Replacement Window Glass for Hornby Mk.3 "7 Window" Coaches?

Hi there,

I am a casual user reliving my childhood trainset that I got from my mum's attic. I am also a keen scale modeller of 1/72 modelling and am looking to tidy up my 1983 InterCity 125 using my up to date skills!

I have the 2 x Class 43s (43010 and 43011) along with the following coaches;

Class 41 Trailer First - x 2

Class 40 Restaurant Buffet x 1

Class 42 Trailer Second x 4 (one of which I am going to convert to a Class 44 TGS)

They are the original Hornby R439-0020 spec coaches (the wrong length ones with the 7 windows!) and they suffer from some cracks in the windows as well as the white grey paint deterioating from the window frames.

All the replacement glass I have seen is only made for the 8 window variety and is just for the actual windows, the R439 comes with the glass and frame as the one piece.

Do Hornby or Anyone else do replacements? I don't really mind repainting the frames (a bit of a pain to mask 14 x 7 windows etc!) but the cracks are untreatable.

I was looking at respraying the chassis's as well as numbering them with coaches noted for the 253-005 class 43 pair of Engines.

Cheers

Andy

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

The old Hornby HST coaches are not very accurate and have been surpassed by Lima, newer Hornby and now Oxford Rail examples, I suspect you could pick up cheap ones at shows or on eBay with damage to other parts and salvage the glazing strip (although some see them as "collectors items" and think they're worth a fortune!)