The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Forest of Dean Special Commissions by Derails Models

Some OO stuff would be great, I know Hereford models have done a few in the past but the Berry Wiggins wagon in OO would be great. Also possibly severn and wye buildings, such as the buildings at Parkend, Whitecroft and lydney ect, or the buildings at Tintern and St.Briavels........which would suit me a treat!!!

Anything like these but in OO Gauge ?

2016-04-03-13.12.18%20ZS%20DMap_zpsq6hdi

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, thanks for the kind comments. We're considering OO for the Berry Wiggins however we'd like to get another couple of N gauge releases produced before we work up a scale!

Anyway, here's the finished N gauge model! Production is due in the next few weeks, probably early May, this is the latest and final sample. :)

34027458365_ac4f4ea26f_b.jpgNR-P916 Berry Wiggins Tar Tank by Derails Models, on Flickr

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 4

Lovely model.  A pity the overly large coupling shows up so much on N gauge.  I realise that's the standard over the years but it would appear that it could be 'shaved' somewhat without  hampering its operational capabilities, the overall look could be improved even on this size.  After all, OO couplings have got smaller since their inception.

Brian

Lovely model. A pity the overly large coupling shows up so much on N gauge. I realise that's the standard over the years but it would appear that it could be 'shaved' somewhat without hampering its operational capabilities, the overall look could be improved even on this size. After all, OO couplings have got smaller since their inception.

Brian

The huge couplings don't seem to notice much on wagons which even in the real world have prominent appendages. But they are killers on locos especially in photos. There is a corner of a window ledge in my train room with a small pile of front couplings I have pulled off N gauge locos. Then in photos even OO fans don't recognise they aren't "proper" model trains. One OO fan on a forum when reviewing Oct 2015 mag which featured my layout actually said he really enjoyed the Parkend layout article - but had to stop reading it halfway through when he suddenly found out it was N gauge. Edited by ParkeNd

• RMweb Gold

One OO fan on a forum when reviewing Oct 2015 mag which featured my layout actually said he really enjoyed the Parkend layout article - but had to stop reading it halfway through when he suddenly found out it was N gauge.

How bizarre, and disappointing.

One wonders whether his doctor had advised him against any kind of contact with 'N' gauge?

How bizarre, and disappointing.

One wonders whether his doctor had advised him against any kind of contact with 'N' gauge?

N gauge seems to generate strange reactions which, from my observation of multi-gauge websites, distill into :-

1. Looks great, I thought it was OO.

2. What's the point of fitting more into a domestic space if you can't see it.

3. Not interested, it's not my gauge. I walk straight past N gauge layouts at exhibitions.

I love N gauge because 7ft 6ins x 2ft 6ins gives you a lot of trains in a domestic house. But I have become accustomed (although it took a long time) to recognising it as a minority interest (<20% ?) compared with an 8x 3ft layout running OO trains which are 4ft long themselves. To my mind it arises from looking at OO locos in model shops then getting home and having to tough out "how the heck do I run this"? But probably only an N gauge practitioner would agree with me.

Edited by ParkeNd

Having run the whole scale thing from N to LGB size including a OO layout, I agree that unless you model in OO, you are considered an outcast.  Maybe not on this enlightened forum but certainly to the modeling world.  The general public has no particular preference where sizes are concerned although I think there is a preference for toy trains at shows.  They are perhaps more familiar or appealing  to ones memories, my tinplate contributions are well received, maybe for the same reasons.  This site, having visited the area on few occasions, is of interest to me for those reasons, familiarity and great modeling.  I should be included with item One on the list!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, thanks for the kind comments. We're considering OO for the Berry Wiggins however we'd like to get another couple of N gauge releases produced before we work up a scale!

Anyway, here's the finished N gauge model! Production is due in the next few weeks, probably early May, this is the latest and final sample. :)

34027458365_ac4f4ea26f_b.jpgNR-P916 Berry Wiggins Tar Tank by Derails Models, on Flickr

Must say that looks brilliant.

I think you'll be onto a winner if you do a OO version to this standard.

