The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Proposed New Layout - in The Forest!

As mentioned on a previous posting on another thread I have been threatening to build a layout based on the FoD for years.  The prototype location has been a point of conjecture for all this time but I have now decided that it will be Drybrook Road.  A very simple track plan but - if modeller's licence is applied and, in the late 50's/early 60's the line had never had the passenger service removed, all the collieries remained active, the Lydbrook branch still open and the Mineral Loop still in regular use - then a quite intensive service could be operated.  Plenty of coal traffic to and from Trafalgar and Crump collieries, auto-trains to Cinderford, Lydbrook trains reversing, freight traffic to and from Cinderford, possibly ballast trains from Whitecliff and Bitumen tanks from Whimsey, timber, bricks, biscuits.  I reckon there'll be plenty of scope.

The actual length of the trackwork from just before the slip to the Cinderford end loop point is, according to the plans in the S&W Vol 2 book, around a 1/4 of a mile but I'm going to have to compress this somewhat to fit into 8' which is about half what it should be (if my calculations are correct!). 

I have been given permission to build it in our clubrooms with a 2 year 'lease'.  Hopefully this will enthuse other members to try some 'scale' modelling rather than opening blue and red boxes.  Many of them have no idea at all what EM and P4 are or have preconceived ideas of 'elitism'.  Anyone who knows me will know I don't consider myself 'elite' (whatever it means in a modelling context!).

Here's a sketch of how it should/may/ought to appear -

post-807-0-90452300-1450805858_thumb.jpg

Fiddle yard arrangements are still being thought about but my general idea is for sector plate/pivoted cassettes at each end with possibly 2 hidden return tracks along the back behind the backscene.

It may be a while before I can post anymore about this but your constructive ideas are welcomed at any time!

• RMweb Premium

Excellent idea, Paul. I've often considered that Drybrook Road would make an interesting and offbeat model.  Having a double slip as the 'heart' of the layout is one of the most unusual features. Also lots of trees but not many buildings!

I'm assuming that this will be in P4 as your previous layouts.

David

• RMweb Gold

Although I've not been doing any modelling at all for the last year or so, I have been reading a lot about the Forest of Dean, and I've always thought that Drybrook Road would make a fantastic model.

I do wonder, though, if the service had been as 'intensive' as you propose, whether the track layout at the junction might have been augmented to suit. It was like it was, because of the relative paucity of services, even 'back in the day'. Having said that in my usual grumpy and churlish way, I'm full of admiration for this and really look forward to seeing it come to fruition. My own pastiche on Travellers Rest is still some years away, alas (assuming I ever get my mojo back), but you never know, if yours is to be P4 as well, there may be some opportunity to 'link up' at some future show!

And don't forget the chocolate machine at the Cinderford-end of the station building!

I'll be following this with interest.

Looking up Drybrook Road on Google I found this site, new to me, with some photos of railway remains in the Forest. Two pages, scroll down past the first three images to start the FoD stuff. Some interesting places right on my doorstep, I need to get out more.

http://www.crjennings.com/The%20Remains%20of%20Britains%20Steam%20Age%20Railway/Rems%2022.html

Looks an interesting plan, good luck with this.

Have you seen Dave Spencer's Lydgate layout which is built on a similar premise? It was in Model Rail about 6 months ago and is well executed as Dave is a top modeller. Dave is not on here but if there is any specific details etc you are struggling with then I can ask him next time I see him.

I'll be following this with interest.

Looking up Drybrook Road on Google I found this site, new to me, with some photos of railway remains in the Forest. Two pages, scroll down past the first three images to start the FoD stuff. Some interesting places right on my doorstep, I need to get out more.

http://www.crjennings.com/The%20Remains%20of%20Britains%20Steam%20Age%20Railway/Rems%2022.html

Thanks Arthur, some nice photos there - although I'm surprised that details of the NG loco at Hawthorn Tunnel aren't known.  Plenty of info in Iain Pope's books.

Oh, and thanks for all the 'Likes' in the first post.  Quite unexpected.

• 4 weeks later...

