Wigan Wallgate

katwigan

Good to see "Thowd Iron Bridge" Kat. A nice model

Spent some hours of my youth there head through the diamond girders spitting down the chimneys of passing steam locos, and getting an eyeful of cinders and smoke !!!

Great days.

Brit15

• Like 1

Rooting round the loft this afternoon I came across this. Unfortunately no date. Wigan Wallgate goods yard.

post-6884-0-69437400-1453402692_thumb.jpg

Found some other stuff Wigan related (not Wallgate) so I'll stick em on the Wigan thread ASAP,

Brit15

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh cheers for the pic, having determined that it was a picture of the pointwork that I had just re-laid to include the curved diamond crossing now you show me a trailing point adjacent to the guards van (?) in the picture. As it is the first pic I have seen looking in this direction including the pointwork I guess it's a good job it's only pinned down and not glued and ballasted.  :O  :no:

Anyway I have been knocking up a few buildings adjacent to this shot for the back of King St.

post-19569-0-82313500-1454765816_thumb.jpg

post-19569-0-36665500-1454766031_thumb.jpg

post-19569-0-27699000-1454766096_thumb.jpg

Most of the buildings shown are built up from photos of the original buildings several hours spent cutting, pasting and correcting perspective on the computer before printing out  on self adhesive label paper and sticking it onto a sort of plasticy fluted board. Because it is 'plasticy' it doesn't seem to have the predilection for bending quite as much as foamboard that I have used previously and of course using the self adhesive label paper negates the requirement for pva glue or similar that also wants to help thing bend because of getting it 'wet' on one side only.

A couple of the buildings  had to have educated (?) guesses in determining size shape and colour as they have been long gone or the pics I had were b&w, long distance or old aerial shots, all in all though I 'm quite happy with the general appearance / layout of them in an undetailed sort of way. ( Wigginers among us comments please) ( derisive or otherwise )

Deb and I are having a major clean up in here at the moment as it is way past looking like a bomb has gone off ! Anyway with it being mid 30's again this week gardening will be out of the question so I may get a few more done before she we finish tidying up.

Cheers all 

Kevan

• Like 2

Very nice work Kat, as a Wiganer I'd say your buildings are spot on. The rear of these buildings was (and still is) very tatty. Again I like the "curved girder" bit of the Iron Bridge. Will you be modelling the mid-bridge "steps up" ?

25612095.jpg

ironbr1.jpg

ironbr2.jpg

This is todays new "Iron Bridge". The new multi storey car park at North Western station curtailed the original route. Dreadful bit of Wigan these days unfortunately.

9574047307_a1488bde8c_c.jpg

This may be of interest also.

paz1j461.jpg

Brit15

• Like 7

Thanks Appollo, yes mate I will be modelling the " steps up" bit, actually I was having a look last night as to how far 'up' it went vs needed to go and along you pop with a photo showing the steps ! ( in plenty of time , this time  :yahoo: )

I hadn't seen the view from the County end before either, it is a bit of a nuisance living so far away having to rely only on photos and people's memories. Actually we have a lighting trip back home for a wedding in June (?) unfortunately it is in Cardiff but I'm hoping to catch up with Wigan for a couple of days at least (maybe a pint could be in order).

Because King St now swings through approx 70 deg it is taking some time adapting size and shape of the buildings, fortunately I have enough space to be able to model them at scale size which helps.

Cheers for now

Kev

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Still busy cobbling together buildings in the King St area ( at the back of the railway ) at the moment, being a bit held up by a lack of suitable photos from the 40's, however despite the loss of quality from my camera ( !$%#$%!#$%) I am quite pleased how the basis of Grimes arcade has turned out particularly the view out of the back of the arcade that a nice person some years ago had posted on Wiganworld.

post-19569-0-23076100-1457008147_thumb.jpg

Google street view has proven invaluable at times although in this case the front of the building appears to have been boarded up for some years.

Wiganworld is a local web site that has / is proving to be an absolute goldmine of information, although the building shown below has been the subject of much discussion between locals regarding it's access,locality, who did what where and or when etc etc. Unfortunately the one thing that no one has ever done was to take a photo of the ground floor frontage in a suitable era. This prompted me to write to them stating basically that while the top two floors are accurate the ground floor is a complete guess that is actually based on a Bodega Hotel in Newcastle so "Speak now or forever hold your peace" if you know any different.

post-19569-0-20293400-1457008177_thumb.jpg

A view as seen looking up King St.

post-19569-0-86722000-1457008198_thumb.jpg

While researching the Bodega, it became apparent that next door, down the street was a Methodist church that had at sometime in the late 50's early 60's  or so been knocked down to make way for a Tesco's !

