NCB Lancashire Shift changes and Paddy Trains

HI Guys,

Another question for the Industrial "Brains Trust"!

On the new layout I'm building, the 'virtual' colliery is a fair way from the Branch Station (at the other end of the fiddleyard).

I want to run Workman's Trains made up of ancient 4whl coaches, from the branch terminus to the colliery corresponding with the change of shift times.

I wonder what the normal shift change times would have been on the Lancashire Coalfields in the early 1960's ?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanx,

Frank Savery,

w-a-y diown south in Tasmania

Would there also have been a day shift? Many 24 hour industry's, steelworks for example, had 24 hour coverage of the main processes but some of the support functions (engineering/maintenance shops for example) ran on day shifts.

• 3 weeks later...

6am start for day shift

2pm start fro back shift

10pm start for night shift

This was standard for all NCB collieries. Trains would run before those times of course for miners going to work.

In the late 60s, the BR (WR) DMU diagram(s) for the Bridgend - Treherbert service included unadvertised workmen's services for staff at the Duffryn Rhondda washery just south of Cymmer Afan.

The early DMU (bubble car) reversed at Cymmer Afan and ran down the truncated R&SB to Duffryn Rhondda to drop off the 'day/night' shift and collect the night/day' shift.

This service outlived the better known Cymmer Corrwg - Glyncorrwg - South Pit service where a pannier propelled three coaches for colliers.

Nothing to do with Lancashire, but I just can't help myself ......................

Brian R

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Would there also have been a day shift? Many 24 hour industry's, steelworks for example, had 24 hour coverage of the main processes but some of the support functions (engineering/maintenance shops for example) ran on day shifts.

For the benefit of future students of a long gone industry.

Whilst 24 hr coal production was achieved in a few pits in the later years, in the early 1960s each shift had a particular focus of activity. Broadly speaking, the night shift drilled and exploded charges, the day shift loaded coal and the afternoon shift advanced the roof girders and infrastructure. This changed with the introduction of "walking" chocks and increasingly automated coal cutting machines.