For a compact layout of the size proposed I suggest that a comprehensive model of Marsh Wharf at Parkend might fit the bill. It is maybe ideal for solving the conundrum of the default choice of OO in not enough space. Fit in all the sidings, the Wharf itself, and the run down as far as the first crossing gates with Railway Cottages on one side of the track and Fountain Inn on the other. Plenty of other cottages to model, choice of 57xx panniers, Class 22, 14, 25, and the occasional 37 diesels, and log and ballast loads. The. there's the original beam crane, the wooden goods shed while that was there. Much more going on than the reality of passenger days at many of the fondly remembered locations with single passengers and one coach trains.

• RMweb Premium

When somebody has spent a deal of time and effort thinking about a layout project, coming up with a prototype and a layout design, is it really very helpful to start suggesting to them what they should be building instead?

I would think that the premise on traffic flows is more to allow a variety of traffic rather than to make it like a miniature Kings Cross.

That is a nice looking plan and I hope to see it in the flesh before too long, so get on with it Paul!

Tony

When somebody has spent a deal of time and effort thinking about a layout project, coming up with a prototype and a layout design, is it really very helpful to start suggesting to them what they should be building instead ---------------.

I hadn't planned to generate any bad temper but thought others who read the thread might be contemplating a similar sized layout based on a FOD location - the Forest really is a very good theme for a model railway layout.  Marsh Wharf was very compact with basically three lines on the left, and two on the right - rather less than Kings Cross.

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't planned to generate any bad temper but thought others who read the thread might be contemplating a similar sized layout based on a FOD location - the Forest really is a very good theme for a model railway layout.  Marsh Wharf was very compact with basically three lines on the left, and two on the right - rather less than Kings Cross.

I think I read in the new Neil Parkhouse book about 'there being no model of the Marsh branch', and it got me thinking. Doing something based on that, although perhaps set elsewhere (but not too far away!), is something that I'm thinking about.

• RMweb Premium

No bad temper intended here either.

My post probably didn't come over quite as "tongue in cheek" as I intended!

There does seem to be a bit of a surge of interest in Forest of Dean projects and it is indeed an interesting railway backwater worthy of the attention.

I think I read in the new Neil Parkhouse book about 'there being no model of the Marsh branch', and it got me thinking. Doing something based on that, although perhaps set elsewhere (but not too far away!), is something that I'm thinking about.

I read that too, & did think of our friend ParkeNd's N scale layout, although I'm sure he'd agree his Marsh Wharf is more representative than prototype, due to space understandably.

In O scale, one could commision some of those radio-control lorries from the RMweb member who built that "End of the Line"(?) layout with working tipplers :sungum:

I read that too, & did think of our friend ParkeNd's N scale layout, although I'm sure he'd agree his Marsh Wharf is more representative than prototype, due to space understandably.------------------------------

That's true - I just wanted somewhere for my ballast trains to arrive FROM so made the Wharf notional rather than comprehensive. But with the right quantity of rails and points it could be a great project.

_DSC0416_zpshci6xccc.jpg

For a model of Marsh Sidings you may want to have a look here:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36645-pixies-workbench-autumnal-reawakening/page-11And with working tipper truck!David

:O :o :O wish I hadn't looked!! :( As someone who failed utterly to make a working Class 14 chassis in 7mm scale, that 2mm f/s stuff is just awe inspiring!!

In preparation for the intended loco 'fleet' for this layout I have been trawling through books and noting loco numbers.  Possibly more than you might think!  After this I again trawled through the 4mm scale number plate suppliers (Kings Cross, ModelMaster/Jackson Evans, 247 Developments, CGW) and found that virtually all the numbers are available - or at least on their lists.

I've put the list on an Excel  spreadsheet if anyone's interested.

• RMweb Gold

In preparation for the intended loco 'fleet' for this layout I have been trawling through books and noting loco numbers.  Possibly more than you might think!  After this I again trawled through the 4mm scale number plate suppliers (Kings Cross, ModelMaster/Jackson Evans, 247 Developments, CGW) and found that virtually all the numbers are available - or at least on their lists.

I've put the list on an Excel  spreadsheet if anyone's interested.

Hi Paul, that would be interesting to see, yes please if you don't mind posting the information, thanks.

MDF for boards now purchased and the first session of deciding the actual form the construction will take tomorrow morning.

Watch this space!

