Heljan announce 07 Shunter in OO

Andy Y

Heljan are pleased to be able to make a New Year 'OO' release announcement!

07012a.jpg

Ruston & Hornsby Diesel Shunter

D2985 - D2998

07001 - 07014

Introduced in 1962 this class of 14 locomotives was designed specifically for use in the Southampton Docks complex on trip and shunting duties. With the decline of traffic within the docks the class was re-assigned to duties in the Eastleigh area before withdrawal and finding further work with a number of industrial companies. Several happily survive in preservation.

Two versions will be produced reflecting 'as-built' condition and later modified locos with waist height air brake connections.

Proposed for release in 2017, further details will be announced as the project develops.

Heljan are pleased to be able to make a New Year 'OO' release announcement!

attachicon.gif07012a.jpg

Ruston & Hornsby Diesel Shunter

D2985 - D2998

07001 - 07014

Introduced in 1962 this class of 14 locomotives was designed specifically for use in the Southampton Docks complex on trip and shunting duties. With the decline of traffic within the docks the class was re-assigned to duties in the Eastleigh area before withdrawal and finding further work with a number of industrial companies. Several happily survive in preservation.

Two versions will be produced reflecting 'as-built' condition and later modified locos with waist height air brake connections.

Proposed for release in 2017, further details will be announced as the project develops.

Excellent news. It should soon(ish) be possible to chart the history of Southampton Docks with the B4, USA and 07. Congratulations to Dave Jones, who spilt the beans a while ago. I was beginning to wonder!

• RMweb Premium

A long-awaited announcement, a small class with a significant following and an extant example available for scanning (possibly already done for a 2017 release) so this is very welcome.

At this early stage I'd tentatively expect two to find homes here as I slowly build up my collection of Southern (South Western Division) types.

• RMweb Gold

A long-awaited announcement, a small class with a significant following and an extant example available for scanning (possibly already done for a 2017 release) so this is very welcome.

Not so small. Remember that many outwardly almost identical hydraulic versions were built for the Army and that some of the military examples are now in service with Chiltern Railways and various heritage and industrial users.

Yawn! Another esoteric locomotive with limited use from Heljan.

How about correcting the 86 (wouldn't take too much effort). Went all over the country, spans multiple eras, many, many liveries etc. Might actually sell better if they get it right (i.e. don't introduce new errors when fixing the old ones as per the 33/0).

• RMweb Premium

Yawn! Another esoteric locomotive with limited use from Heljan.

How about correcting the 86 (wouldn't take too much effort). Went all over the country, spans multiple eras, many, many liveries etc. Might actually sell better if they get it right (i.e. don't introduce new errors when fixing the old ones as per the 33/0).

Alternatively, and while acknowledging the 86 (and indeed other large-class releases) might not be as precise as hoped for, let's celebrate having a quality manufacturer with enough product and customer base to be willing to take on these "niche" items.  I'm convinced the Danish Blue box people have taken a long hard look at the other British major manufacturers and opted to continue not by competing directly but by offering limited-appeal items which might have just enough quirkiness to succeed.

The 07 has been requested in numerous forums and online surveys and despite its very limited geographical range with BR it is a well-known type with at least one survivor still on home turf at Eastleigh depot.  

Hi,

Thanks Heljan !

I'd love to do this Eastleigh one for my layout just for the extra details all over it, that's some collection of couplings on the end :

post-7088-0-51577300-1452246536_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-03365000-1452246566_thumb.jpg

What are the black strengthened bits underneath the buffers though ?

Thanks,

Shed.

Archived