big jim's workbench...onto figures and buildings

big jim

• RMweb Gold

A bit more done, when I revisited Mentor earlier I realised I'd put a number of the windows in the wrong way round (there is an inside and outside to them) luckily is only used glue and glaze so they were easy enough to remove, clean the recess' and reglue the frames in with superglue this time

I wanted to get them in without touching the glue or getting any on the body sides so this is what I did....

Frame ready to fit

7404997E-BF20-4829-BA0C-F97E1E09E5D6.jpg

Stick it to low tack masking tape

E6CD04C3-56C8-47F8-B36A-9320B2478BC2.jpg

Glue the rear

56AF68C4-874B-463A-9BBA-A0D95BD607BC.jpg

And position with the tape

8BA76918-7CD0-4EE3-AE98-E639439F581D.jpg

And repeat until all windows are in

9D35253F-BBDE-4CD3-BD3C-987CD58D8C9B.jpg

Then I glued on the fiddly door hinges

975C6667-F048-4FDF-A733-42D2E14BA905.jpg

And Sorted!

7562B1F5-8BC0-4A39-B1C5-55CC8F65EA9A.jpg

Also added the fire pull handle surrounds to the genny end of the coach

I gave it a quick coat of primer by brush to see how it looked but it went on poorly so I took it off again, wasn't until afterwards I remembered I'd need etch primer to go straight onto the cleaned/buffed up metal sides, unfortunately the thinners I used to remove the primer have reacted with the plasticard and Hornby roof a bit so I'll have to rub them down with wet and dry to get a smooth surface again, not a major issue but something I'll need to do before retrying the primer, I think I'll also get the airbrush up and running for that now the weather is warmer as I 'should' get a better finish

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can help, don't know if it has moved about since then but this page has a floor plan and some pics http://www.traintesting.com/Mentor.htm

It's had at least one, if not two big rebuilds in between. The 2013 job moved quite a few windows around, so the internal arrangements could have altered.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

i think the interior now bears very little resemblance to how it originally looked, the biggest change being the fitting of a generator which takes up a fair bit of space

the roof window seats are accessed by steps from the vestibule and are quite 'laid back', extremely comfortable and watching the wires is very relaxing as ive done a couple of times while travelling in the coach on bit of jobs where im travelling passenger and having a break away from the loco

anyway, got some etch primer, tetrosyl, from a local motor factors and gave the coach a light coat, went on lovely, will have to have a look at the roof window etches again as when i reglued them after rubbing down the plasticard ive not done a good job of getting them straight!

3DC4F280-24DB-4D70-B270-653DE8D72D9B.jpg

63CBEE20-24AC-4EA0-AB8B-1B8A5F8AD2CF.jpg

couple of places to add a bit more squadron putty to on the roof now the primer has shown up any imperfections

• RMweb Gold

Fired up the airbrush earlier, took me a while to clean as last time I used it I forgot to properly strip it and clean out so it was gunged up

Gave Mentor a first top coat of Phoenix network rail yellow which has gone on very nicely even over the grey primer, will need another coat but that can wait until after the weekend to give this coat plently of time to go off

19113A9C-7F74-4C4B-8506-6D1C47C2CA40.jpg

C2333E13-627D-4299-B41C-19C7759182D0.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jim. Shane is doing me a full set for my Royal Scotsman build and I will be getting a load of custom laser cut windows as well so I will wait to order them until I have the frames to measure. I'm guessing Glue and Glaze is what you'll be using to fit windows to the frames?

Edited to correct Fat finger errors!

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

yeah, im going to use glue and glaze on them, next job is the roof though

anyone know of a producer of a bracknell wills pantograph, i think hurst used to do them, wonder if anyone does a 3D printed one?

Use the contact page to send me a message and I will send you the info.

You will have to assemble the panto.

Can the pantograph be posed after assembly or do you have to build it in the final position your require. Either way it looks the business

• RMweb Gold

Hurst Models supplies have been very erratic over the last 2-3 years.

Luckily I have two secreted away for MENTOR and 977993.

Cheers,

Mick

You may need 3 if you read that text message I sent you earlier in the week!

• RMweb Premium

You may need 3 if you read that text message I sent you earlier in the week!

I did wonder at that.

As it happens, I've just checked my stock of Hurst BW pantograph kits.

I have seven.......... :O

And before anyone asks. :no:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

"one final question, my model has the wrong bogies, do Hornby do suitable ones on any coaches in their range?"

I don't know if Hornby do the correct ones but if not take a look at Replica Railways site as they do bogie kits for a few different types, could be something there suitable.

"one final question, my model has the wrong bogies, do Hornby do suitable ones on any coaches in their range?"

I don't know if Hornby do the correct ones but if not take a look at Replica Railways site as they do bogie kits for a few different types, could be something there suitable.

Unfortunately they are not a straight swap and will require some modding. Hornby really did miss a trick not offering diffrent bogie sets like Bachmann did at under £20 a coach