Again the only photos showed a part of a corner or this shot from an aerial view.

post-19569-0-59318900-1457008964.jpg

Imagine my surprise when a Google search for Methodist church King St. showed me this. Which while not exactly the same ( check the front windows ) is alive and well and residing in Bolton, just up the road from Wigan. They must have had a job lot done around the same era I suppose.

post-19569-0-95179300-1457009082.jpg

Anyway it's going to be 36-38 deg over the weekend, damn, the garden will have to wait again. Shame that

Cheers

Kevan

• Like 3

Thanks Appollo, yes mate I will be modelling the " steps up" bit, actually I was having a look last night as to how far 'up' it went vs needed to go and along you pop with a photo showing the steps ! ( in plenty of time , this time  :yahoo: )

I hadn't seen the view from the County end before either, it is a bit of a nuisance living so far away having to rely only on photos and people's memories. Actually we have a lighting trip back home for a wedding in June (?) unfortunately it is in Cardiff but I'm hoping to catch up with Wigan for a couple of days at least (maybe a pint could be in order).

Because King St now swings through approx 70 deg it is taking some time adapting size and shape of the buildings, fortunately I have enough space to be able to model them at scale size which helps.

Cheers for now

Kev

Hello Kev,

These are superb photos posted up by Apollo. I recall stories from my uncle of times gone by when he would stand on the lattice bridge and become enveloped in the smoke from passing locomotives underneath. Such a shame that this bridge no longer links King Street with North Western station. I do agree with Apollo, this part (and in particular, King St) is a disgraceful part of town.

Anyway, it looks like the layout is coming along nicely, Kev. Keep us updated!

Kind regards,

Chris

I have memories of getting a face full of ash and steam more than once standing on the iron Bridge Chris. We left Wigan for Oz in 1964 and I can distinctly remember having to "Change at Crewe" and doing a mad dash across from one side of the station to the other for some reason or other, dragging a load of cases with us.

I agree with you guys about the downfall of King St, it seems to be 90% Bars, nightclubs and rubbish, certainly the last two visits I have made it was.

Anyway back in the late 40's it wasn't as grubby judging by photos on Wiganworld.

Cheers for now

Kevan

• Like 1

I have memories of getting a face full of ash and steam more than once standing on the iron Bridge Chris. We left Wigan for Oz in 1964 and I can distinctly remember having to "Change at Crewe" and doing a mad dash across from one side of the station to the other for some reason or other, dragging a load of cases with us.

I agree with you guys about the downfall of King St, it seems to be 90% Bars, nightclubs and rubbish, certainly the last two visits I have made it was.

Anyway back in the late 40's it wasn't as grubby judging by photos on Wiganworld.

Cheers for now

Kevan

Hi Kavan,

No indeed! From the stories I have been told by my grandparents, King St and the surrounding areas used to be quite a cracking place to be with plenty of cinemas and theatres, such as the Hipperdrome, to visit (or to climb over the toilet block wall as my grandmother used to do and get in for free) and plenty of temperance bars serving hot vimto which is where she met my grandad and the rest is history.

It was nice to see today in town that the old hotel (I think it was formally a pub until recently) next to Wallgate station has been restored and I am told will be turned into living accommodation and apartments. A fine, grand old Victorian style building.

Thanks for now,

Chris :)

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I thought it was about time I updated what I have been up to of late which turns out to be continuing with the various buildings, add on's extensions etc that appear to have been cobbled together out of an assortment of left over bits. Real builders must work the same as model builders I think in that  no two parts of any of these buildings appear to be made from the same stuff ( particularly extensions and add on's )

Anyway my wife appears to be appreciating the peace and quiet although the dogs have taken to growling at me when I try to sit near her in the lounge room.

As I am trying to get a good idea of how they all fit very few have managed to score a roof as yet.

So first up is the Methodist Church and the County Court Theatre / Cinema ( It changed from one to the other as one form of entertainment became more popular )

post-19569-0-12617800-1465111542_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the model of the County runs into the wall of the room hence the truncated appearance.

post-19569-0-70969500-1465111547_thumb.jpg

Some of the various 'add on's in evidence in the next couple of shots.

post-19569-0-93838700-1465111923_thumb.jpg

post-19569-0-81423200-1465111936_thumb.jpg

Quite pleased that the Hippodrome made it onto the layout, given that it burnt down in the early 1900's and then again about 10 years after the layout is based, must be something to do with the standard of performers or maybe the critics as Charlie Chaplin, George Formby, Arthur Askey and the Beatles could hardly be called duds.

post-19569-0-45979700-1465112091_thumb.jpg

post-19569-0-82450100-1465112102_thumb.jpg

The building in front of the Hippo was used by Fyffes for it's bananas I presume, however like most of the other buildings on here appeared in many different configurations, several photos show quite dramatically differing window arrangements, as usual though it's only partly done.

