Manxcat

Masochist!  4 x "call me Dave" is just too much to contemplate. However, we can offer Chas n Dave from within our group as another distraction as long as they don't emulate their repertoire. Comfortingly our Chas has good taste in music (at least in my opinion).

…as long as he doesn't bring his Banjo..wot..he hasn't told you about that?

I think the world and I need clarification on some of this worrying Dave situation. Can anyone tell me if Mad McCann (something nice, if not Welsh, about having a double letter in your name) is Dave "Mad" McCann or Mad "Dave" McCann?

Oh definitely Mad 'Dave' McCann..the scourge of the late night revellers on the last train to Workington.

Dave..!

Anyway, back to Model Rail Scotland 2016.

Intense activity at Scottish Region Study Group headquarters, fettling and prepping Alloa for the anniversary show, discussing logistics of jumbo van hires, digressing onto what exactly Larbert looked like at 2.30pm on 7th July 1961, scrabbling over the the wee fruit tarts that someone brought to curry favour and being overwhelmed by numbers when calling "Dave, can you give me a hand here". Very much looking forward to yet another great show and hope that rail services will have recovered sufficiently to make it a pleasant trip for our long distance visitors.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you have seen the article in the model press recently about Glasgow & West of Scotland's N gauge layout Glenburn. Either way come to the show and see it in the flesh, even if you just want to admire the wonderful control panel.

post-14517-0-04214500-1452284885_thumb.jpg

post-14517-0-37236100-1452284899_thumb.jpg

I've actually managed to persuade my Dad to go to this exhibition, it's one I've always wanted to visit but never had the chance. We'll be getting the train from Morpeth, changing at Waverley and walking from Queen st to Central and then getting the train to the centre (and then the reverse journey going home!).

As it's the first time visiting and due to the fact we'll be there for at least 5-6 hours we would like to know more about catering. We'll probably bring something for lunch, so the first question is as follows - is there somewhere we can sit down and have some lunch?

We've tried to see what facilities there are at the venue for drinks and snacks but all we've found is the centre's bar/restaurant and a McDonalds near the centre's station. Is there anywhere at or very close to the centre, where you can just have something like tea/coffee/soft drinks and a biscuit?

thanks

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I've actually managed to persuade my Dad to go to this exhibition, it's one I've always wanted to visit but never had the chance. We'll be getting the train from Morpeth, changing at Waverley and walking from Queen st to Central and then getting the train to the centre (and then the reverse journey going home!).

As it's the first time visiting and due to the fact we'll be there for at least 5-6 hours we would like to know more about catering. We'll probably bring something for lunch, so the first question is as follows - is there somewhere we can sit down and have some lunch?

We've tried to see what facilities there are at the venue for drinks and snacks but all we've found is the centre's bar/restaurant and a McDonalds near the centre's station. Is there anywhere at or very close to the centre, where you can just have something like tea/coffee/soft drinks and a biscuit?

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

There are a wide range of onsite eating facilities - what will make the difference is how much you want to spend.

Non of them are exactly cheap, but they are available.

If cost is the issue - then a visit to McDonalds covers that end of the spectrum.

There is no public food outlet in the hall. (edit to reflect Archies comment)

There are other seating areas available within the hall and in the foyer.

For those in the foyer you will be able to get a 'pass out' stamp that enables re-entry to the show on the same day as tickets are valid for.

If you have any further queries - just ask!

Thanks

thanks

Mike

Mike

If your travelling on the Sat there should be a direct train..Voyager I presume.. from Morpeth to Glasgow Central..07.51 Morpeth &  10.15 Central.

X Country run services from Glasgow Central to Edinburgh Newcastle York Leeds etc etc to Birmingham and the West country and some call at Morpeth.

Then its a ten minute trip from the Low Level station to Exhibition Centre.

When booking tickets to Glasgow state Exhibitionn Centre as destination ..it should be same price and save you re booking..which will save a couple of quid or so too.

Return would need to be from Queen St changing at Waverley though as no through trains later in day.

These are for the Saturday but if coming on Fri there might be more choice…although this is all assuming the place is back to normal by then after all the flood damage.

On catering Scottish Modeller has pretty well covered it but you will no doubt hear many comments from others regarding quality and pricing..but thats common to most big shows.

The McDonalds is close by and you would retrace your steps back up over the covered walkway to the station and then its about another 100 yards.

Enjoy the show.

Dave.

Mike, or anyone else worried about catering, if sandwiches will suffice, I suggest that you visit the  Boots shop in Glasgow Central and try some of their Meal Deals - sandwich, crisps & soft drink for about £3.80.

Jim

last time I was at the SECC (December) I had a very good burger and chips at the sit down eatery at the east end of the concourse. Half decent pint too. There's also a big hotel attached to the centre on the Clyde side that has a selection of restaurants but they'd be pricey.  

• RMweb Gold

Mike W2,

Scottish Modeller has given you some inaccurate information which I'd like to correct.

