Heljan announce 07 Shunter in OO

Andy Y

Is there nothing left now that the various RTR manufacturers are producing?

This is very good news, especially for diesel shunter enthusiasts, and also for anyone modelling the West Somerset Railway in the early 1980s.

No, there are tons of AC Electrics needing doing

• RMweb Gold

Is there nothing left now that the various RTR manufacturers are producing?

Off the top of my head the only TOPS diesel classes not now available are the 01, 02, 11, 12, and the German CTRL Cl.21 (II)s, although the Hornby 06 is not up to modern standards. There are still plenty of electrics, prototypes, and pre-TOPS diesels to do however.

Incidentally the 07 lookalikes in use with Chiltern and others have the TOPS code 01/5: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_01/5

No, there are tons of AC Electrics needing doing

Three gas turbines (one converted into an AC electric), 10800 and the Fell for a start. A decent 06 would be welcome too. Will we ever get to the end of the deep well of steam locomotives? 448 classes inherited by BR and hundreds more which never reached BR.

An accurate 04 as the Bachmann one is based on the old Mainline 03 body and their are some noticeable differences, even more so if the first batches were to be done with the simple ladder front steps.

Back to the 07 when did they start to wander, Poole has been mentioned but was that from new or as work at Southampton Docks declined.

If Heljan reckon they can make a profit on the Class 07, surely some of the steam-era Scottish locos must be possible in RTR? I would love an NBR Glen or a Caley Jumbo!

I wish Heljan well on this. I might buy one, as I've always fancied a quayside layout.

It wouldn't necessarily need to be a quayside layout, any more than those using the 0-4-0 ST "Pugs" needed to be. It's just a nice, small, different looking shunter.

And it's chassis will be able to be adapted to make PWM651-4 too, (97651-4).

• RMweb Premium

What are the black strengthened bits underneath the buffers though ?

Thanks,

Shed.

Footsteps by the look of them?

They are jacking points if the loco comes off the tracks. Quite a few shunters have them as they often work in areas of dodgy trackwork.

This 06 has them as a combined jacking/lifting lug.

Cheers,

Mick

They are jacking points if the loco comes off the tracks. Quite a few shunters have them as they often work in areas of dodgy trackwork.

Cheers,

Mick

Many Thanks to you,  of course, not many other options for lifting one of these. That's two days on the trot now that I've learnt something new ! :friends:

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Back to the 07 when did they start to wander, Poole has been mentioned but was that from new or as work at Southampton Docks declined.

I don't know where they were actually working, but I have my old Ian Allan books from 1974 onwards which show the allocations of the survivors.

1974 - 07001/2/3/5/6/9/10/11/12/13 all allocated  EH (Eastleigh)

1975 - as above,  but during the year 07012/13 were reallocated to BM (Bournemouth) 

1976 - as above,  but during the year 07012/13 were reallocated back to EH 

1977 - 07001/2/5/6/11/12/13 all allocated EH but withdrawn by October 1977 before the 1978 book was published

here is one of my shots of 07013 (and 07011) stabled at Southmpton Docks on a weekend in February 1977

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rivercider/7047523487/in/photolist-iNUWH4-bJLpcD  

edit - and searching Flickr here are some views away from Southampton/Eastleigh

07002 at Poole in 1976

https://www.flickr.com/photos/actonwellsjunction/5873336926/in/photolist-9X1orL 

07012 at Bournemouth in 1977

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d33206hg/5293430878/in/photolist-94LdzC-auXPAT

07013 at Bournemouth station on pilot duty in 1976

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richardboyd484/10204800225/in/photolist-gxLgzt

cheers 

Hi,

Thanks Heljan !

I'd love to do this Eastleigh one for my layout just for the extra details all over it, that's some collection of couplings on the end :

attachicon.gif07007a.jpg

attachicon.gif07007b.jpg

What are the black strengthened bits underneath the buffers though ?

Thanks,

Shed.

It failed its MoT and had to have plates welded on. It was a 1960s product after all, just think back to cars of the 60s and rusty sills....

Stewart

I'll be publishing details shortly in a separate topic in Hatton's area but I've just had word that agreement has been reached for Hatton's to produce an exclusive edition of 07001 in Harry Needle livery.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know where they were actually working, but I have my old Ian Allan books from 1974 onwards which show the allocations of the survivors.

They were allocated to Eastleigh but assigned to work in Southampton Docks.  You could often find them trundling a few wagons between locations including along the streets around where the West Quay centre is now.  Typically there would be one or two around the yards at Eastleigh as well, including one outside the Works where it stood for years as a stationary power plant I believe, and sometimes one in Bevois Park though the standard 08 / 09 350hp shunters were more common there.  With most of the dock areas being closed to public access they could be difficult to spot at times but I recall two visits to the roadside lines when a couple of flagmen hastily appeared from somewhere and were soon followed by an 07 leading a string of short wheelbase wagons to the accompaniment of various squeals and groans.

As the docks traffic declined and wagonload freight was virtually eliminated from the railway in favour of containers so the remaining 07s were reassigned to other duties nearby including station pilot and Bournemouth and replacing the 03s on Boscombe Yard duties.  They also worked Poole and Hamworthy Goods on occasions though seldom strayed far from their Eastleigh home.  

Archived