I tried my hand at 'distressing' the appearance of the sign on the Hippodrome with a rub of powdered Charcoal followed by a rub with some sand paper of unknown grit. I think the result doesn't look too bad considering.

post-19569-0-71822600-1465112127_thumb.jpg

Lastly for this update a long distance view of the area with an original for comparison that I have been using for general layout, sizing etc.

post-19569-0-44578700-1465112138_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I will get another update done before 2 months has elapsed.

Cheers for now

Kev

• Like 19

Very nice work Katwigan.

A book you must have is "The Wigan Sheds Volume 2 Wigan L & Y Motive Power depot" by Chris Coates, published by Steam Image, cost £19.95 ISBN No 0 9543128 4 8

An A4 soft cover book, 160 pages packed with photos and information of the locos & trains on the L & Y around Wigan in the era up to 1964 when the shed closed. I got mine for my birthday last week !!.

SI287.jpg

Brit15

• Like 4

Thanks for the info Apollo, have found one for 12.99 plus 5 pound postage ( haven't got a pound symbol on the PC out here ), I can remember going to the sheds with my grandpa Mason who was a driver based there for a number of years.

Mum remembers him coming home one morning as grey as a ghost and covered in mud having hidden in a ditch while a stray German bomber tried to blow his goods train up outside Liverpool.

Glad you like the work, and thanks to all that clicked on like etc.

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

I really like this. Captures the feel of the station beautifully. And what great buildings.

My dad at Aintree Enka, used to work with an ex Fireman who related the story of coming down the bank from Pemberton and being unable to stop resulting in a pile-up. Never seen a report on this anywhere. Anyone know about this

• Like 1

Sn hadn't heard anything about the pile up you refered to, there is a story (factual) including photo on web site wigan world regarding Ludovic Berry and the engine Dolly disappearing down one of Wigan's many pit shafts. I will see if i can find them again.

One of the problems with doing those buildings is the frequency of things getting added to,knocked down, enlarged etc etc, with very little support documentation. For example i have several photos of Fyffes warehouse in front of the Hippodrome showing several different window configurations. Still it makes for more interest anyway.

Went along to the Adelaide model railway exh. today, some good layouts there and picked up a couple of good buys including a new 4f for $130 aus.

A couple decent British outline layouts on show makes a change from acres and acres of out back scrubland.

Kev

• Like 1

G'day Gents

I to went to the Adelaide model railway show, enjoyed it but didn't buy anything, as I've already got what they had on offer, I liked 'Moor St' and the GW/LT layout upstairs.

manna

G'day Manna,

I agree with you on Great Moor St., Gavin Thrum produces great looking models at an alarming rate from what I have seen.

post-19569-0-42297900-1465779070.jpg

post-19569-0-39942000-1465779101.jpg

Moor St is a 'Minories' based design, I wonder if CJF knew how many layouts that design would inspire?

Kev

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of Wigan Sheds Vol 2 turned up today ( Thanks for the alert on that one Apollo / Brit15) it certainly has some great shots and plenty of information in there. It even has some very useful photos in the goods yard areas. Great value.

Been laid up with a case of the "Dreaded Lurgi" so haven't achieved much in the last week or so. 

Hopefully can stay awake long enough tonight to watch the 2nd game of the State of Origin Series from Brisbane (Queensland v New South Wales, Rugby League for the 'purists' out there' )

C'arn the Blues

Kevan

Hi Kev,

The developments on the layout are looking good! I especially like the Hippodrome sign and building end for the scenery.

I mentioned this to my grandad earlier today and he recalls "being a bit naughty" and getting into there for free a couple of times by sneaking in some way or another. Tut! Recalling these tales of his youth and looking like butter wouldn't melt! ;)

Anyway, the L&Y book is a good read. Incidentally, my parents now work on the industrial estate on Cricket Street where the shed used to be next to the line to Southport just outside Wallgate. Fancy that!

Cheers,

Chris :)

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thanks for all the likes etc of late.

Chris, your Grandad isn't the only person who has confessed to shennanagins in this vicinity !

The book has been of great use already although in one instance it means tearing up a bit of track! (again )

If the post Brexit monetary exchange rate between here and there continues the current trend I may be able to afford a couple more ex L&Y locos shortly.

Damn Queensland did NSW over again!!! 

Cheers all

Kev

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, must get some more roofs done ( even if it is only to keep the spiders from squatting in there  :O !  )

I managed to find the article and photo about Ludovic Berry and Dolly,

Article posted on Wigan World .

Taken from the 'Window on Wigan' book with kind permission of the author Geoffrey Shryhane, who also writes Wigan World for the Wigan Observer.

