Coast Line Models, bits and pieces covering mostly Cambrian areas in 4mm

Quarryscapes

Finally got round to squaring it with the boss to advertise on here. I set up Coast Line Models last March with the aim of improving availability of Cambrian oriented models in 4mm Scale. This is progressing, albeit very slowly as I am an army of one covering over 100 years worth of prototypes across 3 Rail Companies and that's just the core interests! 

So what have I got on offer? The bulk of the range is for GWR etched number plates, there is a standard stocked range which unsurprisingly covers classes associated with the Cambrian. There are a few miscellaneous items too, but the standout is perhaps the Custom Number feature

There is also growing support for number plates both stocked and custom for LNWR, Barry, Rhymney, Taff Vale and Cambrian Railways.

I also do a lot with 3D printing and have designs available through Shapeways, including wagon axleboxes, loco fittings and lineside items. There is also some support for Narrow Gauge, though this is not detailed on the website. 

I am currently investigating stocking Maxon coreless motors, as availability in the UK is poor, however they are very expensive, which seems to be a deal breaker for British Modellers. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone interested in this line. 

The address is www.coastlinemodels.co.uk 

• Like 5

....currently investigating stocking Maxon coreless motors, as availability in the UK is poor, however they are very expensive, which seems to be a deal breaker for British Modellers. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone interested in this line.....

You could do worse than have a look at eBay trader "microlocomotion", based in Texas. He seems to have no problem sourcing and stocking a very wide variety of coreless motors, especially Maxon and Faulhaber. Ships worldwide too. I have a Maxon 2232 double-shaft for use in a diesel - very strong motor.

They're all very powerful for their size, hence my attraction to them. I'm currently redesigning my projects on the workbench to use them as a test bed. Timing is a bit off as the Ultrascale gears for the Metropolitan tank turned up today which was originally going to be powered by  a Mashima, but will now have a 1320 Maxon. 

It is possible to customise certain maxon motors making them more suited to model use - however such motors would end up in the region of £100. Not entirely sure that it is worthwhile at that cost. I'm fairly sure I can knock up some CNC cut motor mounts for the Maxon oddball M5.5 concentric end mount at reasonable cost however that would allow use of the 'standard' motors with off the shelf gearboxes. The 2mm scale association sell something in that vein. 

• 2 months later...

First dedicated sheet of Custom Numberplates arrived yesterday and was promptly despatched to all corners of the UK and a lonely parcel to Canada. 

Here's a sample of what was on it:

BFI-DSXT1787.jpg

Quite varied! 

The new number plate maker is now live on the website at http://www.coastlinemodels.co.uk/product/custom-number-plate-maker-0-25mm-brass-sheet-10-thou/

(A customer account is required to generate custom number plates - if you just want to have a look please use user name rmweb and password nosy.parker!  - copy and paste the bits in Bold and login from the 'My Account' button on the menu bar)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Received my first order for a couple of GWR plates from the standard range today, plates are now painted and drying before I can to attach to a Dukedog and 4575.

Based on these I will definitely be placing an order for custom plates to cover the rest of the non named locos for Brent. If you ever start doing names, I will be very interested!

Out of interest what thickness are the standard range GW plates so that I can make sure I order the same. I'd check myself but would have to wait for a new micrometer battery to arrive first!

Edited by The Fatadder

Received my first order for a couple of GWR plates from the standard range today, plates are now painted and drying before I can to attach to a Dukedog and 4575.

Based on these I will definitely be placing an order for custom plates to cover the rest of the non named locos for Brent. If you ever start doing names, I will be very interested!

Out of interest what thickness are the standard range GW plates so that I can make sure I order the same. I'd check myself but would have to wait for a new micrometer battery to arrive first!

Glad you like them! I've got my own Dukedog to do later today as well, and a Dean Goods. (Both painted and waiting the courage to stick them on straight)

All GWR number plates are on 0.25mm sheets, which is the correct thickness for the real thing (although the number plate ground should not be recessed as much as half etching does strictly speaking). LNWR ones are done on 0.15mm. 