But remember to keep breathing......................

• 3 weeks later...

A start has been made!!  GTi and I started the first scenic board earlier this week and got the basics done.  Next week may well be a no-no for various reasons but we should have something to show pretty soon.  I also have the Templot plan printed (thanks to Chris and Jamie) which, although it is relatively simple, has shown up a couple of areas that might need extra consideration before track laying commences.  In addition, I have ordered and received laser cut sleeper 'templates' from Timber Traks for the slip and points.  I thought I might as well get the points at the same time as the slip.  They will/should hopefully save some time when track building.  My intention is to build them with a combination of rivets and plastic chairs, this worked well with my 'Lower Pandy' layout (which was started 20 years ago!!!).  One thing about the laser cut points has been a bit of a surprise though - the slip seems to be designed for P4 in that the inter-sleeper 'webs' are gauged to P4 but the points seem to be OO.  I'm sure I can mange though :boast:

With my mate Bryan we've been calculating how many mineral wagons we have between us.  With Bryan's stock of newish Bachmann steel s and ex-PO's and my motley collection of still unbuilt kits, kit built and proprietary bodies on kit chassis we appear to have well over 30.  I picked up 4 Bachmann PO's at Normanton Show for an excellent price and I am rather impressed by their standard.  It will be a bit of a shame to have to re-paint and distress them.

• 3 weeks later...

The 2 main scenic boards have now been basically completed with pattern makers dowels etc. fitted.  They will next be heavily matt varnished to seal the MDF against moisture etc.  Track centres will then be marked from the Templot plan and underlay fitted - I'm still not sure what to use. Cork is the usual choice and it is useful in that it can be sanded etc. to ensure a flat and level surface but I was wondering about closed cell foam?  Anyone any comments to make on this subject? (helpful ones prefered :angel: ).

Here are some photos I took when the main scenic area track bases were attached but before we fitted the rear 'return fiddle track bases'.

This is the right hand scenic board with the Cinderford line going to the left and the Mineral Loop to the right.  The viewing side is the one next to the wall away from the camera.

post-807-0-15864500-1456853083_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-49538000-1456853098_thumb.jpg

The space between the track base edge and the baseboard frame edge on the left is for the 5" wide return fiddle track bases to fit.  These will be on a gradual grade (18mm in 5' so quite slight) but as all trains will have an engine attached then the danger of runaways should be negligible.

post-807-0-94840000-1456853128_thumb.jpg

The datum level is on the line to Serridge at the left end of the left scenic board and we have arranged for this to climb at approximately the same 1 in 40 as the prototype to be 18mm above datum when it reaches the double slip.  This is the reason for the risers, some of which still had to be planed down to to create the smooth incline transition.  The Trafalgar Colliery line will climb up away from the double slip on a slightly steeper gradient.  Viewing side here is the one next to the camera.

post-807-0-58367600-1456853112_thumb.jpg

Here the risers have been planed to suit the main line grade and the track bases fitted.  The Trafalgar Branch track base end is till 'floating' until we decide how much to raise it.  The 'flat area' in the distance alongside the track position is for the signal box location. I will be constructing this using a drawing of 'Deeside Loop' box by Harry Leadbetter in the Feb '73 MRC but extended by another sliding window in the upper centre section and with 4 windows in the lower section.  Thankfully the GWR tended to standardise on basic measurements!  Viewing side of the layout is now the one away from the camera.

post-807-0-06298500-1456853142_thumb.jpg

Now we have to decide on a design for the Fiddle Yard boards.  I have decided to use traversers as the tracks are all exiting the scenic boards at 90'.  However, the Trafalgar branch will have to have a cassette as a fixed higher level track would foul the traverser.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently engaged in 'having a go' at the double slip using the Templot plan and some of the sleepers salvaged from the Timber Tracks laser cut unit - which I couldn't get to correlate with any template I have.

If anyone reading this has built a DS then I would be very pleased to learn how you did it!  Martyn Wynne has been very helpful with dimensions etc.over on the S4 Society forum but so far, no actual 'hands on' help has been forthcoming.  I'm sure I will be able to manage it but some practical advice would be nice :locomotive:

Photos of my efforts so far to follow (shortly?).

Archived