Some 3mm LNWR wagon bodies

Chris Higgs

For anyone intersted, I have put some LNWR wagon bodies I have been doing in 2mm scale also in 3mm scale on Shapeways. They don't work out very cheap I am afraid.

Chris Higgs

https://www.shapeways.com/product/H6NHGJ2ET/3mm-lnwr-d4-d53-d63-wagons?li=shop-inventory&optionId=58734932

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z57X9GW8K/3mm-lnwr-d1-and-d2-wagons?li=shop-inventory&optionId=58734935

This might also interest a few people

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ATV28422L/3mm-class-08-11-parts?li=shop-inventory&optionId=58874478

Thanks Chris,

Just to clarify, for the first link, is the price for one wagon body or the stack of three shown in the image?

Thanks

Frank

It's for the three. Doing them in multiple gives a cheaper unit price, not perhaps so much in 3mm as its does in 2mm, where you save a lot.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

I'll give them a try. Presumably the frosted extreme detail is higher quality then the ultra detail; can you give any indication of how much improvement you think there is, for these models? Difficult question I know, but I haven't heard of extreme detail before.

Also, for the second link, this is for two bodies of each type?

I'll pass the info onto the Society egroup, if that's OK with you, where there might well be some interest.

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Chris

I'll give them a try. Presumably the frosted extreme detail is higher quality then the ultra detail; can you give any indication of how much improvement you think there is, for these models? Difficult question I know, but I haven't heard of extreme detail before.

Also, for the second link, this is for two bodies of each type?

I'll pass the info onto the Society egroup, if that's OK with you, where there might well be some interest.

Cheers

Nigel

From what I have seen in 2mm scale, the extreme detail does give a smoother finish and shows the rivets better. I have been told that the exterme detail is the same material as ultra detail, but Shapeways run the printer at finer resolution, which takes longer and hence costs more. But indeed it is difficult to say just whether it is worth the extra money at the 3mm scale sizes.

The D1/D2 print gives four wagons - two each of D1 one plank and D2 two plank. However these wagons were both built first at 15'6" length, and later at 16'. So you get four wagons, all subtly different. One and two plankers were the most common wagons the LNWR built, outnumbering higher wagons and vans by quite a way.

Chris

Those look terrific. I can't see that anyone who is a keen 3mm modeller is going to resist those.

Well, given that only a tiny handful of D1s even made it to the grouping (1923) I should imagine there are plenty of BR era modellers who can happily walk on by!

I am working on some later LNWR wagons (those to 9'9" wheelbase) that may appeal to later era modellers.

Chris

• 9 months later...

For anyone intersted, I have put some LNWR wagon bodies I have been doing in 2mm scale also in 3mm scale on Shapeways. They don't work out very cheap I am afraid.

Chris Higgs

https://www.shapeways.com/product/H6NHGJ2ET/3mm-lnwr-d4-d53-d63-wagons?li=shop-inventory&optionId=58734932

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z57X9GW8K/3mm-lnwr-d1-and-d2-wagons?li=shop-inventory&optionId=58734935

This might also interest a few people

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ATV28422L/3mm-class-08-11-parts?li=shop-inventory&optionId=58874478

Hello Chris did you ever do the etchings for the convercion of a class 08 to a class 11 please regards mike .

Chris, would you mind doing the wagons in 4mm scale too and making them available in BHDA? Might be best if uploaded as single bodies as you gain nothing in BHDA with multiple parts and in 4mm scale the savings with multiple parts in FUD/FXD are negligible these days. (Obviously they've cottoned on!) 

Chris, would you mind doing the wagons in 4mm scale too and making them available in BHDA? Might be best if uploaded as single bodies as you gain nothing in BHDA with multiple parts and in 4mm scale the savings with multiple parts in FUD/FXD are negligible these days. (Obviously they've cottoned on!) 

as a test, I have added a 4mm D2 here

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CHLTWKZWB/4mm-lnwr-d2-wagon?optionId=61030036

The price is not that much lower than FUD to be honest. Is BHDA a better material (I have never used it)?

Chris

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

Just getting around to knocking up some etched wagon chasses for these. Quick question: the rectangular hole at the right hand end of the solebar; is this a mounting point for the brake lever assembly, or something else?

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Chris

Just getting around to knocking up some etched wagon chasses for these. Quick question: the rectangular hole at the right hand end of the solebar; is this a mounting point for the brake lever assembly, or something else?

Cheers

Nigel

Yes, and it sort of inherits from the 2mm design where we have foldup brake levers and both ends go into one hole. I could perhaps have done two holes here.

When you say you are knocking up some chassis, do you mean existing etches or you are designing a new etch. I could easily enough create some 3mm LNWR wagon etches from the 2mm versions I am already in the process of producing.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

Yes, and it sort of inherits from the 2mm design where we have foldup brake levers and both ends go into one hole. I could perhaps have done two holes here.

When you say you are knocking up some chassis, do you mean existing etches or you are designing a new etch. I could easily enough create some 3mm LNWR wagon etches from the 2mm versions I am already in the process of producing.

Chris

Designing a new etch. It's OK; I like the challenge!  Have some others to do as well.

Cheers

Nigel

• 1 month later...

Chris

A question. Can't find anything about LNWR D63 wagons; any ideas? I've enough info for all the others.

Cheers

Nigel

As it's not on the LNWR society website, it must be in one the LNWR wagons books somewhere. D63 is a loco coal wagon, although the drawing might appear somewhere else in the book.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

As it's not on the LNWR society website, it must be in one the LNWR wagons books somewhere. D63 is a loco coal wagon, although the drawing might appear somewhere else in the book.

Chris

Chris

Thanks. I'll put out a search with fellow modellers who might have wagon books I don't (currently I've just vol. 1, although may acquire more)

Nigel

You know, what I might just have confused myself and everyone else here. Perhaps I meant D64, but wrote D63! The drawing I did certainly seems to match D64, as described here:

http://lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/lococoal/Diag064.php

Anyway, the conclusion on brake gear is that it would have been the same sort of variations as D1, D2, D4 etc, But check out the brake lever, there were many variations in its shape.

Chris

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

That pricing makes van bodies look much more attractive. Thanks. I'll pass the word around. Do you know of a good reference work for these?

I like the look of your LNWR D84 and D103 wagons. Any chance of making those available? I'm close to finishing the artwork for the other LNWR wagon chasses, although I'll shortly be away for a few week so it''ll probably be late July before I finish them. However, I've already taken a look at the 9'9" chasses as in the D84 and D103.

Cheers

Nigel