As an aside I don't think the 'South Eastern Gas Board' tar wagons seen at Whimsey have ever been produced. May be another option for you to consider?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all!

We're back! Our next wagon is now in-stock, a Cannop 7-plank. Only 100 in-stock at £9.50!

Click here to view the item

26379113097_44013efc3c_b.jpg

NR-P984 by Derails Models, on Flickr

The Cannop Colliery opened for business in 1910. Owned by a syndicate organised by Mr M. Maclean, the Colliery was one of the most expensive to operate as it required a lot of water to be pumped - for every ton of coal, 10 tons of water was also removed. The Colliery closed in 1960. Wagon 101 was delivered by Gloucester Carraige and Wagon works in 1912 and was part of a batch of 100 wagons.

The research and development of this wagon was aided considerably by the book "Private Owner Wagons of the Forest of Dean", written by Ian Pope and published by Lightmoor press. The book, although out of publication, can still be obtained using the ISBN number 1 899889 09 4 from a variety of sources, including the Dean Forest Railway.

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 1

Having cycled round the Family Trail from the cycle centre at Cannop this morning (imagining Panniers and D9500s in my minds eye), it would have been rude not to have acquired one. I'm sure they'd have turned up at Tintern occaisionally.

Thoroughly recommended.

Matt W

Edited by D826
  • Like 1

And here they are behind a 64xx in the Forest and at Parkend Station.

20170522-2017-05-22-21.55.39%20ZS%20DMap

20170522-2017-05-22-22.14.26%20ZS%20DMap

Ain't they grand. Well done Dan.

ParkeNd, miss your contributions on your layout and the Forest of Dean.

Brian.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

And, right on schedule, our latest commission will be rolling through the door next week!

The Norchard Colliery (near Lydney) opened for business in 1810 but only really opened 'full time' in 1890. The site provided most of its coal to the power-station situated just across the river, which at the time powered most of Gloucestershire. The colliery also provided coal elsewhere via its rail link, via Lydney Junction. The site was closed in 1957, with the power station closing 10 years later in 1967. In 1980, the Dean Forest Railway bought the Norchard Colliery and Power Station site and converted it into it's base, the site today houses the railway car-park, shop, cafe, museum and restoration sheds.

Wagon No. 846 was built in 1907 by the Gloucester Carriage and Wagon works. It is modelled here in the Norchard Grey livery with Black Shaded lettering, which it carried from new.

43331470412_e9bbc077f7_c.jpg

NR-P983 by Derails Models, on Flickr

Only £9.99, pre-order now for delivery next week - http://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2619

The research and development of this wagon was aided considerably by the book "Private Owner Wagons of the Forest of Dean", written by Ian Pope and published by Lightmoor press. The book, although out of publication, can still be obtained using the ISBN number 1 899889 09 4 from a variety of sources, including the Dean Forest Railway.

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 2

Still no 4mm tank wagons.....................................?

I found a Bachmann set of 3 BW tanks at an exhibition a couple of weeks ago but the price asked was silly.  Anyway, I don't think that all 3 of them were absolutely correct for the 'usual' FoD train.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still no 4mm tank wagons.....................................?

I found a Bachmann set of 3 BW tanks at an exhibition a couple of weeks ago but the price asked was silly.  Anyway, I don't think that all 3 of them were absolutely correct for the 'usual' FoD train.

Agree with 5050. Some of these commissioned from Bachmann would sell like hot cakes..

37549699925_43bef6eb47_c.jpg

37721629744_f31fb569f3_c.jpg

37721597474_091b67675d_c.jpg

Mine are from cheap old Mainline tanks with POWSides & Modelmaster transfers.  I've since finished adding the transfers to these wagons and given them a coat of matt varnish.

They await weathering.

It would be good for Derails to do a 3 pack of these including versions with the white 'Liquaphalt' sheild and sergeants stripes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-61812200-1537305757_thumb.jpg

I'd add my vote to the black Berry Wiggins liquaphalt Fetter Lane address version too. Mine too are a mixture of Bachmann and PECO with modelmasters decals.

post-68-0-61812200-1537305757_thumb.jpg

Edited by PMP
  • Like 5