This year, the only two food stands within the hall will be Woody's Ice Cream and The Galloway Fudge Company. Instead, for the first time, all other catering which we arrange with the SECC team will be in the concourse, just outside the hall. I cannot tell you exactly what this will include yet because our meeting with the SECC and their catering company to finalise the position is not until the 19th of January. A hand stamping arrangement will allow easy access to and from the concourse.

As others have said, there are also the usual fixed food outlets elsewhere on the concourse. There will be no sandwich and coffee/tea caravan in the hall nor any coffee carts.

This year there will be three blocks of seating within the hall. There will also, as usual, be seats along some of the wall opposite the tickets desks and entry doors outside in the concourse. So if you do bring your own food you should find a seat or two. Again, as has been said before, the Friday of the show sees many more visitors than the Saturday or Sunday so come on one of those instead, if it suits you.

Archie Brown,

Chairman, AMRSS 

Mike, or anyone else worried about catering, if sandwiches will suffice, I suggest that you visit the  Boots shop in Glasgow Central and try some of their Meal Deals - sandwich, crisps & soft drink for about £3.80.

Jim

Just £3.30 :ok: The blt is a belter!

Layout dismantled and difficult to access areas like the harbour tunnel are receiving some overdue maintenance to track work and points.

No more wee DH 0-4-0 shunters entering the gloom and not appearing oot the other end..I think Mike managed to 'lose' at least three locos in there last time out!

post-2371-0-39919000-1452648578_thumb.jpeg

Dave.

Layout dismantled and difficult to access areas like the harbour tunnel are receiving some overdue maintenance to track work and points.

No more wee DH 0-4-0 shunters entering the gloom and not appearing oot the other end..I think Mike managed to 'lose' at least three locos in there last time out!

attachicon.gifDSC_0853 - Version 2_2.jpeg

Dave.

Aye, latterly it's been a case of "to boldly go"! ......rumours of Lord Lucan and Shergar lurking in there.

…the Black Hole of Clackmannan..

Wasn't that a song by Andy Stewart, or was it Kenneth Mc Kellar? (No doubt Cherry Wainer would have been playing the Hammond)

Glasgow here we come...

P

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to flying the flag for Narrow Gauge modelling with my own layout own "Alstone Quay" appearing at Glasgow.

A bit of change from last years visit to Glasgow with the Stafford Railway Circle club flagships layout "Whiteaces"

Really looking forward to Glasgow providing I survive exhibiting at our own club exhibition at Stafford.

In all my years exhibiting with different layouts, I have never exhibited at my own club exhibition due to until recently being exhibition manager.

Come and say hello.

Terry

Looking forward to flying the flag for Narrow Gauge modelling with my own layout own "Alstone Quay" appearing at Glasgow.

A bit of change from last years visit to Glasgow with the Stafford Railway Circle club flagships layout "Whiteaces"

Really looking forward to Glasgow providing I survive exhibiting at our own club exhibition at Stafford.

In all my years exhibiting with different layouts, I have never exhibited at my own club exhibition due to until recently being exhibition manager.

Come and say hello.

Terry

Terry,

We took Alloa to Stafford in 2012. Excellent exhibition but my goodness, was it cold on set-up day! I recall you closed early on the Sunday as it was snowing. Hope weather kinder to you this year and I'm sure you'll be warmly welcomed in Glasgow.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Terry,

We took Alloa to Stafford in 2012. Excellent exhibition but my goodness, was it cold on set-up day! I recall you closed early on the Sunday as it was snowing. Hope weather kinder to you this year and I'm sure you'll be warmly welcomed in Glasgow.

Mike

Hi Mike

Yes 2012 is a year we won't forget as the weather was not very kind to us.

Having exhibited with both club and fellow club members layouts at Glasgow over recent years it can be also be bit nippy up at the SEC

But us railway modellers are hardy folk.

Look forward to meeting up at the exhibition

Terry

Hello

John and I will be there with our new layout, 'Fenchurch St Peter' making it's debut on the exhibition circuit. It will also feature in the March edition of Railway Modeller out in February to tie in with the exhibition. Green diesels in East Anglia in 1967, what more could you ask for. We will also be  joined by our new celebrity guest operator.

Cheers

George

Hope the wcml will be okay come hell or high water the weather wont stop me coming to the show !

WCML CLOSED TILL MARCH!!!!!!!!!! Rail Magazine just put on their site more damage found to the bridge, so it looks like I'm going to have to get a refund for my train tickets and miss the show for the first time in ten years. 

I would check what services are continuing on over the diversionary route via Dumfries..could treat it as an interesting diversion to your day..and of course 45mins.

Onward coach travel if used is on M74..motorway straight into heart of Glasgow and again about extra 45mins required and not a bad journey.

Or if you are travelling from south west through Birmingham/Sheffield/Leeds etc normal service straight to Glasgow Central via east coast.

Hope to see you there.

Dave. 

Archived