For love of Dolly

One hundred and fifty feet below an empty field between Abram and Platt Bridge lies a monument to the victim of Wigan's strangest mining disaster. A railway engine known as Dolly with 13 loaded wagons and the driver, Ludovic Berry, disappeared when an enormous chasm suddenly opened under the railway line. An eye witness said: "It looked as if the earth had yawned."
    It happened on the quiet afternoon of Monday, April 30, 1945, when Ludovic, aged 67, of May Street, Abram, was shunting wagons at Bickershaw Lane sidings, Abram. His engine Dolly was a familiar sight working the line between Maypole Junction and Main Pits. As it chugged past his daughter Martha's house, Ludovic blew the engine whistle and waved. Martha, who was taking her 11-month-old son for a walk, waved back and paused to watch the string of loaded coal wagons.
    She little knew that it was the last time she would see her father alive. As Dolly pushed her trucks into No 8 siding, brakeman John Ward walked alongside. Then to his horror he saw a gaping hole had opened under the rail. Amazingly, some wagons had already gone over the growing chasm. He frantically signalled Ludovic to stop the train but even as the brakes were being applied, the weight of the loaded wagons buckled the unsupported lines and the trucks plunged into darkness.
    John Ward ran along the side of the engine screaming at Ludovic to jump clear. Another brakeman, Joe Hindley, who thought there had been a derailment, also called to Ludovic. But Ludovic, still at his controls, tried to save his train. Then inevitably the first wagons to topple began to drag the remainder faster and faster towards the crater. Within seconds it was all over.
    Dolly and her courageous driver disappeared. As Joe and John approached the edge of the hole, the last rumble subsided and a cloud of steam rose and hung over the open tomb. Volunteers from surrounding pits immediately volunteered to mount rescue operations but pit bosses and police said there was no hope of Ludovic being alive. A few days later, when the dust cleared, the front of Dolly could be made out 100 feet below pointing towards the sky.
    The twisted wreckage and the body of the driver remained as they were and the shaft was covered over, sealing forever one of the greatest mysteries in local mining history.
    As the inquest at Abram Council Offices, experts concluded that the hole had formerly been the shaft of the New Zealand Pit, officially known as No 7 Brookside Colliery. It had been opened in 1885 and saw its last tub of coal in 1919. For a time the shaft was used for ventilation, then in 1932, 8,000 tons of debris were poured down to plug it, supposedly forever.
    Mining agent Oswald Onions said he had examined the shaft only the day before and nothing appeared to be wrong. But he said the number of old workings in the area - combined with the recent heavy rain had to be taken into account. He also said Ludovic loved the old engine and Onions believed he had sacrificed his life trying to save it.
    There was no doubts in the minds of John Ward and Joe Hindley that their workmate had stayed in his cab, holding on the brakes until it was too late to save himself.

post-19569-0-32929600-1467251280.jpg

That's dedication for you.

Kevan

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As another Wiganer, I have to say this is brilliant. even since I was at art school on Library Street in the 80s, the town centre has changed greatly, particularly around Darlington Street and the casino area, all replaced with a fuggly shopping mall.

Thankfully we still have the weind, and Wallgate (the street) doesn't look much different.

That multistorey at North Western though - I remember walking over the iron bridge to get our lunchtime pies from Pooles, when we weren't in the John Bull....

I play in an acoustic folk rock band, and regularly perform at the Old Courts, the people who run it now are all lovely, and I have told them about your layout when chatting outside the bailiff bar looking up at the coops building.

My layout "Hope Springs", while not an accurate model of Wigan in any way, definitely has the town in mind, in terms of atmosphere.

Great work and keep the updates coming.

Did you make it back to Wigan as you mentioned?

All the best

Pete

Thanks for the complement Pete, I have to say it appears that they are at least trying to tidy up a number of the older  buildings around town,. The Victoria and Pooles cafe being a case in point even though they are no longer used for their original purpose in some instances. Tom ( Wigan Wallgate OO gauge) tells me that Pooles Cafe building has recently reopened as a more modern day version, He and I have been talking about what he is up to with a more modern day version over in New Zealand.

Spent many  years playing in an assortment of bands here in Adelaide tho' I never quite got into the folk rock scene, actually there wasn't much of it about locally 'Pub Rock' being the dominant genre at the time (AC/DC being the biggest export)

Is 'Hope Springs' a subject on here? Would like to have a look.

Having a bit of health issue at the moment so I'm spending far too much time going for scans and  appointments and wandering around in multi story car park trying to find a parking spot for my liking.

In the meantime I am getting on with some additional buildings when not being distracted by the former or turning up for work occasionaly ( There is a hell of a lot to say for having a good boss !)

Unfortunately we didn't take on the trip back home due to other circumstances, so we have pencilled in summer of 2017,  How we are going to fit it all into a day and a half ( Ho Ho) I don't know. ( That was uncalled for Kevan !!! )

Sorry.

Keeping on keeping on.

Kevan