Manxcat

Hi Nobby,

Thanks for the evidence!

As you can see from my face I was a bit surprised (and shocked) to get money so quickly!

If you look closer you can see that I got more than the note in my hand - the first one fell off and is almost on the demo/cutting mat.

You can also see some of the collection of rolling stock that I have been working on for the Yakima project that has it's own thread on here.

I also notice you can see the other major project that I gained to do at the show! 2 Langley canal boats for a Cumbernauld member.

Yes - they both got completed over the show!

You can also see evidence of the 'Back To Black' figure painting demo using the Modelu 'Big Jim' figures. More on this once I find the camera.

So - yes, another good Modelrail Scotland show!

If you said 'hello' - thanks but I probably won't have recognised you from here unless you said your user name as well!

What next?

Wait and see - already planning for next years show.

Thanks

It's probably because I bought a loco of Charlie and gave him £100 in cash. If he had smiled any wider he would have swallowed his ears.

Nice to have a quick chat with you as well Phil while you were painting the canvas for the canal barges. Your paint was drying out quicker than the ink on that note Charlie was handing you in the photo.

Who were the winners of the various trophies etc. does anyone know?

From the competitions page on the Model Rail Scotland website :

Model Rail Scotland 2016 Competitions

Overall Best In Show :

The Worlds End

Best Visiting Layout :

1st - The Worlds End

2nd - Whispering hollow

3rd - Glenfinnan

Best Association Layouts :

1st - Alloa

2nd - Law Junction

3rd : Hewisbridge

Andy

AMRSS Webmaster

SHOCK HORROR NEWS STORY.

Incredible evidence caught as it appears that Charlie Petty does in fact own a wallet which contains money.

This amazing photographic evidence was caught by me as he handed over some dosh to Phil "the hit man " Holman at the show on Saturday.

It's amazing what one can do with "Photo Shop" but is Charlie giving that white fiver or taking it? :triniti:

• RMweb Premium

He was probably just swapping Scottish notes for English ones before heading South on Sunday!

Yes but what was the exchange rate - there must have been a profit in the transaction . . . . . . . .

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

No need for photoshop - I can confirm that this event did occur and Charlie did give me money - not the other way around.

You are correct though - I was given Scottish notes!

Mind you - if it had been white fivers, I would have been well in pocket as I've seen them go for as much as £40.00 each!

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I bet there will be not as many picture of Charlies wallet in the Glasgow Herald report than there was of a certain Mr Franks in the Press & Journal inter-webby column.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/best-pictures/846217/pictures-model-railways-show-amazing-tiny-version-scotland

Has your agent been on to them yet for appearance fees?

P

That is a very nice article the Glasgow Herald have covered the exhibition set up well and that's what is needed to get some Local folk into the show.

All too often the coverage appears the following week in a look what you missed sort of article usually with little kids looking at the most bizarre scene that our hobby can cunjour up just so the kiddies grannie and auntie buy the photo from the paper.

Even when the coverage is pre show they usually want you to bend double with your face 2 inches from the loco wearing an engine drivers hat with a whistle in your mouth and holding a flag. They always want you to touch the loco, they just don't get it... Not touching is the whole point.

Even if the Glasgow Herald photos were posed it doesn't look like it. Ok the one with dmu does at least he wasn't made to wear a hat.

Andy

Well, various members of the Peco team have been telling me for ages what a good exhibition it is, high standard of modelling & very friendly, so I'm finally going to head north in February.

(Actually, I did visit once before  - about 45 years ago when the show was in the middle of the city - McClellan Galleries? - but that was another time, another life!)

I've persuaded Mrs DevonSS that she'd really like to see the art galleries & the Charles Rennie Wotsit stuff, so while she does that I'll be in the SECC.  And we can have a couple of days looking around together, destinations depending on the weather!  (any suggestions gratefully received).

The dog's booked into his holiday cottage for a few days, I bought an advance ticket at Warley, we've got what seems like a good hotel deal and early booking the flights from Exeter cost little more than a train to London.  Really looking forward to it.

All I'm hoping now is that the hotel breakfasts are good (!) and that the clansmen are as friendly towards a Sassenach as I've been led to believe  .  .  .  .

Hi Graham, Hope you enjoyed the show and Mrs found the art galleries. were the clansmen as friendly as you hoped? I found them extremely friendly in fact so friendly we relocated to the Outer Hebrides some nine years ago and never regretted it, even when it is blowing a hoole. Dee you both next prehaps Alan in the very wet Outer Hebrides    

• RMweb Gold

From the competitions page on the Model Rail Scotland website :

Model Rail Scotland 2016 Competitions

Overall Best In Show :

The Worlds End

Best Visiting Layout :

1st - The Worlds End

2nd - Whispering hollow

3rd - Glenfinnan

Best Association Layouts :

1st - Alloa

2nd - Law Junction

3rd : Hewisbridge

Andy

AMRSS Webmaster

There was also a one-off "Chairman's Model Rail Scotland 50th Anniversary Trophy" which was awarded to Hewisbridge.

• RMweb Gold

On the Sunday I left the Treasurer's room to pick up the cash box for the sale proceeds from the limited edition Class 08 for the last time during the show. A visitor I did not know came up and said to me "Do you know what I do?" I told him I did not and he said that he puts £10 a week aside and the week before Model Rail Scotland draws it all out of his bank to spend at the show. He was well laden with bags of goodies. He confided in me that he had £90 left and could not decide what to buy.

I leapt at the opportunity to sell another 08. I gave him ten minutes of hard sell and he asked where they were based and where they worked. A colleague behind the counter, who was far more knowledgeable in that regard than I was, gave him all the detail he needed. I took over again with another 5 minutes of good reasons to buy one. One-off, never to be repeated, must have item and he had all the cash he needed to buy it, etc. He turned to walk away and I said "Go on, you know you want to". He turned, took out his wallet, took out the cash, paused and said "Nah, not today" and walked away.

This is why you don't want me on your team if you are a project manager on The Apprentice.

Archie

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, who judges the awards? Is it a AMRSS panel?

No, we want it to be quite independent on the judging front so it is usually an invited guest. Tony Wright was one judge this year and I know Steve Flint, editor of Railway Modeller, has been a judge too.

Since the Chairman's 50th Anniversary Trophy was a one-off, awarded by me, I judged that one myself. This meant my own club's layout was sadly ruled out of even being considered for the trophy. The trophy was restricted to layouts from AMRSS member clubs only. I marked every layout on a number of criteria which included, scenery, rolling stock, running qualities, lighting, overall presentation and interaction with the show visitors. In the end only one point separated the winner, Hewisbridge by the 57 Study Group, from the second placed layout.

Archie

Archived