Wigan Wallgate

katwigan

Thanks Springs Branch, looking forward to getting back into the train room asap! I found the effects of the Doc's zapping me with their Radio Therapy Ray Gun thing to be rather more debilitating than I had anticipated! Anyway last shot of course of 35 to be fired tomorrow, then I guess we wait and see!

Tom, the section that contains the station, which is really the main board of the layout is 19' 4" long by 3' wide, the platform face comes in at around 7'6" long approx 570 full size feet, which includes the bit under the station building itself. 

The section of buildings that I had been working on last are all sitting on 2 pieces of 5mm foamboard suitable reinforced and can be lifted out to provide access to one of the return loops underneath. Although I haven't tried to lift it out again yet, since adding more buildings ........ ( Note to self ....)

I can also access underneath the layout in some places  by sitting on the base section of an an old, small office swivel chair that allows me to duck and roll under the perimeter frame. This has proven particularly useful for accessing both the return loops to be able to check for clearance while the trains were running.

Tom, that was a sneaky way of getting me to write something on here at least, even if I have nothing much to show.

Cheers all

Kev

Bad news - Broxton Ave bakery closed a few years ago. You were a brave man if you could down two of their superb Butter Pies they made on Friday (a bit "heavy") !!.

Very few (if any) decent independant pie shops left around the area - any recommendations ?

Brit15

• Like 1

Bad news - Broxton Ave bakery closed a few years ago. You were a brave man if you could down two of their superb Butter Pies they made on Friday (a bit "heavy") !!.

Very few (if any) decent independant pie shops left around the area - any recommendations ?

Brit15

You're right there, Apollo. Not many independent ones left at all. There used to be a decent pie shop called Edward's Bakery down in Platt Bridge until I was gutted in an arson attack a few years back. Shame really. As for others, none I can think of except the main chain ones around the town centres.

I see the old hotel next door to Wallgate station has now been renovated and the ground floor has opened up into a convenience store! There is a cracking little shop near me here in Standish called Jenny Wrens. Not been around that long yet but the pies are delish! Perhaps this Jenny Wren is one to look out for as an up and coming new pie stop shop?

Chris :)

• 3 months later...

Hi All, 

Not much in the way of modelling work to show but had the Bestest news yesterday when given the ALL Clear by the Doctors at the Cancer clinic! 

7 weeks of daily Radiotherapy Treatment on my neck and throat has eliminated the Tumour! Mind you it has also eliminated 42 Kg of weight that used to belong to me, several taste buds and my appreciation of the Taste of BEER and CHOCOLATE! IS Nothing sacred?

Anyway as I am now starting to feel rather more human than I was, the ability to concentrate and therefore attempt some modelling is returning finally. As soon as I can remember what the heck I was doing and what are all these bits of building for.

Anyway, Onwards and Upwards

Kevan

Good news Kevan - Look after yourself and get that Bank Hall Jubilee 45698 Mars running through Wallgate on the express soon !!

Brit 15, cold and wet in Wigan (what's new ?) - expecting snow tonight !!

Thank you all for your messages and 'ticks' of support and wishes  :imsohappy: 

Apollo it's 15 degrees cooler here today than yesterday and has been pouring down all night, not much sign of snow though because it's still in the mid 20's.

Cheers all, now where did I put that knife?

Kev

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I've had one of the last hurdles to feeling 'normal' removed a couple of days ago. At the start of the treatment they had inserted a feeding tube through my abdomen into the stomach, I wont go in to detail of it's removal suffice to say when I saw the Doc. wrap the tube around his hand I thought "Oh,O.."

That was as far as I got because that thought was immediately replaced by a murderous thought directed at the Doc. himself! Anyway a few days later and it is starting to heal over.

My son says that the resultant scar will look like a bullet hole which will have more street cred than saying I have two navels!

I am still finding my tiredness as a hinderence to any real modelling, but I have done a bit more tidying up and trying to remember what I was doing.

It will come

K

Hi all,

Spent some time last night reviewing the current situation as in " what the heck was I doing?" Managed to clarify a few things unfortunately one of them was that I have a height relationship problem between Wallgate ( street level ) The exchange sidings and the Main Running Lines. ( The first photo in Post #24 shows the area I am on about )

The problem being that to the right of the loco in that photo there is a semi abandoned small building shown inset into the Retaining wall, It was originally the L&Y No2 Signal Box and in looking at the height of it in photos and the height I would require to make it fit it is going to look way ,way too tall. By about 20+mm at least!

