for metals.

Hope that helps.

Regards

John