There are unlikely to be names, except for Cambrian Railways locomotives, but never say never! 

The clearout of old stock plates continues should anyone else wish to experiment at very little cost - nickel silver plates are just 50p per pair! 

• 1 month later...

As some of you may know from another thread, I am very slowly working towards producing a kit of the Mid Wales and Bishop's Castle Kitson 0-6-0s. I thought I would document it's progress here, that way anyone interested in one can see exactly what they're getting into. I'm doing this in a new way for me, starting with a Virtual 3D model of the etched and cast parts and then drawing the etch artwork from that. Normally I'd work all the etched parts out first then model them up as an assembly virtually to check fit. 

Here are some screenshots from along the way, I have devised a gearbox of 61:1 driven by either a Mashima 1015 or a Maxon RE10. This was the first task. Being such a small locomotive it is a challenge to get anything in, and making it work in 3 gauges too is going to be very interesting! 

post-21854-0-96829200-1478179583_thumb.png

post-21854-0-12484500-1478179597_thumb.png

post-21854-0-87349100-1478179604_thumb.png

post-21854-0-04261100-1478179611_thumb.png

post-21854-0-81439400-1478179719_thumb.png

• Like 8

A little update on the Kitson...

I decided that inside motion might be a good idea. Would have been better for my sanity if I hadn't! Looks like it'll be a cast crosshead and slidebar assembly with etched con rod and cranks alongside a cast stephenson valve gear assembly. It will only be non working but will look a lot better than fresh air between the frames! A lot of detective work had to be done to work out what form or slidebars and crosshead to use - in the end space dictated that only a 4 slidebar colliery engine style would actually fit without fouling stuff. 

Here the development shows 00 spacers in red, EM in cyan and P4 are purple. Starting to look like a loco now. The dummy wheels on the 00 and EM are measured from scalelink self quartering wheels which should give ample clearance for more scale wheels. 

post-21854-0-14920200-1478385204_thumb.png

post-21854-0-59299400-1478385209_thumb.png

post-21854-0-10635600-1478385215_thumb.png

• Like 8

A little update on the Kitson...

I decided that inside motion might be a good idea. Would have been better for my sanity if I hadn't! Looks like it'll be a cast crosshead and slidebar assembly with etched con rod and cranks alongside a cast stephenson valve gear assembly. It will only be non working but will look a lot better than fresh air between the frames! A lot of detective work had to be done to work out what form or slidebars and crosshead to use - in the end space dictated that only a 4 slidebar colliery engine style would actually fit without fouling stuff. 

Here the development shows 00 spacers in red, EM in cyan and P4 are purple. Starting to look like a loco now. The dummy wheels on the 00 and EM are measured from scalelink self quartering wheels which should give ample clearance for more scale wheels. 

attachicon.gif7.png

attachicon.gif8.png

attachicon.gif9.png

Is there not an etched brass kit already for the Bishop Castle 0-6-0?

Tony

Is there not an etched brass kit already for the Bishop Castle 0-6-0?

Tony

Yes, a very poor one which went out of production not long ago. I bought one to see whether it would be worth putting an offer in for the artwork, masters etc but it was not, nor was it suitable for the Mid Wales locomotives at any rate. There is a thread in Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding about it. Mine languishes in it's box part built where it is destined to remain.  

• 1 month later...

some photos that maybe of use from the Stephenson Locomtive Society list though I think they are available from other sources too,  They also have a huge photographic library and a great library including the Kitson order book with side view drawing of Carlisle and the works photo   A great magazine too.

regards,

Albyn

post-14989-0-17598500-1481545392_thumb.jpg

post-14989-0-73338200-1481545402_thumb.jpg

post-14989-0-79629800-1481545411_thumb.jpg

post-14989-0-94080400-1481545431_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Cheers Albyn. I haven't done anything on this for a while since the laptop death forced a pause, been working on wagons in the meantime. I'll try and do some more in the new year. 