This all then may require a visit from "The Nasty  Knife" or gasp " The Saw"..........Hmmm , more reviewing required I think.

Still, better now than later I guess, meanwhile the tidying up has continued .........

Kevan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Things with me are improving in leaps and bounds eating and therefore energy wise, still struggle a bit with breads and pastries but otherwise doing well.
Started at the Gym twice a week trying to move some weights about, compared to what I used to move I feel positively frail. But a Start has been made !

As such I have been actually doing things in the train room instead of just going in and cleaning up / sitting and looking.
A little bit of additional wood work has produced the base for the Exchange Sidings, all be it slightly the wrong shape but the photos give the right idea.

post-19569-0-58501100-1488005941_thumb.jpg

post-19569-0-78179700-1488005993_thumb.jpg

post-19569-0-61385300-1488006023_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the method I have used to support the boards while enabling me to access the tracks will provide enough stability to stop the boards distorting. I will probably end up fitting some form of aluminium angles or channels to provide longitudinal support but we will see how we go.

post-19569-0-12372400-1488006847_thumb.jpg

post-19569-0-10497100-1488006874_thumb.jpg

The longest of the sidings should enable me to assemble 24 wagons ready to depart for pastures other, hopefully the whole train will behave  as it snakes over several crossovers to access the main running lines.

The next photo (extracted from an old photo taken by  A.N.Other whose origin escapes me) shows a loco exiting the Exchange sidings and about to pass by the footings of an elevated ex L&Y Signal Box I believe, while to the right of picture in the gloom is I believe a three story high box of LNWR origin. If anyone can a) correct me as to their origin, b) Identify what size / type they may have been. c) When in history would they have been removed.
My preference would be to include both of them on the layout rather than the horrible concrete structure that apparently replaced them.
Given the degree of modellers licence I need to invoke anyway in various areas I know of no real reason why they shouldn't appear.

post-19569-0-06849600-1488008628_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your support, messages of encouragement, various ticks and wishes over the last number of months, while I felt fairly despondent on several occasions, reading of the activities of others on here kept the interest alive even though the body and mind were'nt willing to participate.
Tom your pm's were truly appreciated.
Onward!!

Edited by katwigan
  • Like 4

Glad your on the mend Kevan, and doing a bit on the layout - don't over do it though.

Some info about your question re the signal box(es) at Wigan is here. Click on 1100G1941 & download the PDF.

http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/ArchiveSignals/LMSR.php

Both Wigan North Western & Wallgate were re-signalled with colour light signals around 1941, during World War 2. The 3 boxes were Wigan No 1, 2, (south & north of North Western station) and Wallgate box, which is still in use today, the lines through North Western being controlled by Warrington power box since around 1972 / 3. The 3 boxes were of similar design / construction.

Some useful photos / info here

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/3/mna6dr82.jpg

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo.php?opt=5&id=7466&gallery=Wigan+North+West+Station&offset=0

An excellent 4 page pull out plan of this re-signalling showing all lines and signals, including Ince to Wigan Wallgate box junction (where the Liverpool / southport lines diverge) is in the book "The Wigan Branch Railway" by Dennis Sweeney, Triangle publishing ISBN 978 09550030 35. Although this mainly covers the Parkside to Wigan line (WCML) there are interesting photos around the two Wigan stations.

Hope this is of use.

Best wishes - Brit15

• Like 2

That Signalling plan is magnificent Brit15, I shall have to get that printed out . If as you say the area went over to colour light signals in 1941 it would be fair to assume that the 2 boxes in question went  around the same time do you think?

As such I claim Modellers Licence, and invoke the necessary time lag in order to keep the boxes and the semaphores active until circa 1948! Curse the delays caused due to the war years. All those in favour, Me "Aye". Done.

Next, all I have to do now is find more info as to what they looked like. 

I shall have to look for a copy of Mr Sweeney's book also.

Off into the train room now for a couple of hours (hopefully) before the tiredness gets me again.

Cheers

Kevan

• Like 1

Kevan yes the boxes went when the new ARP (Air raid precaution) boxes were commissioned in 1941.

The plan in my link above is the same as in the Wigan Branch Book. There are also several photos showing these old boxes from different angles and also a Wigan NW general arrangement and track diagram showing their locations.

This is the book  http://trianglepublishing.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

I have been following your thread on the excellent Wigan World website, lots of interesting railway & non railway stuff there. Spend an hour on the Ince thread and have a laugh (My mother was a Belle Green Lane'er). http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/communicate/mb_message.php?opt=f2&opt2=&msd=715090&offset=680&subject=Ince%20Memories.

Brit15