Now then wagons - One piece (almost!) 3D Printed wagons are proving to be successful, so I'm going to expand the range. I have a few out with volunteer guinea pigs for feedback on the current test piece:

post-21854-0-00171700-1481584563_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-98053200-1481584566_thumb.jpg

These are British Wagon Co. P.O. 4 planks. All they need are RCH ribbed buffers, couplings and open spoke wheels with appropriate bearings to complete. Assembly is more disassembly as I plan on stocking them with supports attached - They are currently available from my Shapeways shop without the supports, but I find that when Shapeways do the support removal they do it whilst the model is still soft and not fully cured causing warping. It's not hard to remove the supports, just a knife needed, followed by tidying up some IPA on a cotton bud and some sanding with 800 and 1500 grit paper as well as a fibreglass pencil. 

I am already working on Cambrian Railways prototypes to do as one piece models, should have a few available in the next few months. 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

First dedicated sheet of Custom Numberplates arrived yesterday and was promptly despatched to all corners of the UK and a lonely parcel to Canada. 

Here's a sample of what was on it:

BFI-DSXT1787.jpg

Quite varied! 

The new number plate maker is now live on the website at http://www.coastlinemodels.co.uk/product/custom-number-plate-maker-0-25mm-brass-sheet-10-thou/

(A customer account is required to generate custom number plates - if you just want to have a look please use user name rmweb and password nosy.parker!  - copy and paste the bits in Bold and login from the 'My Account' button on the menu bar)

Hi, the link on the above just gives a 404 error - are you aware?

Given that these are custom made, is it just the numbers that can change, or can the wording change too?  I've got a thought for the Barry Railway style plates.

Rich

​EDIT: Ah I've just discovered you've discontinued the custom range :( - sorry for the message!

Edited by MarshLane

Hi, the link on the above just gives a 404 error - are you aware?

Given that these are custom made, is it just the numbers that can change, or can the wording change too?  I've got a thought for the Barry Railway style plates.

Rich

​EDIT: Ah I've just discovered you've discontinued the custom range :( - sorry for the message!

Yep, all discontinued now, (https://www.coastlinemodels.co.uk/pulling-a-plug/) unless someone wants to make it worth my while of course. It just took to long to put together a viable batch, people got antsy waiting, I don't like holding on to people's money for months with nothing to show for it and at the end of the day it wasn't paying enough to make up for the other issues. 

• 4 months later...

Latest 3D Printed bits concentrate on alterations to the Oxford Rail Dean Goods:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4H8XJAB64/dean-goods-taper-chimney-4mm-for-oxford-rail <- Taper Chimney without the toy train base

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CSN33C7SS/dean-goods-smokebox-door-4mm-oxford-rail <-Smokebox Door, later type for those who can't wait for Oxford to release the right model

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GD99FL2PX/washout-plugs-4mm-scale-00-em-p4 <-Washout Plugs, not limited in application to the Oxford model of course

https://www.shapeways.com/product/72XFL6VUA/tender-dome-filler-for-oxford-rail-dean-goods <- Tender dome and filler to replace the D Shape one

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SUQZZMGE7/dean-goods-parallel-chimney-oxford-rail-4mm <- Parallel Chimney 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's good news, much appreciated. The parallel chimney will be on my order list.

BTW I'm going to see if I can modify your dished Dean Goods smokebox door to fit the OR smokebox. It has that nice prominent rim which the OR one doesn't. 

That's good news, much appreciated. The parallel chimney will be on my order list.

BTW I'm going to see if I can modify your dished Dean Goods smokebox door to fit the OR smokebox. It has that nice prominent rim which the OR one doesn't. 

I can make a dedicated one if you like, but it will be incorrectly positioned as Oxford have only tooled one smokebox, Sadly Shapewas have decreed that they won't do the smokebox doors in brass as the strapping is too fine. A shame, but there is space to add some lead into the cup in the back of the door. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can make a dedicated one if you like, but it will be incorrectly positioned as Oxford have only tooled one smokebox, Sadly Shapewas have decreed that they won't do the smokebox doors in brass as the strapping is too fine. A shame, but there is space to add some lead into the cup in the back of the door. 

Thanks for the offer Alan, but probably not worth it to make one that wouldn't be correctly positioned.

• Like 1